cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Script Editor: Share your ideas and vote on others' ideas!

Prafulla
Googler
Googler

We built the Google Home script editor to give you more control over your home automations (announcement post). We are still in the early days of the script editor, and we highly value feedback and ideas from our community to shape its future.

You can use this post to:

• Share ideas that will help you build your next scripted automation
  • Vote on other people's ideas by clicking the "Kudos" button next to the idea

How do I submit an idea? Can I submit more than one idea?

To submit an idea, simply click the "Reply" button below this post and add your idea in the following format:

• Idea: Weather as a starter 
  • Example automation: If it's about to rain today, remind me to carry my umbrella.

We encourage you to submit as many ideas as you like, but please use one comment per idea so that it's easy for others to vote on your ideas.

How do I vote for an idea? Can I vote on more than one idea?

To vote for an idea, simply click the "Kudos" button next to the idea that helps you with your use case. Please use your votes thoughtfully so that we can clearly understand what matters to you the most.

Will my idea be implemented? Will the top-voted idea be implemented?

We will do our best to prioritize what is important across our entire community and look at feedback across many channels throughout the product cycle. We will very actively use your feedback in our prioritization exercise, but cannot make any guarantees or promises that you'll see your idea/feedback implemented into the product. That said, we will do our best to address the pain points and problems our community is trying to solve.

We look forward to hearing your ideas!

Prafulla Rawal, Senior Product Manager, Google Home

1 Recommended Answer

Prafulla
Googler
Googler

Hi everyone,

First of all, a huge thank you for your feedback and ideas!  The engagement here has truly exceeded our expectations, and we couldn't be more grateful for your participation.

As mentioned above, we cannot make any guarantees or promises that we will implement every idea, but we are actively considering all of this feedback as we prioritize future development.

In the meantime, we encourage you to keep sharing your ideas and upvoting the ideas of others.

Thank you again for your time and input.

Prafulla Rawal, Senior Product Manager, Google Home

View Recommended Answer in original post

379 REPLIES 379

kseet
Community Member

Idea: In the Google Home App > Activity, when you have multiple automations show the automation name instead of the metadata name.

Screenshot_20230725-115309.jpg

Example:

metadata:
name: Kitchen room sensor
description: ...

automations:
- name: Set kitchen lights to Concentrate
starters: ...

- name: Set kitchen lights to Dimm
starters: ...

robing
Community Member

Idea: Seasonal routines or seasonal time differences

Why:

I want to trigger underfloor heating only in the winter or in the winter turn on lights earlier in the evening

robing
Community Member

Idea: When my Pixel is in pixel dock

Why: When I dock my pixel in my bedroom dock it means I'm going to bed, I want to trigger a routine. Currently there is docs for this but the pixel dock does not appear

https://developers.home.google.com/automations/schema/reference/entity/sht_device/dock_state

Meltar
Community Member

Idea: Response - Broadcast to the device that started the automation

Example: Whenever I launch my "Movie Time" automation (turn on TV, turn on chromecast and turn off the sitting room lights, a message "It's Movie time" would broadcast in the device that I talked to (My Kitchen google nest hub, My google nest mini in the sitting room or even my phone), to confirm the automation has ended.

Idalar
Community Member

I would be great an automation for example If I turn on the Chromecast my google home device ask if I want to turn off the lights my possible answer to that question will be Yes or Not, and google home takes to execute a routine according to my answer.

DWB1973
Community Member

The Nest Mini (2nd Gen) speaker is missing support for device.state.MediaState (playbackState) in the script editor - please add it.  I wonder why this option is missing from scripted automations, seeing how the speaker must report its media state status to the Home app.  Even though all of the device.command.Media commands are supported, media state is unsupported on the Mini.

nest_mini_mediastate_unsupported.jpg

Casimir
Community Member

This also applies to device.command.MediaNext, device.command.MediaPause, etc... And this is also true for the Nest Audio and I presume other speakers.

MSFDC
Community Member

Idea: Support for handling PIN code with assistant.command.OkGoogle

Example automation: When I got home, indoor cameras and sensors can be turned off and the outdoor cameras keeps working.

Some third-party cameras require a PIN to be turned on or off through Google Assistant, which makes it impossible to automate the action within the current routine feature.

CarlDC
Community Member

Idea: Possibility to start existing routines from within another routine

Example: You have a routine to turn out the lights, let's call it "Turn Out Lights", and a routine to turn on the cameras (Google Nest Cam), let's call it "Turn On Cameras". It would be more efficient to be able to run both routines from another routine without having to reprogram both routines. E.g. a bedtime routine "I'm going to sleep" that activates both routines "Turn Out Lights" and "Turn On Cameras".

Code Example:

starters:
- type: assistant.event.OkGoogle
   eventData: query
   is: I'm going to sleep

actions:
- type: routine.command.Run
   routine: Turn Out Lights

- type: routine.command.Run
   routine: Turn On Cameras

CarlDC
Community Member

Idea: Possibility to configure individual parameters of Google products from within a routine

Example: I have a Google Nest Doorbell which I would like to function as a simple doorbell during the day without detection of "Seen events". But at night I would like to have it function like a kind of security cam the detects movements and people (settings currently mannually available in "Seen events"), and sends me notifications.

