cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Script Editor: Share your ideas and vote on others' ideas!

Prafulla
Googler
Googler

We built the Google Home script editor to give you more control over your home automations (announcement post). We are still in the early days of the script editor, and we highly value feedback and ideas from our community to shape its future.

You can use this post to:

• Share ideas that will help you build your next scripted automation
  • Vote on other people's ideas by clicking the "Kudos" button next to the idea

How do I submit an idea? Can I submit more than one idea?

To submit an idea, simply click the "Reply" button below this post and add your idea in the following format:

• Idea: Weather as a starter 
  • Example automation: If it's about to rain today, remind me to carry my umbrella.

We encourage you to submit as many ideas as you like, but please use one comment per idea so that it's easy for others to vote on your ideas.

How do I vote for an idea? Can I vote on more than one idea?

To vote for an idea, simply click the "Kudos" button next to the idea that helps you with your use case. Please use your votes thoughtfully so that we can clearly understand what matters to you the most.

Will my idea be implemented? Will the top-voted idea be implemented?

We will do our best to prioritize what is important across our entire community and look at feedback across many channels throughout the product cycle. We will very actively use your feedback in our prioritization exercise, but cannot make any guarantees or promises that you'll see your idea/feedback implemented into the product. That said, we will do our best to address the pain points and problems our community is trying to solve.

We look forward to hearing your ideas!

Prafulla Rawal, Senior Product Manager, Google Home

1 Recommended Answer

Prafulla
Googler
Googler

Hi everyone,

First of all, a huge thank you for your feedback and ideas!  The engagement here has truly exceeded our expectations, and we couldn't be more grateful for your participation.

As mentioned above, we cannot make any guarantees or promises that we will implement every idea, but we are actively considering all of this feedback as we prioritize future development.

In the meantime, we encourage you to keep sharing your ideas and upvoting the ideas of others.

Thank you again for your time and input.

Prafulla Rawal, Senior Product Manager, Google Home

View Recommended Answer in original post

379 REPLIES 379

SriusBlack
Community Member

Idea: Identify different types of detections on Google cameras and trigger actions using detection types.

For example, only send a push notification to the phone if an animal is detected. But trigger multiple actions like turning on lights and playing some sounds on google home speakers if a person is detected. 

ha11sy
Community Member
  • Idea: Person's face match / presence as a starter
  • Example automation: I have 4 kids, all have face match setup on our nest devices, all have mobile phones which connect to google wifi, all have individual PIN/Fingerprint access through the door lock in the house, like any busy family, each child has a list of chores they do daily, would love it to remid them upon presence detection that task x,y,z. I could load up all the Tasks in (hahaha) Google Tasks and set the routines based off that.

Bonus points if the child could 'check off' the task as they go, so it could prompt them "hey buddy, have you completed your homework today?" and when they say yes (even though they are likely lying, it would check it off for them, once all tasks are completed, I could be notified that child X completed all chores this week and I can pay their allowance

ha11sy
Community Member
  • Idea: Have push notifications to mobile phones added as an endpoint
  • Example automation: I would love it if the automation script could send push notfications /broadcasts etc to mobile devices, all our family has Pixel devices and I have routines for example which will play a message on specific Nest Hub's but I would like the message to also go to a specific Mobile Device.

JamesHumphries
Community Member

Support for doorbells making chimes only,

The Nest 2nd Gen Battery doorbell only being able to play a doorbell chime AND visitor announcements or nothing at all is crazy, I would love to have someone hit my doorbell and I can control a chime only on which devices at which times,

Cheers!

ibarjar
Community Member

Requirement: Nest Doorbell trigger for "camera spotted a person".

