cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Is it possible to buy a heat link on it's own in the UK?

Rda100
Community Member

New, not off a certain auction site.

Fed up with the connectivity problems my thermostat has with the heat link and Google was no help whatsoever.  

Thanks
Rob

9 REPLIES 9

code_
Community Member

Hiya!

I'm so sorry to see that you're struggling with connectivity issues with the smart learning thermostat and the heat link! Are you sure your nest thermostat is currently compatible  with your current heating system?

To check use the link: https://store.google.com/intl/en_us/widget/compatibility/thermostat/  

Rda100
Community Member

Hey.

I've had the same thermostat for over 5 yrs and it's been connected to the same boiler (by a pro) for the same time. The problems started last autumn but not very frequently, then a couple of weeks ago it started happening all the time. Even when I had the thermostat looking at the heat link approx 1.5m apart it still had issues. Did a full reset of the thermostat last Friday and it was stable untill Monday then lost the link again. 

Is there a log file available? When I've lost connection or just before I've seen the Nest Weave Connectivity drop from around 60% to 0%.

I've turned off my WiFi, Sonos and Hue bridges to reduce 2.4ghz noise but to no avail. 

Cheers

Rob 

code_
Community Member

Hi Rob!

It definitely seems could be a device hardware issue since its 5 years old now its maybe guaranteed its start to shows signs towards its end of life for the device. Another thing you can try is to ensure the software is up to date on the device as well, if you haven't updated it, it may be worth updating to latest version if you haven't already. It may be also worth moving the smart learning thermostat closer to the boiler to see if the issues still arise. But I highly doubt that as the issue wasn't there as you mentioned. To my knowledge the only log files I can seem to know on are the energy history, I don't know if there is log files specifically for the thermostat other than the energy history. It may be worth contacting google directly through a live chat to see if there are any ways to gather log files.

If all hope is lost and the live chat person cannot fix it, it may be worth getting a replacement thermostat to see if that solves the issue. Or potentially it could be an issue with the heat link itself.

Best bet I would say is to contact support directly to see if any more fixes can be done. 

Here is a list of fixes possible for troubleshooting connection issues with any nest product:

Fix Connection Issues with Nest Products 

I hope this helps 

Can you cast your mind back to last autumn, did you install anything new? Sounds like interference from something. Are you connected via a hub/mesh even a microwave can give you issues, that sort of thing? Try connecting 2.4 not 5ghz also if you are not a t present, and direct to the router.

What makes you think it's the H/L and not the display? Reason for asking, there are more issues with wi-fi chips in the displays than the H/L  connectivity.

Rda100
Community Member

Hey
It's not a wifi issue that I'm aware of and nothing has changed in my flat. The thermostat communicates with the heat link using the Weave protocol over a Thread network using 2.4Ghz .
https://openweave.io/guides/weave-primer

https://openthread.io/

You can't change it to 5gz, I'm not even sure the thermostat can connect to wifi on 5ghz.  As we can't buy new Heat Links I can't test to see if it's the HL or the thermostat.  My Thermostat is currently about two meters from a Unifi AP and the Unifi Network software reports that the wifi signal is 99% at -36dBm. The thermostat is on the latest firmware for the EU and I did a full reset last Friday which seemed to fix it until Monday when it started dropping the connection every few minutes again. Interestingly after losing the connection to the HL last night, I put it on manual this morning for a bit. After turning it off manual it had connected again and has stayed connected for about 3 hours so far. It had been losing the connection within minutes of reconnecting. 

As the Thermostat shows a drop in the Weave connectivity down to 0% (under Tech Info) shortly before throwing up the H71 error it would indicate interference on the 2.4ghz spectrum or a problem with the Thread hardware in the heat link or Thermostat. I have thought about interference, but nothing in my flat has changed that could cause it. I've placed the thermostat 1.5m in front of the heat link with a clear line of sight and still had issues. I've turned off my wifi and sonos hub. I've used a wifi scanner on my phone to check for errant wifi from other properties, but all is ok. I have a Ring Stickup camera in the same direction as my boiler, but even further away, which connects to my wifi network ok and indicates that interference is unlikely to be an issue. Though I have no way of double-checking without buying an RF analyser which is going a bit far.  

For a premium device, the lack of ability to check things further is very disappointing. And Google support have been no help whatsoever just telling me to rest the HL or Thermostat. As the HL uses Threads/Weave it should be possible to get log or diagnosis info off the HL. Likewise, it should be possible to get more detailed info off the Thermostat but Google, in their great wisdom, hasn't bothered. 

The lastest EU firmware update was November 2021, we can't get the temp sensors in the UK so it leaves one wondering if Alphabet is really interested in supporting this product and we could see it go the same way as others soon.

Fortunately for those in the UK the 2015 Consumer Rights Act gives us up to 6 years of Statutory protection so I'm within my rights to take Google to the small claims court over this. Those in the EU have something similar.  

In the meantime, I'm popping out shortly to buy some twin-core cable to connect the thermostat to the heat link directly as a temp fix. 

code_
Community Member

It's definitely unhelpful google has said that to you and must be annoying with it constantly disconnecting. You can buy a replacement Heat Link from places such as eBay where people sell the heat link brand new as a replacement. But they can be expensive around £70-100 I seen might be worth giving it a shot.

code_
Community Member

But hopefully the temporary solution works until a fix is found. If my guess it's probably a heat link issue but it's hard to tell for sure.

Yes the thermostat can connect to 5ghz, but people with issues are advised to try 2.4. I have the Ubiquity AP's, and that has been an issue with my system at times. I connect direct to the router now, and no issues for years.

The Mods on here will probably suggest ditching the AP connection, as they suggest direct router connection. Let's hope one of them will jump in here as they say!!

The temperature sensors are a real sore point with me, as I have been bleating on for years to get them activated. The firmware is in the thermostat for heavens sake, it just needs the fools at Google to wake up and get it activated.

Where are you located, as I have a few Heat Links, new and used.

Have you been reading my post's??? I have been again bleating off to users on here for years about UK Consumer Law. Trouble is, unless you purchased your thermostat from Google, taking them to court would be a very good challenge! The retailer/Installer may be, but Google good luck there.