cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Gen 3 Delayed Heat Pump

SteelCor
Community Member

My Gen 3 thermostat just started displaying delayed messages, usually nearly 5 minutes.  I’ve had this thermostat for a few years (actually a second after a replacement some time ago). It happens when the heat pump is running.  It seems shut the system off before reaching the set temperature when this happens.  If it is off and I manually turn up the heat, it will flash the delayed message for a second until I turn it some more.  If the message comes up on it’s own, sometimes once the display turns off, if I wake it again the delay might be gone before the time expired.  

Everything online suggests it’s a power issue.  I’ve never had the flashing red light.  The battery shows 3.91 up to 3.93 V.  I’m using a common wire, and both the Voc and Vin vary while watching it from 27 to 35 V.  The lin is 200 mA (c).  Google recommends 28 to 42 V so maybe I’m dipping low causing this?  It’s usually around 32 though.  Just in case, I charged it for nearly an hour by USB even though it didn’t seem to need it.

I didn’t notice this until today.  I think I’ve seen it in the past only rarely, but today it’s frequent.  My HVAC contractor moved my W1 wire (where the Nest app told me) to W2 a couple weeks ago.  He said it’ll reduce usage of the heat strips.  I had them come when I had periods where the outside compressor wasn’t turning off when the inside was off, causing the Freon line to vibrate from pressure and heat on the wrong side.  They never found the cause of that (said the contactor is pitted but not the problem and is normal).

Should I be concerned that there is something wrong with my heat pump system?  Is this a thermostat issue?  I can’t imagine moving the aux wire caused this, but maybe it’s related?

0 REPLIES 0