cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Dog Detection not working

salbando
Community Member

Has anybody been able to get either the starter: device.event.AnimalDogDetection or the starter device.event.AnimalCatDetection to work? My camera is the Google Nest Cam (outdoor or indoor, battery). I have seen many different types of dogs walk in front of my camera, but my automation never executes. I have checked the execution log and it just says, "Logs will be added here each time this automation starts".

2 REPLIES 2

KatyaKozo
Community Member

Was having the same problem with the device.event.AnimalCatDetection
The only solution I've found for now:
starters:
- type: device.event.AnimalCatDetection
device: Loft Entry camera - Loft Entry
- type: device.event.AnimalDogDetection
- type: device.event.AnimalOtherDetection

*I've also got all of the different event types enabled via the device settings (in this case cam) on the google home app

I've got two cats and want to know when they're at the upstairs door and want to be let in, but to not be alerted when my partner and I come and go. The Nest Cam does a good job of detecting person vs animal but not specifically cat it seems... Hopefully this helps!

Yes, I have noticed that it does a good job distinguishing between person and animal. I am curious why your routine has the cat and dog part, since the AnimalOtherDetection is what is triggering. Are you keeping them in, (like I am in my routines), on hope that someday they trigger? Or have you checked the log and actually seen that they have occasionally triggered? You see, my problem is that I have made a device to run my sprinklers when motion is detected. Currently, they don't run when a person goes into the yard (which is good), but they of course run when my dog goes there (sad for him). So I need OtherAnimalDetection to work, but I need to exclude AnimalDogDetection.