cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No longer able to add devices to Chomecast Remote (Chromecast with Google TV)

iketricktor
Community Member

I was having issues with my Chromecast giving no signal to my Sony TV even though it was on. I contacted Google and they said my device was out of warranty and that I needed to buy a new one, so I did. This new device was having the same issues, so it got warrantied.

I am now on my third Chromecast and now I can't add my TV as a device for the Chromecast remote to control. When I go to settings --> remotes and accessories --> set up remote buttons --> add a device, I get to the screen where it's looking for the brand of the TV and I get an error saying "something went wrong". No matter how many times I select try again, it gives me the same error. I have two different remotes paired to the same Chromecast and they're both giving me that error. 

I have tried a factory reset along with clearing the data in the "Android TV Infrared Service" app and neither has worked.

This was not an issue with the previous Chromecast. What can I do to fix this? I really don't want to get stuck in the cycle of continuously getting warranty replacements and having to start all over.

91 REPLIES 91

Pewima
Community Member

Same issue here and truly hope there is a better way to resolve this other than a factory reset? Come on Google - why are you no longer replying to this thread??

benweston88
Community Member

Yep. Same here. 75" Samsung 4K TV and brand new, fully updated, Chromecast 4K and selecting ‘Add device’ under ‘Set up remote buttons’ spins for a second then takes me straight back to the previous menu. Have updated the Android TV Infrared Service. Can power TV on and off with HDMI-CEC but no volume control.

UPDATE: I got it working by factory resetting the Chromecast and setting it up manually with the remote, not the Home app. Everything now works as expected. Clearly there's an issue with the automated setup via the Hub. I had also updated the Chromecast to the latest version of the OS before I reset it – it didn't fix the issue but perhaps it helped it after it was reset? Either way, if you update, factory reset and then set up manually, it works.

jwasch
Community Member

Same issue here.  Two brand new Chromecast/Google TV devices.  TV set to enable CEC.  No display of list of TV manufacturers when select to add device TV.  Just goes back to previous screen without doing anything.  Would like to keep them but Amazon Fire Stick is looking more favorable.  Not because there are problems, but because this seems to have been occuring since last October with no resolution or outlook for resolution.  I'd appreciate someone from support team to explain step-by-step the "workaround" others have had success with.  Is this done from Google Home on my cell phone, or from the remote?  Afterwards, is it necessary to disable further SW updates to prevent the fix from being overwritten or once the fix is established, is it okay to update SW?  

I got it working by updating the Chromecast and all its apps, factory resetting and then setting up again manually with the remote, not the Home app. In that order. Tedious but now works.

jwasch
Community Member

VERY happy to say benweston88 reply information worked.  Selected Factory Reset and went through setup again.  This time, when presented with QR code, I selected manual remote method at bottom of screen and typed-in credentials using remote.  On the way up, it mentioned it recognized SAMSUNG TV, and after full setup, volume and power worked as expected.  

User22
Community Member

Now in May 2024...same issue on initial setup. I select Add New Device, then select TV, the in-progress circle displays for just a second and then I'm back to Add New Device with no list of TVs to select from. 

The factory reset, as described by Icemage99, worked and now remote works as it should. 

Focr06
Community Member

Just like eveyone else here.. Brand new Chromecast w. Google TV 4K. I go to add device, and it goes back to the previous screen. Did reset it twice already. Same problem. When are you going to fix this? 

Steg24
Community Member

I have the same issue here. On an Samsung TV.

MichalW
Community Member

I had same issue, not able to add tv to remote and for example volume buttons not working. This is my first day with chromecast 4k. Reverting to factory settings solved the issue. That time, during initial setup trough google home, there was no update, and pilot configured itself ! My LG TV was added automaticaly. Volume buttons and power all works. I can also see the list now when i try to add tv, but no need. So... going to system/info and doing reset to factory settings solved the issue and system is up to date.

CPeto
Community Member

Thanks, and yes exactly the same result here. But it did take a couple of attempts and on the 2nd attempt it did it automatically. 

Shoffman
Community Member

Encountering this bug with a brand new 50$ 4k Chromecast. Can not add any other devices to my remote. I click soundbar button, it just sends me back to previous screen.

Rafael-Souza
Community Member

Same issue here. Brand new Chromecast TV. My older one has no issue to add devices