To be able to configure these parameters from within a routine, would make it easier to manage the doorbell (and other products).

Code Example:

starters:
   is: Turn on security functionality

actions:
- type: device.SeenEvents.OnOff
   devices: Google Nest Doorbell
   setting: People
   on: true

- type: device.Notifications.OnOff
   devices: Google Nest Doorbell
   setting: People
   on: true

teoh-g-home
Community Member

having the app option "device for audio" available, it will be good to have selection for no device, because there's devices that are offline, but I really don't like Google to tell that the device is unavailable.

amit-d
Community Member

weather as condition.
use case:
starter - home.state.HomePresence - already exists
condition - temperature > 25c (get from any weather api) - missing
actions - device.command.ActivateScene (turn on air condtion) - already exists

David36
Community Member

Idea: Increase support for Google Chromecast and Chromecast Audio (yes I know it was discontinued). Speakers already have a starter condition which is really weird ("if volume is", how the hell is that useful), just add a starter thats says if music is playing." The device state stuff isn't really working with the google home script editor. This is particularly useful for when the chromecast is inputted into a tv that can be turned on with a smarthome action or a speaker that can be turned on with a smarthome action. I have a tv that is next to a Switch-bot hub which has an ir blaster in it that can turn on the tv and my speakers are hooked up to a smart outlet.

Example: When music starts playing on this chromecast audio, turn on this smart outlet.

Example: When the chromecast tv is in use, trigger this switch-bot action.

durd_
Community Member

Idea: Dim or brighten select lights depending on media state
Example automation:

• If media state is paused, brighten lights somewhat
  • If media state is playing, dim lights
  • If media state is stopped, brighten lights

This would be for any Android or Google TV. I gave the script editor a try to get this working, but my TV does not support "device.state.mediaState" - even though the Google Home app can detect state, and control state.

ian8
Community Member

I would like to be able to set different actions depending on the day from the same command (i know i could do a morning and say weekend morning routine)

ie mon - fri open blinds, turn off elec blanket, tell me the weather and my commute

sat - sun open blinds, tell me weather and the news for the day

magellol
Community Member

This is exciting. I started to play with various scripts and naturally as a developer I wanted to push things a little further. I keep a copy of each routine locally so I have a history of the changes through git. It would been nice to have an API to push updates onto the assistant so I can automate my changes instead of having to copy/paste each routine in the UI. I have plans on generating the YAML from another language which has more capabilities and pushing them to the assistant would be really cool, maybe through a terraform provider even.

Thanks!

Prdel
Community Member

Idea

For selected lights, their default color temerature will be based on daytime. It can be based on sun position/color. 

For example

1. at the morning the light color will be 5000K (daylight cool)
  2. after 17:00 it changes to 3000K (warm white)
  3. than it gradually (hour by hour) goes warmer and warmer until 20:00 when it reaches the lowest color temperature, let's say around 2500K

David36
Community Member

Idea: Flic support flic support flic support flic support

FOR GODS SAKE FLIC SUPPORT!!!!!!!!

Leo89
Community Member

Hey all,

• Idea: autoplay music when device (Google Nest Minis) comes back online / turns on
  • Example automation: Play the radio when Google Nest Mini comes back online / turns on.

I have a few Google Nest Minis around the house (bathroom, cellar, etc.) which are usually off and come online when I turn on the lights. Usually I always listen to the same radio or playlist. 

device.state.OnOff

seems not to be supported for these devices.

Community Member

There is a solution for this, since your Google Nest Mini is always activated when you turn on a lightbulb, create a routine that when you turn on that lightbulb, it plays the radio you want to listen to. 

But if this lamp is not Smart, you can create a virtual switch there in the Google playground, and again create a routine with that virtual switch. 

Example: I created a virtual switch in the Google Playground, for the same purpose, so that everyone didn't have to give the same voice command, "ok Google, play X radio on all Google mini." With the virtual switch, I just say, turn on switch x or I press it myself through the smartphone and that's it. Music all over the house 

Leo89
Community Member

Hi @15624980 and thank you for taking the time writing your ideas, appreciate it!

The thing is, my Nest Minis are always off (=no power) and start up with the light (=power on). I would look for a starter event like "do on startup" or "do on power up".

I already have a routine for it to make it a bit quicker (just saying "ok google, play", I like the virtual switch idea.

A proper device state would be ideal!

Gk1984
Community Member

Work on an ability to share automations with other users and a "marketplace" to browse and add other users' automations. 

Zacjack_cz
Community Member

Idea: Temperature as a starter (for this sensor Broadlink SENSOR HTS2 temperaturecontrol)
Example automation: If temperatureAmbientCelsius is greaterThan 22C then turn Fan/Outlet On

shovon421
Community Member
  • Idea: action followed by a prompt
  • Example automation: If its 6 pm, ask me If all the lights should be on. Based on the answer, a specific action would implemented. Answer could have been preset and there could be a default answer if no answer is given in the Ok google prmpt.

ha11sy
Community Member

This would be amazing for sure. 

