cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest 3rd GEN Thermostat setup issues WITH VIDEO- HELP PLEASE

TobiasFunke
Community Member

Here's the video of what I am seeing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVrm6UNdHSA

ISSUE:

3rd Gen Nest Thermostat (hard wired) worked fine for 6 months then stopped. Spoke to customer support. New head unit sent. Would not connect to network or even see any networks in my area. Called again. New head unit #2 sent.

Head unit replacement #2 would say that the battery needed to charge so come back later. After 24 h of charging, all that one saw was a green green yellow blinking light. Could not get to setup home icon. Tried resetting by holding unit down for 10 seconds. Still no reset. Decided to charge via a micro USB. After several hours, it was placed on the base and still nothing. NOTHING. Lights still blink (GREEN GREEN YELLOW repeat). No home icon. Unable to even get to setup menu to connect to home wifi network. Blank screen.

Called again. New head unit sent. Same issue with setup.

Swapped the thermostat in the basement (that worked) to the bedroom so I can have heat and it works fine. Trying to get the basement to have heat and am very annoyed that this cannot setup. The wiring is simple W1 and Rh. Voltage check was fine as this sees voltage.

Here's the video of what I am seeing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVrm6UNdHSA

Thoughts? Very annoyed.......

8 REPLIES 8

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

When you say you checked the voltage in the basement and it was ok? What was the AC voltage present at the basement thermostat location?

AC Cooling Wizard

NestPro, Google Pro, Mechanical Engineer and HVAC service company owner.
If my answer solved your problem, click Recommend this Answer below, and If it helped you, please give a Kudo.

First know that all other (3) Nest Thermostats are working on the system and that the three replacements all failed install. Also note that one thermostat was moved between rooms and is working fine so the entire system is wired correctly.

To answer your question 24 V was the reading so that is not the issue. The issue is the head units and the "refurbs" sent....

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

@TobiasFunke , where do you measure the 24 Volts at? Do you measure that the thermostat or at the boiler/controller? 

AC Cooling Wizard

If my answer solved your problem, click Recommend this Answer below, and If it helped you, please give a Kudo.

At the controller.

Also, question- why do all the other thermostats work?

TobiasFunke
Community Member

Video for this wondering what I see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVrm6UNdHSA

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

That is very confusing.  The green blinking light indicates the Nest is charging the battery. 

AC Cooling Wizard

That is why we are getting replacement head unit #3 in 3 weeks!!! Technical support offered such pearls of wisdom as loosening the base plate screws a half a turn 🤦🏻 

Sadly the refurbed head units don’t appear to be refurbed. Fingers crossed for the next unit received. 🤞🤷🏻‍♂️👀