Details: My Nest Doorbell sends a photo to my email when a person is spotted. I want to use this trigger to turn ON the porch light. As of now, only the "motion detected" is actionable. The problem with this is, when the dog opposite to my house wags it's tail, my porch light turns ON. How hard it is for Google to have an endpoint for "Person spotted"? This editor does not even cover 20% of what Smartthings or Alexa automation can do.

rsilverstein
Community Member
  • Idea: Delay action until a specific time.  I want my starter to be an OkayGoogle command, but not have the actual automation to start until an absolute time in the future.  Right now you're only able to delay based on a *relative* time.
  • Example automation:
    • Starter: OkayGoogle, I'll be home late tonight.
    • Actions:
      • time.delay until 8pm
      • turn front light on
      • time.delay until 12am
      • turn front light off

TS01
Community Member

As mentioned in the starting post -

• Idea: Use weather as a starter 
  • Example automation: If a weather event is detected at the users/devices location, for example rain, broadcast a message to devices, or change the state of a light, eg; change to blue.

krroller
Community Member

Motion Sensing:

1) Nest Thermostats, Nest Protects, Nest Hubs to all enable motion sensing triggers for a routine

2) Offer a stand alone motion sensor device that can enable a trigger for  a routine

Sergisoft
Community Member

Idea: Add the ability to know what device was the starter of an assistant.event.OkGoogle action.

Example automation: I would like to have some "Turn on the lights" automations that turn different set of lights depending on what device has listened to my OK google command.

paulnederland
Community Member

Idea: 

starters:
- type: weather.tomorrow
   state:  (temperaturetomorrowhigh, low, humidity, rain, overcast.....)
   is: (user defined value)

It's obvious actions would be to activate relays and temperature settings for HVAC systems (heating, cooling, fans).   This would allow me to switch water temperature settings to anticipate heating and cooling requirements and it would allow me to "charge" my water tank with the right temperature for cooling / heating. It would allow me to  charge my cool tank during the night when the heat pump would run at ridiculously high efficiency. 

tolunlade
Community Member

I currently get an error stating "Multiple devices named [Ceiling Light] in [Study]. Give each device a unique name."
But, I feel it might be a useful feature to treat this as an array of devices (they're all lights and "2d" arrays are already flattened regardless).

JS740
Community Member

Hey,

So I'm looking for a substitute for Nest Secure as an alarm system that is self monitored.  I live in Canada so there are less options than in the US and I'm also looking for something that doesn't have a monthly fee.

I bought the Aqara Hub M2, Aqara Motion Sensor P1, and Aqara Door and Window Sensor P2.  The P2 is a Matter certified device and won't connect with Aqara until the release their new Hub M3 in early 2024. So I'm trying to set this up the Home Script Editor but can't find a way to push notifications to our cell phones.

Not sure if I'm just not finding the correct script or it doesn't exist yet.  I'm sure this may be the same for other door and window sensors as well.

The next thing is to have the alarm sound on the Hub M2 if the alarm is set from not being disabled after "x" seconds of a door sensor being tripped.

Any help on this would be appreciated if there is currently a way to do this automation, if not could we have it added for not only Aqara, but other products that work the same way as well?

lvl777
Community Member

IDEA: ability to convert Google Home app automations to Script Editor automations, and vice versa.

REASON: this will not only help users with little/no scripting experience to learn how to properly format scripted automations, but will allow those of us with a multitude of complex automations (some involving numerous starters and many devices) that were created in the Google Home app to copy/paste (all, or portions of) those existing automations into new Script Editor automations, rather than needing to start from scratch, essentially recreating our Home app automations in Script Editor for the sake of easier maintenance/future proofing.

EXAMPLE CASE: I recently needed to change the Wi-Fi password of my home network. This broke all sorts of things with device control and automations in Google Home app. Even after reconnecting all the devices within their respective apps (Smart Life, Tuya Smart, Govee Home, etc.), many of the "scenes" referenced in my automations either disappeared from the list of automation actions, or they simply don't work anymore. I even tried doing "Reconnect account" for each of the apps for all my devices in the Google Home app. Yet still, a number of devices aren't recognized in Google Home app, nor are they controllable via the automations I had set up in it, despite the fact that I'm able to control them again directly within each of their linked apps.