Zacjack_cz
Community Member
  • Idea: Get real attributes for devices
  • Reason: Currenty is hard to identify what type of attributes apply for devices (for example: [device.state.TemperatureSetting] no es compatible con el dispositivo [Temperatura - Sala].)

jawshr26
Community Member

Idea: Nest Cam Starters 

Example: I would like to broadcast or announce when a person has been seen on my cameras. I am so disappointed that Google's own nest cam's ONLY starter is if the device is off or on. 

Cathal_S
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

@jawshr26 

Don't be too disappointed ☹️

This is something that is probably going to be added soon.

Regards,
Cathal

Fazza92
Community Member

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone might have tried this out or confirmed if it's possible. I have a nest indoor wired camera in our little one's bedroom. She's now at an age where when she wakes up before us she likes to play around the room. Using the zones and motion detection on the nest wired cam, is it possible to use that as a trigger so it can do 1) turn on some of the smart lights in her room so she has light to play and 2) broadcast an alert in our bedroom that she's awake and playing?

Thanks!

Cathal_S
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

@Fazza92 

It's not currently possible to use camera events as triggers for something else but Google are apparently working on adding this sometime in the future.

Regards,
Cathal

I did something very similar using Google Home and Smart Things applications together. ST application can use the camera events of Google. 

In my case, if my camera detects motion, ST turns on a light. Then, another routine on Google Home plays a sound on a Nest speaker when the light is turned on during night. 

martin_macikk
Community Member

Idea:  Use bluetooth in Google Nest speakers as presence sensor 
Example automation:

When I walk in my room Google Nest mini recognize my watch's bluetooth and start Home routine.

When I'm not in my room speaker doesn't recieve bluetooth from my watch and it starts Away routine.

Bluetooth signal strength could also be used to triangulate location too. My August smart door lock does this to know I'm at the door and unlocks. This should be used to determine where we are in the house and trigger automations as well as determine which speaker responds when we say OK Google. 

Fazza92
Community Member

Hi all,

I'm looking for a way to automate my Roborock S7 MaxV Ultra with my home. Rather than having time scheduled cleaning sessions, I want to do something intelligently to clean up the kitchen and dining room once we're done with our dinner. I have smart lights/google hubs in both the dining room and kitchen that can technically act as a trigger (whether its turning off a light) but I want to know if anyone has come up with a much more genius method to doing this?

rtneg_com
Community Member

I want to create a home chime that rings at 0 minutes and 45 minutes past every hour. Please add an option to starters that allows setting it to ring every hour, similar to 'every hour'

Skyfie
Community Member

First off I'm super excited by the script editor and the additional functionality it opens up, keep up the great work guys!

Could possibly add ends after x amount of intervals or time based.
not sure if the condition setting would cover this but asking just in case

Gk1984
Community Member

You can make it time based already. It's a condition. You can use either specific times or sunset/sunrise. Below is an example:

conditions:
      - type: device.state.OnOff
        state: on
        # [available operators: is, isNot]
        is: false
        device: family room switch - Living Room
      - type: time.between
        # Optional. Accepts either clock time (10:00:00 AM, with seconds optional, or in a 24 hour format), or 'sunrise' or 'sunset', with an optional offset ('sunrise+10m', for instance)
        before: sunrise
        # Optional. Accepts either clock time (10:00:00 AM, with seconds optional, or in a 24 hour format), or 'sunrise' or 'sunset', with an optional offset ('sunrise+10m', for instance)
        after: sunset # Adjust offset as needed. Supported units: sec, min, hour
        # Optional. Days of the week to apply condition on.
        weekdays:
          - MON
          - TUE
          - WED
          - THU
          - FRI
          - SAT
          - SUN

Yusuf3
Community Member

Idea, I am working on a script to make google home mini ask a set of questions on get home after saying "hey google, I am home". I need the speaker to wait for a response to each a question before asking the next question till the set of questions are asked and responses saved and could be accessed later. However, i could only make the speaker ask the questions without waiting for a response before asking the next question. this feature would be highly needed if not present. here is my script 

metadata:
name: Acticheck
description: It will ask a patient in the bedroom a few questions about activities of the day.

automations:
starters:
is: 'Hi google, I am home'

actions:
- type: assistant.command.Broadcast
message: Welcome, are you available to answer questions at the moment?
devices: Bed1 speaker - Bed1

message: Do you feel that everything you did was an effort, or you could not get going in the last week?

Kaikai
Community Member

Idea: The ability to add conditionals for each action in an automation.
Example automation: In short, adding a double click to a button/switch. An automation is triggered from turning on a light switch. Start a delay for 2 seconds. If the light is now in the off state (the button was pressed again) then perform double click action (e.g. change color or brightness).

This is already possible by stringing together multiple automations, but it would be nicer (and faster) to have it all in one script.

Kaikai
Community Member

Actually, I've realized that it's not possible to string together automations together (almost like functions calls). If you set an event listener for a google home assistant command (like "OK Google, function foo"), it can only be triggered by the user! Other home automations cannot trigger the custom listener (even if they emit an assistant command, like "function foo" as part of the routine).