cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nest Protect Integrations is not working

c0d3x
Community Member

I have 5 Nest Protects in my house that I want to use with my Home automation.

Ever since I got my devices 2 years ago there is still no option to use my devices for automation.

I have Google Home and Athom Homey Pro in my house, and I want to be able to use my smoke detection to trigger alarms and routines when it is happening.

This is however not possible after Google migrated the devices over to google platform.

When will the users be able to get a Nest Protect API to use smoke detection, movement in rooms etc to automate our smart house? You are still selling tons of these devices every day, and the community hear nothing from you regarding this issue. You would sell even more devices if you provided this feature, it is one of the moste wanted devices for protecting your house, still people are not buying because you do not provide solutions in this regard.

5 REPLIES 5

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

You can create some automations now with the script editor, which is part of Public Preview for the Google Home app.

Create advanced home automations with the script editor - Google Nest Help
Supported starters, conditions, and actions  |  Automations Script Editor  |  Google Home Developers

I'll include an example below for Nest Protect to flash the lights when high smoke level is detected.

metadata:
  name: Smoke detection lights
  description: When smoke level is high, flash the lights.
automations:
  starters:
    - type: device.state.SensorState
      device: Device Name - Room Name
      state: currentSensorStateData.SmokeLevel.currentSensorState
      is: high
  actions:
    # Only works for lights that support Pulse effect
    - type: device.command.LightEffectPulse
      devices:
        - Light Name - Room Name
        - Light Name - Room Name
      duration: 5min

DWB1973
Community Member

- type: device.state.SensorState
      device: Device Name - Room Name
      state: currentSensorStateData.SmokeLevel.currentSensorState
      is: high

It should also be mentioned that if you have not added a 'Label' to the Protect from within the Nest app, the script editor will display the Protect only as "Room Name - Room Name".  After adding a label, the script editor will display the Protect as "Room Name(Label) - Room Name".  Like this:

device: Bedroom(Protect) - Bedroom

A label is especially useful if you have more than one device of the same type in your household.  The instructions on how to add a 'Label' is here:

Change the names in the Nest app

Is this just a sign of things to come and is Google going to remove all 3rd party Home Automation systems (account linking and or API) to force people into using Google Home?  I thought the idea behind Matter is cross-compatibility.  Those of us who were happy with the Nest Protect until Google forced a migration and broke this functionality are still waiting on Google to fix it.  Next think I'll find out is that my Nest thermostats are on the chopping block. 

rsimoes
Community Member

Hi David,

So we are able to use script editor for Nest Protect triggers and actions?

If so, could you list the available triggers and actions for Nest Protect?

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

The only starter that's currently supported is the sensorstate example I gave above.

Nest Protect has no supported actions currently.

David_K_0-1714054791665.png

Supported devices  |  Automations Script Editor  |  Google Home Developers