cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Moved into new house with dual fuel system - Nest already installed

lefrym
Community Member

Hi, I recently bought a house that already has Nest installed. It has a heat pump and oil backup. This is already installed and wired with the thermostat, all I had to do was create my own account for the Nest. However, I can't figure out how to set it up for the dual fuel system (right now only the electric heat pump is the primary). I want to begin using the oil back up as it is getting quite cold in New England. How do I set this up on the thermostat/the app?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

kiltguy2112
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

From the tstat go to settings go, to equipment make the changes you want.

I tried that but dual fuel is not an option? Do I have to go to pro settings? 

RickE
Community Member

Yes, apparently you have to go to Pro settings.

This is sketchy at best, some say you need a C wire others say dont usse a C Wire, still others say the C wire should come from the Nest Power converter and still others say C from the HVAC.  Oy!!!

kiltguy2112
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

I don't think Nest uses "Dual fuel", you have a heat pump primary, with furnace as auxillary, and maybe electric as emergency. 

Interesting. I watched a popular video with an HVAC pro showing how to set up the dual fuel, but when I tried myself I could not get the same options. Is there a way to set up primary and auxiliary? Every time I go in now, it only gives me the option to set up one- electric (heat pump)