cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Automation make my ceiling fan turn on when the Nest Thermostats turns on the Heat?

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hello everyone,  I want to do something that seems simple but I'm overwhelmed by how the automation programming works.

All I need is when my Nest Thermostats turns ON the Heat in the house that my living room ceiling fan (in Smart Things) turns ON.  Then when the heat turns OFF the fan turns off.

Is this relatively easy to do?

1 Recommended Answer

ImNotANestUser
Community Member

In theory it should be easy...

1. In the google home app, go to the automations section.
  2. Click the + sign to add a new automation.
  3. Select 'Household'  (Personal routines cannot be started from device activity)
  4. Click "+ Add starter"
  5. Click "When a device does something"
  6. Hopefully, you'll see the Nest Termostat.  Click on it and you'll see the options you have for starting the routine.  Note: These are the only choices you have, if none of them are satisfactory I'm afraid you're out of luck.  Assuming things are okay, continue with step 7.
  7. Click 'Add starter'
  8. Click "+ Add Action'
  9. Click "Adjust Home Devices"
  10. Click on your fan and set it to turn on.
  11. Click "Add action"
  12. Add the top, you'll see the name of your automation (for a new automation it should be called "Untitled"
  13. Click on the pencil icon and give you automation a better name.
  14. Click "Save"

I know this seems like a lot but once you get the hang of it, it goes pretty fast.

Good luck!

View Recommended Answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ImNotANestUser
Community Member

In theory it should be easy...

1. In the google home app, go to the automations section.
  2. Click the + sign to add a new automation.
  3. Select 'Household'  (Personal routines cannot be started from device activity)
  4. Click "+ Add starter"
  5. Click "When a device does something"
  6. Hopefully, you'll see the Nest Termostat.  Click on it and you'll see the options you have for starting the routine.  Note: These are the only choices you have, if none of them are satisfactory I'm afraid you're out of luck.  Assuming things are okay, continue with step 7.
  7. Click 'Add starter'
  8. Click "+ Add Action'
  9. Click "Adjust Home Devices"
  10. Click on your fan and set it to turn on.
  11. Click "Add action"
  12. Add the top, you'll see the name of your automation (for a new automation it should be called "Untitled"
  13. Click on the pencil icon and give you automation a better name.
  14. Click "Save"

I know this seems like a lot but once you get the hang of it, it goes pretty fast.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the reply.   Yes, it looks easy.   Unfortunately I got stuck at #6 as it doesn't offer the choice of when heat actually turns on/off.    It only offers "Mode Change" which is when the Mode of the thermostats is changed from heating to cooling or OFF or ECO, etc.   It also lets me choose when certain temperates are met.  But that isn't quite what I'm looking for.

I will send them some Feedback requesting this change.

Nest not showing