cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Script Editor: Share your ideas and vote on others' ideas!

Prafulla
Googler
Googler

We built the Google Home script editor to give you more control over your home automations (announcement post). We are still in the early days of the script editor, and we highly value feedback and ideas from our community to shape its future.

You can use this post to:

• Share ideas that will help you build your next scripted automation
  • Vote on other people's ideas by clicking the "Kudos" button next to the idea

How do I submit an idea? Can I submit more than one idea?

To submit an idea, simply click the "Reply" button below this post and add your idea in the following format:

• Idea: Weather as a starter 
  • Example automation: If it's about to rain today, remind me to carry my umbrella.

We encourage you to submit as many ideas as you like, but please use one comment per idea so that it's easy for others to vote on your ideas.

How do I vote for an idea? Can I vote on more than one idea?

To vote for an idea, simply click the "Kudos" button next to the idea that helps you with your use case. Please use your votes thoughtfully so that we can clearly understand what matters to you the most.

Will my idea be implemented? Will the top-voted idea be implemented?

We will do our best to prioritize what is important across our entire community and look at feedback across many channels throughout the product cycle. We will very actively use your feedback in our prioritization exercise, but cannot make any guarantees or promises that you'll see your idea/feedback implemented into the product. That said, we will do our best to address the pain points and problems our community is trying to solve.

We look forward to hearing your ideas!

Prafulla Rawal, Senior Product Manager, Google Home

1 Recommended Answer

Prafulla
Googler
Googler

Hi everyone,

First of all, a huge thank you for your feedback and ideas!  The engagement here has truly exceeded our expectations, and we couldn't be more grateful for your participation.

As mentioned above, we cannot make any guarantees or promises that we will implement every idea, but we are actively considering all of this feedback as we prioritize future development.

In the meantime, we encourage you to keep sharing your ideas and upvoting the ideas of others.

Thank you again for your time and input.

Prafulla Rawal, Senior Product Manager, Google Home

View Recommended Answer in original post

379 REPLIES 379

bothygesen
Community Member

Idea: To be able to use sensor data from a Philips Hue motion sensor

Example automation:  To close blinds/ curtains/ shutters when the sensor is exposed to direct sunlight.

Context: All HUE motion sensor also measure LUX. These values are not available to see in the Google Home app nor the native HUE app itself.
But some 3rd party apps like "Hue essentials" give you access to the level of light measured by the motion sensor.

At the moment i have a HUE motion sensor sitting in my window. Once it measures more than 30.000 LUX - which is direct sunlight - it will trigger a lamp to turn on, and when that lamp turns on my blinds/ shutters will close.

This is of course a workaround and not ideal, and i would obviously be much more happy to be able to create this scenario and automation directly in the Google Home app using the LUX data directly.

One thing that i dont understand is, why not all sensor data is available in the Google Home app.
I have several Shelly products, and on my Google Nest hub i can access both temperature and humidity data. But in the Google Home app only humidity.
How hard can it be to display the data, when the sensor is providing it?

Same with the HUE motion sensor. They measure both movement, temperature and light level/ LUX. It should not be that hard to make the data available in the Google Home app.....

/Bo Thygesen

Esca
Community Member

Further more I can ask google home by VOICE and it will tell me the ambient temperature from a sensor or humidifier etc, but I can't see it in the app?? Absolutely ridiculous!

rsc
Community Member

The ambient temp is right there next to the humidity at the bottom labeled "indoor" with the current thermostat setting up on the big rotary dial at the top. If you're not saying that you probably just need to update the app. Also, please keep comments and replies on-topic (limited to ideas or suggestions for the script editor) . Thx

Not being able to use lux levels is my biggest pain. Therefore home assistant is still running in background.

Snak3d0c
Community Member

IDEA:
Allow for a variable to store (and then restore) the state of an object.
In my case this objects are Philips Hue light bulbs.

Example automation:
I have it setup (with tasker) that when someone presses the doorbell, the lights across the house flash in a red color x-amount of times.

When the lights are on at the time someone rings the bell, it will remember the initial color (or state) , flash that light in red and once the automation is over, it will return it to its original color. If the light was off, it will turn it back off.

This is useful in different areas in the house where the doorbell's reach isn't as loud or inaudible all together.

- When in the garden (floodlights will flash)
- In the bedroom (when asleep i don't get woken by sound but i do by light)
- At my office, when the music is on i don't here the doorbell

dsto
Community Member

Great suggestion! I was going to suggest exactly the same idea (save a device's state to variable and restore it), but I'd like to do this with my Nest thermostat. I'd like to create a "cool me off" routine that lowers the temperature on the thermostat for 20 minutes, then restores it to whatever it was before.

Alphabet
Community Member

Idea: Toggle Option for OnOffCommand`

Example automation: Turn a light that is off, on or turn a light that is on, off. This would work for any device that supports `OnOffCommand`.

Hi @Alphabet - While this is a great idea, sharing a workaround that you can use for now. The script below uses assistant.command.OkGoogle to toggle the device with the help from Google Assistant. Give it a try and see if this helps?

metadata:
  name: Test toggle
  description: Toggle a device using Assistant query

automations:
  starters:
    - type: assistant.event.OkGoogle
      eventData: query
      is: Test automation

actions:
    - type: assistant.command.OkGoogle
      okGoogle: Toggle living room lamp
      devices: Living room display - Living room

Yes, that does work, in certain instances, for now. Thank you!

