cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Heat turns off before reaching set temperature

Geohomsy
Community Member

Help! I have 3x gen 3 learning thermostats in my vacation home. Two of them keep turning the heat off, even though the house is at 46F and I've set them to 60F. The indicator is gray, not orange, so I know it's the thermostat and not the remainder of the system. 

I've tried turning them to OFF mode and back on, I've tried turning them to ECO mode and back off, I've tried AWAY and then HOME, etc etc, and nothing will make them turn on. They just silently sit there and do nothing.

Here is a hint: the heating system is underpowered, so they have been ON for 24 hours on a recent day, without reaching the target temperature. Is it possible they've just "given up"? If so, they d**n well should have registered an error message! And if so, how to reset?

Please help; I'm not there, and I DON'T want freezing pipes!

Geo

14 REPLIES 14

ckomai52
Community Member

I have a similar issue, although not as extreme. But the heater runs for 15-20 minutes and then shuts off, even though it has not reached the target temperature. I can't get the heater to go on and I wondered if the furnace is malfunctioning. But your issue sounds similar to mine. I hope someone has a way to reset the Nest.

SanNGA
Community Member

Was this ever resolved? I am having the same issue…

ckomai52
Community Member

Has someone come out and check. They said it was our furnace that would turn itself off before it got too hot. He said I needed to check the filters more frequently so the air could not get clogged and the furnace would not have to work so hard. He said the Nest seemed fine.

SanNGA
Community Member

Yes I did have someone come out and take a look. Actually I had two different servicemen out to look at this issue. I get my filters changed regularly and have regular maintenance twice a year so the furnace seems to be OK.

Andy0530
Community Member

I had the same problem, and after unsuccessful attempts to correct the situation with the thermostat, I guessed that it started after a long power outage. Then I realized that it was not about Nest, but about the furnace (Goodman) itself. I unplugged it from the network, waited 20 minutes, that is, "rebooted" it. After that, everything working fine.

Geohomsy
Community Member
In my case it definitely WAS the nest(s). Panel would show "gray" instead of "orange", indicating the nest was just NOT TURNING THE HEAT ON. 

I restarted several times, but it would fail in the same way after a few minutes.

Finally, I did a factory reset on all three of my affected thermostats, and set them up from scratch. They seem to work now for the time being.

BUT since this is a seasonal home and I'm not here all the time, I can no longer trust them. I'm installing old-school cheapo analog thermostats in parallel with the stupid nests, to prevent freezing.

Really p*sses me off. Especially since it is so obviously a software issue and nest hasn't admitted that, nor taken any remedial action.  These thermostats are marked as being suitable for remote homes, since they're internet enabled, and yet they silently fail to do JOB ONE of a thermostat: turn on the heat.

I will never buy a nest product ever again. And as soon as I find a decent open-source internet thermostat, these babies are going right onto eBay. Someone else can deal with the pain in the a**.

Mrsjog
Community Member

This is crazy we’re having same issue had furnace checked it’s nest, we have had to buy oil filled heater to put in our sons room as the heating isn’t coming on when it gets below 16c so frustrating we tried everything on the schedule on the eco and settings etc and the thermostat just keeps switching to off, for no reason, and to get hold of support is a joke! So annoying! 😡 we are now also considering just switching to a different thermostat 

Geohomsy
Community Member

@Mrsjog to get them working again in the short term, do what I did: remove them from your account using the app; do a factory reset from the front panel; reinstall them using your preferred settings; finally, add them back into your account using the app.  That's what I had to do, and they seem to be "working". But I will never trust them again while away from home. I installed cheapo $15 thermostats in parallel with the red and white wires, to turn on emergency heat at 50F if the nests ever fail again.

Good luck, and yes, another brand of thermostat would probably be a good choice 😜

Waterford
Community Member

Same problem here. The heat turns on for a few minutes then shuts off way before reaching the set temperature. When I turn off the heat from the app then turn the heat on again, it runs for a few minutes again before turning off.

Just replaced the old nest (from a deal from Consumers) with one I bought from Costco. Both are giving me problems.

Please help!

As I said: the only luck I had was with a FULL factory reset.  Settings-- -> reset -> factory reset. 

Super fun!! $##&-$$&

It turned out that my furnace needed to be replaced so it probably wasn't an issue with the nest devices.

There was a safety mechanism that kept the furnace from overheating that kept turning it off. Because the furnace was so old, the manufacturer stopped making the parts for it. The house was built in 1995 and the furnace was original with the house (27 years old).

It's working fine now.

mattsmith
Community Member

I bought a Nest thermostat in Aug 2021. Had the same issues. Did MULTIPLE factory resets. Problem persisted. I just bought a Nest Learning thermostat, thinking a sensor on the other one was messed up. SAME F*ING PROBLEM!! I woke up to the house being **53** degrees this morning and the furnace turning OFF.

Doing a factory reset MIGHT solve the problem. But since so many people are having the same problem, and it's not exactly a small problem, you would think that they would fix it.

scottking7
Community Member

I have the same issue.... and have for years. NO ONE FROM NEST has or will help me. Its in the garbage. Will never buy another one. For those of you in 2nd homes, I have a MarCELL. Cost about $100 a year for service and it will text me if any of the sensors get wet or temp drops below a certain temperature. Its solved my problem and my old school thermostat is doing the trick. I too had someone come check my furnace and it is fine... 

Demrtnz
Community Member

Mine just started this issue last week.  Not sure what is going on with it.  It also randomly changes the temps to unreasonable settings.  It switched itself to 90 on heat the other day and just now set itself at 40.  We have to notice it is too hot or cold.  I will trying the reset mentioned on this thread.