Now, if these were "ScriptEd" automations with actions that referenced devices and/or scenes by name, then it seems far more likely that they would work properly again as soon as my devices were reconnected to my home WiFi network, and/or within each of their respective home control apps that are linked in the Google Home app, provided that the devices have the same name as they did before I changed the WiFi password and needed to relink them.

Pat_
Community Member

I'd like to send push notifications to one or more devices connected to a specific Google Home.

Specific example I'm working on: What I want is a motion detector within my mail box outside that let's me know when someone opened it.

Something like this:

Starter:

• "Motion detected"

Action:

• Send Message "You've got mail" to
    • Pat's phone

Apologies if that has already been addressed.

rsc
Community Member

Check out the BuzzKill app. I use it with Google Home for similar custom actions & notifications from specific cameras.

VictorAdriel
Community Member

Idea: Add on Script Editor a list of all device types available in your home and all states for each device.

Example automation: Currently, when using EVE Motion sensors, one can have access to the occupancy state on the Google Home Script Editor. However, one cannot use the light sensor because the state: "currentSensorStateData" for the type "device.state.SensorState" does not work. The user needs to try different possible lines to have it fail all the time without knowing what is supported or not. The documentation is not enough for that, because the examples cannot be reproduced when there is no full support for a sensor. 

Kndyer
Community Member

Idea: Reduce the minimum duration of LightEffect commands

Reason: What I really want to be able to do Is turn lights on/off gently over 10-30s. Lights like Cync can do this in the vendor-specific routines. There must be a way to do this already in Home, but I can’t find it and I thought the Sleep/Wake commands were the solution until I bumped into that 5mins minimum.

OsCerna24
Community Member
  • Idea: Use Home Presence by person  as trigger regardless of the Overall Home Presence Status.
  • Example automation: If I'm the first to arrive home, the speakers can welcome me with a personalized message, custom routine, and/or when my wife arrives, she gets her own message and her custom routine. Doesn't matter if Smart Home is in Home or Away status.

RobertoChiaveri
Community Member

My idea is to use the script editor as a workaround for current Speaker Group limitations. I'll explain:

My configuration:

- Chromecast with Google TV plugged in to my Hi-Fi Amplifier via HDMI (CEC enabled);
- Google Nest Mini speakers around the house;
- a speaker group called "entire home" which includes all the speakers mentioned above.

Current behaviour:

- when I ask Google to play Youtube Music on the Chromecast, it powers up the Hi-Fi and the TV (via HDMI CEC) and music starts playing. That's OK.
- when I ask Google to play Youtube Music on the speaker group, it starts playing on the speakers but does not power up the Chromecast via HDMI CEC. Music only plays on Nest minis. If I *manually* turn the TV on, then music starts playing in all speakers.

Intended behaviour:

- with the Script Editor detect when music is playing to the speaker group, then force the Chromecast on with the command "turn on the TV" that I have now manually to eunciate.

RobertBiddle
Community Member

IDEA: Text-To-Speech Action for Speaker Devices

Example: Home Routine - Action to say "Welcome Home" on specified speaker. Bonus for utilizing Frequent Faces to say "Welcome Home <Identified Name>"

Something like this works for the first part (without the person's name):

actions:
- type: assistant.command.Broadcast
devices: Entry Speaker - Entryway

IanSav
Community Member
  • Idea: Allow conditional looping using a syntax like "while condition list" or "until condition list"
  • Example automation: I would like to have the assistant process commands every x seconds / minutes / hours while the some condition exists or until some condition happens.

A specific example is that I set up an automation that will make an announcement every 5 minutes from when the garage door opens until it is closed.  That means that while the door remains open there is a constant, 5 minute,  reminder that the door is open and should potentially be closed for security.  I don't want the door to be closed in case I am on the wrong side of the door and can't get back in.  😉  This would solve a problem when we get home at night and forget to close the door.  We would get a reminder and can then action the door close if it is safe and appropriate.

