cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling with the google nest mini trouble with the caller ID

niro808
Community Member

Aloha,

I bought my dad a nest mini after he went blind to help him with things when we are not at home to help him. He can check the time and get some basic questions answered when he's wondering about something. The big help was the ability to call people without using his cell phone. When I first set everything up it all worked good. The system we came up with was when people would call his phone it would annouce the caller ID, then he would wait til they hung up and he would call them back using the nest and go through google voice. But now it won't show his phone number anymore and always comes up as 'Private Number.' There used to be the option to use his cellphone number and use the verification code sent via sms. That option is no longer there in Call Providers anymore and only has Google Voice and Google Fi as options. Most people don't answer private number calls and google assistant blocks them anyway. Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks,

Nick

3 REPLIES 3

Slaya
Community Member

Like to bump this issue. Google Voice is linked. The option to remove it is gone which is strange. 

Calling out says Unknown. Also have Google Meet linked. Tried factory reset on the Google Home devices which where stubborn as heck to get setup again so I caution anyone trying to factory reset. <-- Did Fix it asking which to call Phone or Meet though.

"Calls made from speakers and Smart Displays will not show up with a caller ID unless you’re using Duo" Duo is now Meet: https://www.androidauthority.com/removing-google-assistant-features-2024-3401964/

I am confused? So does this mean calls with Google Voice will have no caller ID anymore? Is Meet providing the Caller ID lookups or do they mean with Meet to Meet calls? Does Meet do phone calls?

What the heck? It makes zero sense to lose caller ID with Google Voice

Ajp1011
Community Member

I have the same issue, would love a resolution because I like to use my home mini to talk to my parents while I'm messing around in the kitchen but their home phone won't accept calls fr restricted numbers

nickdc1964
Community Member

Same issue here. There are some other threads which suggest a fix but it does not work.