cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot view invitation request when adding user to Google Home

tschuh
Community Member

Hi there, I've been trying to add my wife to my Google Home, but the invite link I sent to her account leads to a page that says "Here's how to get started." and "Download the Google Home app." with a link to go to the app store. I can't find a way to get past this screen, nor where to accept the invite within either of our apps.

I've tried:

• deleting and resending the invite
  • both sending an invite to join the home from my end, and requesting to join from her end
  • deleting and redownloading the app through the link on both of our phones (both iOS)

Definitely frustrated with the lack of documentation on this. Help appreciated, thank you!

1 Recommended Answer

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

This is documented here:
Share a home and devices in the Google Home app - Google Nest Help

The email address you invite must be a personal Gmail account, or if the person you’re inviting to the home uses another email provider, they must create a Google account using that email address. Once they receive and accept the invite, your device(s) will show up in their Nest or Google Home apps, as appropriate.

View Recommended Answer in original post

17 REPLIES 17

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

This is documented here:
Share a home and devices in the Google Home app - Google Nest Help

The email address you invite must be a personal Gmail account, or if the person you’re inviting to the home uses another email provider, they must create a Google account using that email address. Once they receive and accept the invite, your device(s) will show up in their Nest or Google Home apps, as appropriate.

tschuh
Community Member

Hi David, thanks for your reply.

Both of our accounts are personal Google accounts, so I don’t think that’s the issue.

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

So you are receiving the email with the invitation to the home, but you're saying it doesn't have a clear accept button or link?

tschuh
Community Member

Sort of. The email itself has a blue button entitled "View Request" that links to the page I described in the first post, but from there, there's no obvious way to accept or even view the invite - just a prompt to download the app (which is already downloaded.)

DMY
Community Member

Very useful detail (@ gmail.com mandatory)

i have a similar issue: I’ve set up my home account with own domain email, managed by gmail. But not @@gmail.com

i can’t invite anyone, even on a personal account

Google home owner :  @ my domain.com (Google workspace)

invite to be sent to : @ gmail.com 

do I have any other solution than deleting home account and rebuilding everything from scratch ?😱

thanks

kierands
Community Member

Having the same issue. It keeps getting to the screen where it says Here's how to get started. Download the Google Home app. I have already tried deleting the app and following the link to download the google home app from this screen but then nothing happens

saltynut
Community Member

I am having the exact same issue too.  Please can you advise how this can be fixed.

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Assuming the person you've invited is logged into the app with the account you invited, ask them to tap the bell/notification icon at the top right. They should see your home invitation here?

ekmhenry
Community Member

Same issue here

dbflaw
Community Member

My husband has the google home and invited me to join a home.  I created a brand new gmail account just for this purpose and when I go to "view invitation" it just takes me to the Google Home app I downloaded and that's it. It does not connect to anything.  I can "create a home" but do not want to since one already exists. Can you please assist. This is time sensitive. 

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Tap the bell/notification icon at the top right of the app. Do you see the invitation here?

MeganY
Community Member

I am having the same issue - there is no invite under the bell or “inbox”

Klberger
Community Member

Same issue, “view invite” but that takes me to setting up a new “home”. Nothing in the notification bell. I have resent the invite, deleted and redownloaded. I am using a Gmail account and checked that I am logged in with the same email that the invite was sent to. What’s the issue?? 

dirkuss
Community Member

Same issue here. No notification in the "Bell", opening the invite link just tells them to download the app or opens the app and does nothing. Please advise/fix this. 

JustAWife
Community Member

It seems to be because Google hates women.  Seriously.  I can't access the devices in my own home unless I sign in under my HUSBAND'S account? 

The app has a feature to invite another account to join the home. But it doesn't work and Google knows it doesn't work but they don't care. 

Chat agent says it's "by design and policy" but "we will take your feedback on this issue" which is BS.

"We only need someone over 18 to be present for the install"

As long as it's the person who set up the account and has their device on site. That's the part they don't tell you. So now I've wasted my day off to be here for the install and I can't even use it. 

dtnestguy
Community Member

Exact same problem. Wife obviously has a personal Gmail account. She installed the Home app. Invite email leads to a worthless landing page. The invite is not showing up in the inbox on the Home app.

One of the countless Google Home problems I've run into in past months. Regret committing to it.