Gavin_
Community Member

Idea: Multiple condition based outcomes from a single starter

Example 1: Ask google, "did I leave the garage open?" and the action is to respond yes in the condition that it is open and no in the condition that it is not.

Example 2: Ask google to run a bedtime routine, this will be a list of simple actions to run, but I want to create broadcast actions under certain conditions so google can give me warnings like. "Warning: The garage is still open" Then I can ask google to close it.

Context: Conditions seems a bit limited to me, for 1 automation there can only be 1 outcome, I purpose either allowing multiple conditions with different sets of actions that are taken when true or move conditions to be written inline with actions:

if(condition)

actions

else(condition)

actions

I want to be able to execute a list of actions but some of the actions should only run based on certain conditions. And I want this in 1 automation script.

I use open/close sensors and this would be useful to have different actions for each state in the same script. 

HaruKaeru
Community Member

An else would be extremely useful. 

We have conditions for the starters, that trigger actions if they resolve true. But it would be amazing to be able to trigger a different action if they resolve false.

Without else, I have to duplicate a lot of my routines.

For example, when someone rings on the doorbell, I want to trigger an action if the Living Room light is on, but I would like to trigger a different action if it is off. Or the same case applies for presence sensing. 

It would be nice to have all this logic in the same routine, instead of having to duplicate everything just to introduce a small change in the behavior

rsc
Community Member

I am both sharing this functional script idea as well as soliciting help to enhance it, if possible. I created a script that will broadcast an announcement ("person seen at XX camera") if a person is detected at night (1 hr after sunset up until sunrise). However, I would love to have the message broadcast over my 3 other Nest speakers & hubs throughout my house, not just the one in my bedroom. Not sure how to use the "and" function or if there is another way to add my other Nest speakers/hubs to also broadcast the message. Any ideas? (See bottom few lines of script)

# ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ #
# Lines starting with “#” are comments and will be ignored by the automation.
# Indentation determines hierarchy within the script.
# Visit g.co/home/script-editor-docs for full documentation.
# ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ #

metadata:
name: Nightime South Cam person broadcast# Choose a short name that summarizes important starters and actions, like “Sunset lights”.
description: Scripted automation # Write a detailed description that includes everything the automation does, like “At sunset, on weekdays, close blinds, turn on lights to 50%, and play the sunset playlist on certain speakers.”

automations:
# “starters” and “actions” are required; “conditions” are optional.
# Use Ctrl + Space to see autocomplete suggestions.

# ---- STARTERS ---- #
# Starters describe events that will start the automation.
# To add more than one starter, duplicate the "- type" section under "starters".
# If you add multiple starter events, any one of them happening will start the automation.
starters:
- type: device.event.PersonDetection
device: South Side - Cameras

# ---- CONDITIONS ---- #
# Conditions are optional. Delete this section if it’s empty.
# Conditions will prevent an automation from starting if the conditions aren’t met.
# See g.co/home/script-editor-docs for documentation about how to use logical operators like “and”, “or”, and “not”.
condition:
type: time.between
# Optional. Accepts either clock time (10:00:00 AM, with seconds optional, or in a 24 hour format), or 'sunrise' or 'sunset', with an optional offset ('sunrise+10m', for instance)
before: sunrise
# Optional. Accepts either clock time (10:00:00 AM, with seconds optional, or in a 24 hour format), or 'sunrise' or 'sunset', with an optional offset ('sunrise+10m', for instance)
after: sunset+60min # Adjust offset as needed. Supported units: sec, min, hour
# Optional. Days of the week to apply condition on.
weekdays:
- MON
- TUE
- WED
- THU
- FRI
- SAT
- SUN

# ---- ACTIONS ---- #
# Actions will start when a starter event takes place and all conditions are met.
# Actions will start in the order they appear in the script and with any delay specified.
# To add more than one action, duplicate the "- type" section under "actions".
actions:
devices: Bedroom speaker - master bedroom

rsc
Community Member

Disregard, figured it out. To add multiple devices don't select one in the space to the right of "devices:", instead, tab down to the next line, add "-" and then click to the right of that & all your devices should show up for selection. Select device & repeat (space, "-", space) and then the next speaker, hub, or other device for as many devices as you want to announce the broadcast.

