cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Stuttering (still in late 2023!)

MarkHenryC
Community Member

I'm starting a new  thread as I've read all related ones I could find and haven't seen this resolved.

Please assume all conditions are good (bandwidth, device been reset, latest updates, all other streaming apps work fine etc).

The stuttering in all apps I've tried - including Amazon/Paramount, Stan (AU), live streamed sport - makes this device unusable. The store won't accept a return as they believe it's not actually faulty, just a poor quality device.

Is there an option to return this to a Google distribution centre to establish whether it's actually faulty? If it's simply poor quality hardware/software, is there a chance it can be improved via updates?

I was happy with the built-in apps on my Samsung 4K TV, but much prefer the Google interface and voice control.

I am hoping that this is an anomaly and not a reflection of Google's quality standards.

10 REPLIES 10

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

I assume that the same streaming services work on a different device on the same network ?  As in a laptop, using wifi, positioned near your Chromecast with Google TV, no stuttering? 

It's not an overall 'product line' issue as I use the ccwgtv at home and it works flawlessly, unless there is a WiFi issue of course. 

MarkHenryC
Community Member

Thanks for the response. Yes, the conditions are identical to those of the built-in TV app and, for example, a laptop streaming via browser. Switching back and forth, it's very obvious that everything stutters with the CC but not with other devices.

I'm glad it's not an inherent product issue, so hopefully there's a fix and I can use the device.

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

My only suggestion would be to try to change the output settings to 4k @ 50hz , see if that clears it up.  Can you try that? 

Thanks again for the input. I did actually try 50hz (and other lower frequencies), as a last resort before attempting to return the CC device - and did get some improvement. Not perfect, but noticeably better. However, when I went back to the TV's internal app (Tizen) the result was still smooth. No jitter at all. Appearance also seemed to be crisper on the TV app - but that's pretty subjective.

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

I am wondering, does your TV have a "game mode" or something similar ?  That could be causing the issue.  before thinking its the CC, My suggestion would be to try it on a different make and model TV and see if the issue remains, if so then that would strongly suggest the CC is defective. 

Hi. There is a game mode but it's only available when there's a game console attached (xbox, PS, Switch). So no, it's not enabled. I don't have another 4K TV in the house, so if the Chromecast 4K with Google TV doesn't work with a Samsung Series 7, then it's of no use to me (and a large number of others I presume). Thanks for the input.

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

I'm using with a Samsung qd OLED no issues.. but I just remembered I did have to disable the "match framerate" option in the Chromecast, did you try that ?

Thanks for the tip. I had set 'match framerate' to non-seamless so I could see when it was happening but didn't notice a difference. Will try with it switched off.

I have the same. I have already made various attempts, so far without success.
I set "adjust frame rate" to off but didn't notice a difference.

Tried that. No difference. While the quality of the Chromecast 4K makes streamed shows unpleasant to watch, live sport is unusable. Latest test clearly showed reqular stuttering and obvious skipped frames, but when switching to inbuilt TV app the movement was smooth and the picture was sharper with better colour.