cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Since the update to Android 12 disconnects from the ethernet.

Dick268
Community Member

Since the update to Android 12 my Chromecast with Google TV disconnects from the ethernet.  

When switching on, after power to it has been disconnected overnight,  it connects to the ethernet but as soon as I switch on the VPN (Nord) the connection is lost.  If Chromecast is switched on and off while power is connected, no problem.

I have tried replicating the problem with the ethernet cable unplugged, using wi-fi, and the Chromecast works OK.

The ethernet is connected via an Anker7-in-1 USB-C PD Ethernet Hub, for extra storage, which is powered by a UGreen  65W GaN Fast Charger.

No problems before the update.  Connection can be restored by unplugging and plugging in the cable which means getting out of my armchair!

I could leave the power connected overnight, that would solve the problem, but in the interests of economy I don’t want to leave things on standby when not used.  This would also solve  the problem of the apps on the hub reverting to a seemingly random order after I have moved them into a logical order.

Any ideas anyone?

44 REPLIES 44

pingwin
Community Member

Hi Jeran,

That is right, Chromecast Support reached me. Yes of course I can share it with the community.

My problem is as describe by many users above.
I have an ethernet hub attached to the 4K chromecast with ethernet connection configured.
After every few days a connection to the internet is lost, by itself. I restart the device (settings >> system >> restart) but ethernet connection is not being established.
To fix the issue and restore the ethernet connection I need to deattach the plug from the socket for a few seconds. And I need to do this approx 3 times a week.
Below is the reponse from Chromecast Support (full, without any edits, only case number is removed).

pingwin
Community Member

Google Support:

Thanks for reaching out to the Google Nest Customer Care Team.

I'm sorry about the hassle that this has caused you but let's understand this more. So you're using an Ethernet Hub and to maintain a designated allocation you set a Static IP for the Chromecast device.

To begin with, the Chromecast device is intended to utilize WiFi connectivity. But of course there are users that prefer wired connections. For that, we have the "Ethernet Adapter for Chromecast with Google TV" that can be purchased from Google Store. This secures connection by prioritizing LAN (setting WLAN as secondary) without the need for setting up Static IP. See the attached file (screenshot) below for reference.

If your setup was working before, that's good but the Chromecast device is not intended to work that way because we have this particular product for this kind of setup. So if you lose that advantage after the update, it means the security patches have secured the device for its unintended functions which are unfortunately exploited by tech savvy individuals.

You can utilize the WiFi connection if you don't have the Ethernet Adapter for Chromecast with Google TV. It is working as intended.

For your reference your case number is xxx. If you need more help, you can contact us again and reference this case number or reply to this email to reopen your case.

Have a new question? There are lots of ways to get back in touch with us below.

pingwin
Community Member

I've been working in the networking industry for a long time and I know a thing or two about it.

According to my knowledge any network device that loses communication and as a result cannot work as intended should never be released.
From Google's Support perspective it seems to be "by design"

Every feature that is enabled/available/active on the device MUST work.
From Google's Support perspective:

if it works then FINE
if it does not work then FINE

and the best one
Google support: "security patches have secured the device for its unintended functions which are unfortunately exploited by tech savvy individuals."
>> So I assume someone with a very long ethernet cable can break into my house, plug it into my Google Chromecast and exploit me...

So Jeran, what do you think?
Do you think this solution satisfies the users?

Droidkid
Community Member

I have the same issue I have a Chromecast with android tv and an OEM Ethernet power adapter 

Dick268
Community Member

New update available. STTE.220920.016.H1

I updated yesterday, I don't know what difference it made. Perhaps it will solve the ethernet problems that some still have.