devices:
- Bedroom speaker - master bedroom
- Kitchen(Kitchen Nest Max) - Kitchen
- Office display - Office

@rsc wrote:

I am both sharing this functional script idea as well as soliciting help to enhance it, if possible. I created a script that will broadcast an announcement ("person seen at XX camera") if a person is detected at night (1 hr after sunset up until sunrise). However, I would love to have the message broadcast over my 3 other Nest speakers & hubs throughout my house, not just the one in my bedroom. Not sure how to use the "and" function or if there is another way to add my other Nest speakers/hubs to also broadcast the message. Any ideas? (See bottom few lines of script)

metadata:
name: Nightime South Cam person broadcast# Choose a short name that summarizes important starters and actions, like “Sunset lights”.
description: Scripted automation # Write a detailed description that includes everything the automation does, like “At sunset, on weekdays, close blinds, turn on lights to 50%, and play the sunset playlist on certain speakers.”

automations:

# ---- STARTERS ---- #
# To add more than one starter, duplicate the "- type" section under "starters".
# If you add multiple starter events, any one of them happening will start the automation.
starters:

# ---- CONDITIONS ---- #
# Conditions will prevent an automation from starting if the conditions aren’t met.
# See g.co/home/script-editor-docs for documentation about how to use logical operators like “and”, “or”, and “not”.
condition:
weekdays:
- MON
- TUE
- WED
- THU
- FRI
- SAT
- SUN

# ---- ACTIONS ---- #
# Actions will start when a starter event takes place and all conditions are met.
# Actions will start in the order they appear in the script and with any delay specified.
actions:

@rsc wrote:

metadata:

automations:

# ---- STARTERS ---- #
starters:

# ---- CONDITIONS ---- #
condition:
weekdays:
- MON
- TUE
- WED
- THU
- FRI
- SAT
- SUN

# ---- ACTIONS ---- #
actions:

rsc
Community Member

My first reply to my post above didn't seem to come thru so apologies for any dupes. I figured out how to select multiple devices for the broadcast. Don't click & select a device to the right of "devices: ". Instead, space down to the next line, add "-" followed by a space & then click to the right of that & you should be able to select from all of your devices (Nest speakers & hubs, in this case). Repeat the process (spacing down to the next line) to select additional devices, like this:

devices:
- Bedroom speaker - master bedroom
- Kitchen(Kitchen Nest Max) - Kitchen
- Office display - Office

jstutz
Community Member

Loving the new triggers for scripted automations,

wondering if anybody has figured out how to use the "not" in the starters section.

Specifically I'm looking to turn lights off if a person is not detected for 5 minutes or something like that

rsc
Community Member
metadata:
  name: Motion detection lights

description: When motion is detected, turn on the lights, then turn them off after five minutes of stillness.
automations:
- starters:
  - type: device.state.MotionDetection

device: sensor - Living Room

state: motionDetectionEventInProgress

is: true

actions:
  - type: device.command.OnOff

devices:
    - light - Living Room

on: true

- starters:
  - type: device.state.MotionDetection

state: motionDetectionEventInProgress

is: false

for: 5min

actions:

devices:
    - light - Living Room

on: false

...or... Motion Triggered Lights With Occupancy Sensor:

metadata:
  name: Occupancy sensor lights

description: When an occupant is detected, turn on the lights, then turn them off after five minutes.
automations:
- starters:
  - type: device.state.OccupancySensing

state: occupancy

is: true

actions:

devices:
    - light - Living Room

on: true

- starters:
  - type: device.state.OccupancySensing

state: occupancy

is: false

for: 5min

actions:

devices:
    - light - Living Room

on: false

jstutz
Community Member

thanks for the reply here:

sorry I should have clarified... I am using the camera on the nest hub max, not a motion detector.. 

the device does not support motionDetectionEventInProgress

only motion.event.persondetected  

I can't figure out how to integrate "not" into this

Pat_
Community Member

I've got shades in my office room at home that I need to control, but only when I am really at home and not in the office downtown. But I am not the only home member.

