cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

set up remote buttons. something went wrong

RockyRode
Community Member

Not able to set up Chromecast remote volume, power, and input buttons. Error I get is "something went wrong". All 3 use to work. I have factory rest the remote and Chromecast device. I have updated the remote and device in settings.

1 Recommended Answer

kelanfromgoogle
Community Manager (Admin)

Hi folks!

Many of you have already discovered that we started rolling out a new firmware update that contains a fix for this issue. It might take a couple weeks for everyone to automatically receive the update, but you can manually download the new build by following these steps: https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6292664 

Once you receive the new build, be sure to perform one of the two sets of extra troubleshooting steps outlined below.

Thank you again for your patience. If updating your firmware and following one of the below methods doesn’t fix your problem, please create a new topic for further discussion. 

Best,
Kelan

Method #1 (recommended) - Clear the Axel Cache

Follow these steps to clear the cache for Axel on your device:

1. Navigate to your profile icon > select "Settings" > "Apps" > See all apps.

kelanfromgoogle_6-1689276011103.png

kelanfromgoogle_7-1689276068132.png

2. Select "Android TV Infrared Service"

kelanfromgoogle_8-1689276142676.png

3. Select "Clear data" and "OK" to clear the cache.

kelanfromgoogle_9-1689276231967.png4. After clearing the cache, you will need to set up the remote buttons by following the steps outlined here: Configure remote buttons in the Chromecast settings.

Method #2 - Factory Reset Your Device

Follow the instructions outlined here to perform a factory reset of your device. And you can re-setup your device by following the instructions on this page.

View Recommended Answer in original post

165 REPLIES 165

kelanfromgoogle

Hi folks!

Many of you have already discovered that we started rolling out a new firmware update that contains a fix for this issue. It might take a couple weeks for everyone to automatically receive the update, but you can manually download the new build by following these steps: https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6292664 

Once you receive the new build, be sure to perform one of the two sets of extra troubleshooting steps outlined below.

Thank you again for your patience. If updating your firmware and following one of the below methods doesn’t fix your problem, please create a new topic for further discussion. 

Best,
Kelan

Method #1 (recommended) - Clear the Axel Cache

Follow these steps to clear the cache for Axel on your device:

1. Navigate to your profile icon > select "Settings" > "Apps" > See all apps.

kelanfromgoogle_6-1689276011103.png

kelanfromgoogle_7-1689276068132.png

2. Select "Android TV Infrared Service"

kelanfromgoogle_8-1689276142676.png

3. Select "Clear data" and "OK" to clear the cache.

kelanfromgoogle_9-1689276231967.png4. After clearing the cache, you will need to set up the remote buttons by following the steps outlined here: Configure remote buttons in the Chromecast settings.

Method #2 - Factory Reset Your Device

Follow the instructions outlined here to perform a factory reset of your device. And you can re-setup your device by following the instructions on this page.

This solution worked!  Thank-you

Thank you, Method #1 worked for me great

Guiv
Community Member

I cleared the cache as instructed originally from the infrared service and voila! It now works! 

Brookhouser
Community Member

Please let me know when this is resolved 

Kellos
Community Member

Same problem here. Reset device for another reason. Wouldn’t pair via app had to do it all manually. Remote IR wizard failed during setup and again later after apps installed. Cleared app data and cache. I hope it’s fixed soon but I won’t hold my breath.