Ha I didn't realize this was an option in Assistant, and already wrote a script doing it for my bedroom light. Good to know! 🙂

KrajeQ
Community Member

this works, but doesn't google home play the annoying sound when toggling?

If a sound is played maybe have a global script option to adjust volume of sound from a value of 0-10 . For example, hear a "chime" if a door sensor detects a state change from closed to open;  set the sound playback to 8. Or if in this case you want the atuomation to be silent set to 0

you can mute the volume on the first action and unmute at the last action

Diazed
Community Member

Idea:  Google Calendar entries as starters or condition

Example automation: The lights are not turned on in the morning when you are off and don't have to go to work. Have the lights switch when your faviourite team plays. Use lights as a sublte reminder for appointments. 

You could react to the start or end of a calendar entry.
Or have the condition that checks for all-day long events. 

3oris
Community Member

Also Idea: Have date based starters or conditions

Example: I want certain things only to happen during specific seasons, e.g. have the heater started daily only between Oct and Apr.

lasantosr
Community Member

This is extremely powerful! It's so annoying when the lights wake you up on a day off

It would be great if we could have conditions based on if a calendar event exists or not on a given calendar (search by event name and/or calendar name)

Also, it would be cool to be able to specify the email of the calendar account, for those houses with more than one user.

ha11sy
Community Member

would be cool as for the kids, on their birthday, could start singing happy birthday to them on their Google Nest Hubs in their room 🙂

Diazed
Community Member

Idea:  Support for managing Alarms

Example automation: Pause my alarm when my motion sensor noticed me walking around  10min prior. Don't start my alarm when nobody is at home. Don't wake me up when i am off work that day. 

Diazed
Community Member

Idea:  Support sleep sensors (Nest Hub 2 / FitBit Watches ..)

Example automation: Turn off the bedroom lights when someone fell asleep there. Set an alarm that wakes me up in 1hour (Alarms not yet supported)  when i'm falling asleep mid day. Turn off my doorbell when i am asleep (Also far from supported)

Vitor_Videira
Community Member

Idea: weather / temperature / humidity as starters

Example automation: when temperature is over 24°C turn on a fan. When the humidity is over 70% turn on a dehumidifier. When it's too sunny close the blinds.

+1 wonderfull idea. With a meteo service like weather forcast for example or even with personnal sensor

+1 I really hope for this feature! Important would be not only the temperature, but as you mentioned, the weather description, for example "sunny" etc., so you could set up a trigger with several combined variables to control your blinds or thermostat

Agree with you, an excellent exemple is : if it's rain close my awning, If wind > 25km/h close my awning, if sunny open my awning only if I'm at house, etc....

ha11sy
Community Member

This would be amazing, having smart blinds on the rear deck, sense when light levels / sunlight levels reach certain level and wind is not above x km/hr lower the blinds.

I would just like google to tell me the weather without being so technical about it when I first wake up.
I suppose that could work as a starter as well. Currently it will just say the specific temperature

if weather >80F announce "It's going to be hot today"

Would also appreciate a description, hot and sunny, hot with some late showers etc.

SgtPlatta
Community Member

Idea: motion sensors as starters
Automation: when a motion does not detect motion for X seconds or minutes then perform action Y

Hi @SgtPlatta - This is already supported. Check this example that turns off the light if there is no motion for 5 minutes.

Hi @Prafulla  can you please confirm which devices work with the motion detection starter or condition? I can't find any information on this and many users appear to be reporting that their motion sensor information isn't actually available in Google Home.

Hi @aceofbase -- Check out the list of supported devices here. Note that this list is updated periodically (not in real-time) and is not exhaustive. Some devices and integrations may be missing, and some may not always work. Also note that non-motion sensor devices e.g. camera can also be used to detect motion and we are working on enabling camera events as starters.

Batwam
Community Member

what is the timeline for Nest Camera motion detection for People/Animals/Vehicle/Others to be implemented as a starter?

Alfred2
Community Member

Yes, we need an ETA for the Camera Motion Starter. This feature is already in Home Assistant for Nest Cameras so it should definitely be available in Google Home!

ViciousNarwhal
Community Member

About time Google releases this long promised capability, but mostly too late just like in the "AI" game.  I've moved on to using Home Assistant for automations.  It's now my primary place to connect devices which I selectively share to Google Home.  Google Assistant is now just the dumb voice that I talk to to interact with Home Assistant.

The death of Google is going to be their loss of pioneering, being open, and taking chances.  They have so much potential, but the corp bureaucracy now gets in the way of releasing things until they've been so overly sanitized and locked down that they become almost useless.  Stop dragging your feet and stop trying to protect me from myself!!

Neston
Community Member

Idea: Add individual/personal home presence sensing as starter (based on phone location)

Example automation: Turn on office lights only when I arrive at home (not when any of my family members arrive home without me).

Another example would be setting different thermostat temperatures based on who is home.

Alice likes 72F; Bob likes 76F; Carl doesn't care about the temperature.

• Alice + Carl = 72F
  • Bob + Carl = 76F
  • Alice + Bob = 74F

Mwareman
Community Member

Idea: device connects to WiFi as a starter

Example automation:

when phone connects to WiFi turn on light(s)

delay timer for 30 minutes

turn off light(s)

On that note, it's also surprising if WiFi connection can't be used to tell who is present instead of location data.

Would likely need Google WiFi to allow this - otherwise you're relying on the phone to achieve this, and I could imagine this being very flakey.

Exactly, depending on which device connected and to which WiFi access point would then trigger different responses. 

IFTT supports this but yes would LOVE it directly supported in the script editor!