I assume that the home presence condition is only triggered once ALL home members are away. However, as in the case above, my idea would be to block (or allow) the script when a specific home member is away.

Action:

It's 11:00, the sun is coming around

Condition:

Pat is at home

Action:

Lower the shades in Pat's room

maxedbeech
Community Member

Add the action: Play custom audio through Nest Doorbells!

This would be SO helpful. Example scenario: every night we get food delivery drivers ringing us late when in reality the neighbours ordered. Being able to set an automation to tell them where to go each time would be super valuable.

Kndyer
Community Member

Idea: Enable control of deeper Nest camera settings

Example: I have a Nest outdoor camera that is battery powered. I want to manage the extremely limited battery by adjusting how sensitive the wake-up is and how much recording is done for daytime vs nighttime to squeeze as much as I can from a charge.

ha11sy
Community Member

Allow us to use the Nest Hub 2 Sleep Mode as a trigger

Idea: Sleep Sensing as a trigger 

Example: When the Nest Hub v2 senses sleeping, allow us to pause the TV or turn off lights, or speed up fans or do whatever, this would save me some time trying to figure out where in a TV series I fell asleep 🙂

ir0nm8n
Community Member

Idea: Use other device state / time of day / ... as input for conditions and other devices.

Example Automation: 

• If the measured ambient temperature is higher than the set thermostat temperature, turn on a Fan.
  • When the volume of one speaker is changed, e.g. lowered, change the volume on other speakers to the same value as well.
  • Change the volume of a Speaker proportionally to the brightness of a lamp.
  • Make the light temperature change continuously throughout the day. 
  • Only change e.g. light brightness if a lamp is already on, otherwise keep it turned off.

dcuccia
Community Member

A starter that triggers when a Nest/Home device hears a specific sound. The Google emailer today mentioned "Your gym clothes are clean" as an example, but my washer/dryer aren't smart. It would be great if I could train the devices to listen for the specific "song" my washer/dryer play when they're finished.

Zacjack_cz
Community Member

Idea: Add a function to getAlternativeMessage with AI (like bard).

Example automation: At 9:00 PM, broadcast "Children, it's time to go to bed." Listening to the same message every day is so boring. With an alternative message, we can hear other messages like:

• "Kids, it's bedtime."
  • "Hey, little ones, it's time to hit the hay."
  • "Alright, children, let's get ready for bed."
  • "Hey there, it's that time again - bedtime for you all."
  • "Time for some shut-eye, kiddos."

Or other alternative messages.

stophroberts
Community Member
  • Idea: Weather as a starter (today's high and low temps, today's forecast for rain and cloudiness, humidity, wind speed)
  • Example automation: I have NuHeat Signature floor heat thermostats.  I want to be able to turn them on in the morning if the high temp for the day will be 65 degrees or colder and skip turning them on if the high temp will be over 65. Same goes for automating the opening and closing of motorized skylights and blinds.   I'd like to switch from IFTTT to Google Home, but some of my IFTTT applets use the Weather Underground service

Pat_
Community Member

I'd like to see a way to trigger automations via URL actions. A lot of actors/buttons are able to send URL commands internally, for example to open shades to x% or to switch lights on and off. It would be great if there was a way to reach Google Home some how. That of course would mean for it to have an internal URL.

I don't know if that's possible though.

chaybee
Community Member

I had a script working perfectly where all of my cameras turn on when I leave home, however, it appears since the 1.69 update to the Google Nest battery outdoor cam that it no longer works with this script.  It's not showing an error in the script editor or anything, but it just doesn't turn on anymore within this automation.  I've removed and re-added it, turned the routine off and back on, still no dice.  Any thoughts?