cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Nest Doorbell battery exploded.

ChrisMayers
Community Member

So, for the sake of context, I probably use most google home products... The more useful ones that is (Cameras both indoor and outdoor, doorbells, thermostat etc).

Recently, my doorbell suddenly stopped charging. I unmounted it, brought it inside, plugged in the charger (USB cable) and swapped several charging blocks....no luck.

Finally, I decided to check out the support pages for assitance. Before reaching out to google I checked my warranty. Expired....

When I then contacted Google with hopes that I can probably find a way to have the doorbell serviced, they told me that I may be able to get it replaced but I would have to wait a few days as this would require approval. No problem.

After some time, when I didn't get a reply, I reached out again to find out the status of the request. The rep I spoke to, quickly shut me down saying that I have to wait and someone will contact me.

Another two days and I reached out again only to be told that my request was denied.

Now to the fun part. So, the doorbell doesn't turn on... And I remember getting a notification saying that the battery was not charging....so my first idea was to change the battery and so I did a search, found a battery and decided to take the battery out just to compare before buying one. So with my unmounted camera in hand I took off two screws popped the case open and saw a battery. It was stuck on to the case... Why though... Hmm... Anyway, I decided to pry it off there were no signs of a screw holding it in place. With a small, flat screwdriver I started prying and shhhhhhhhh pffffffff! Fireworks!

Dear Google, I'm afraid that your doorbell is a fire hazard and what sucks is that you don't provide hardware support. I am now unsure if I should purchase another Google product. 

10 REPLIES 10

Awm
Community Member

Not trying to shill for Google here, but to be fair, you pried it open, likely hitting (puncturing) the battery with a flathead screwdriver. It’s not exactly fair to say the device is not safe, give. You did things that impacted the integrity and safety of the device. These types of batteries will do exactly why you described when punctured. 

ChrisMayers
Community Member

I agree that the device was "tampered" with. If you'd like to call it that. Safety is still an issue here. Anyone with the littlest bit of IT experience can get the device open exposing the battery. 

Awm
Community Member

The problem is, yes, anyone could do it, but unless you know what you’re doing you shouldn’t…or if you do, accept the fact that you’re opening a device that wasn’t designed to be serviceable therefor you’re composing the device and/or safety of it. I don’t disagree that people can open it. The party I disagree with is making the claim that the device is unsafe while admitting you took a flathead screwdriver to it and likely hit the battery. To be clear, I’m the same way. I’d gladly pull the thing apart and tinker/fix it….but I wouldn’t call out a safety issue due to my own off-the-book actions. 

ChrisMayers
Community Member

If you are going to quote me please be a little more accurate. I'm pretty sure that I didn't puncture the battery and it came apart. What's strange is that you're assuming that you know what happened. 

Awm
Community Member

Ok - let me sharpen my pencil here a bit for you. While your device wasn’t working properly, you made no indications that there was signs of risk. E.g., bloated battery, hot device, etc. prior to you attempting to “fix” it. You admit you pried open the device with a flathead screwdriver, that I presume was metal…and it just “exploded”. Anyone who has ever seen a battery of that type punctured knows that’s exactly what it does. The fact that you seem to think the device magically exploded with no assistance by a foreign object is really only speaking to your ignorance of your own actions. Clearly you didn’t intentionally hit the battery, but just based on your own description of the situation it’s pretty evident it wasn’t a situation where it happened to be perfect coincidental timing where your dead device just happened to explode at the very moment you took it apart. Come on man. The point is: the device is not made to be serviced in this way by untrained people. You took the risk and struck out. It happens…especially to us who tinker. But let’s just quit blaming an “unsafe” device, when in fact, the safety issue was self induced. 
Have a good evening. 

ChrisMayers
Community Member

Again, you are making an assumption based on the experiences you have. Good to have experience. Not good to make assumptions. This is amazing. You gave an opinion. Thanks. But you DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED! Stop trying to make yourself look bad when you have no evidence to back that up! And no, I'm not having a good evening. Obviously. 

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@ChrisMayers 

Perhaps you cracked or damaged the lithium-ion battery. Unfortunately, the batteries in Google Nest's cameras and doorbells are not designed to be user-replaceable.

This is Google Nest's "Safety & Regulatory Guide for Google Nest Doorbell (battery)":

https://support.google.com/product-documentation/answer/10957161

It says: "This device contains a rechargeable lithium-ion battery which is a sensitive component that can cause injury if damaged. Do not attempt to remove the battery."

Nicely quoted.... Fact that the battery is designed with a simple clip to disconnect the battery and the replacement battery is available online says that it can be replaced.

Fact that the documentation says what you quoted, doesn't mean that customers will read it. Simply removes responsibility. 

Google has refused to services my device. What am I expected to do? Buy a new camera every 3 years? 

Awm
Community Member

@ChrisMayers - I actually did a pretty thorough write up on the whole battery situation. See here: https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Cameras-and-Doorbells/No-alert-when-someone-rings-the-nest-do...

ChrisMayers
Community Member

Good for you. Unfortunately, I don't have any need for documentation. My device exploded....