cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest N72 Error Split System

BryanD
Community Member
Error N72: "Power wire Rh detected. No connection to equipment." 24VAC confirmed.

Thermostat had been working fine since I installed C from the air handler to power the Nest. 

From our standard, ducted air conditioning system we have four wires:
  • Y
  • G
  • Rc
  • C

From our very basic, boiler-and-radiator based gas heat system we have 2 wires:
  • W
  • Rh

A few things to note:
  • The Tech Info diagram on the unit itself shows "power" greyed-out on Rh. 
  • Testing with a digital multimeter between Rh and W1 shows over 24VAC consistent.
  • When I wire W1 and Rh together the boiler zone calls for heat and kicks on so the wire to the thermostat is fine
  • I have three nest thermostats; two nest learning 3rd generation on AC and Heat and a Nest E 1st running heat in the basement. First floor heat works fine. Second floor heat won’t turn on this year.
11 REPLIES 11

Chobes
Community Member

Hey, I have this exact issue. Although sometimes I get the E102 error as well. I called Google and they said they think I have a bad base. Of course I’m out of warranty. I’ve had this hooked up the same way for over 2 years and now I have the problem. Everything is correct on the heater side. My basement nest E works fine for heat. I wonder if there’s a way to trick it to keep the heat on the main floor

RicMaker
Community Member

I purchased a new base had the same problem with it, out $50.00

Chobes
Community Member

Yea I am not very confident it will work. I did someone else in another forum with a similar issue and replacing the base did fix their problem. I will update when I have more. I temporarily replaced it with my old mercury thermostat. No battery required haha

RicMaker
Community Member

I was able to get mine to run by putting a short piece of wire in W1.

Moving the White wire from W1 to W2.

Now the heater works as Heat2

BryanD
Community Member

Unfortunately this still isn’t kicking my heat on; I’m probably going to have to put my Nest from the basement upstairs and go without heat down there. These things have become giant pieces of crap. I remember loving them but why can’t they just work... Does Google even respond on here anymore?

Chobes
Community Member

I’m confused as to how this would work. The problem is that Rh is greyed out. Not W1…

BryanD
Community Member

W1 wire is just a short wire that doesn’t connect to anything? Just holds the connector open so it thinks a wire is connected?

RicMaker
Community Member

Yes, its just a 1 inch piece that goes nowhere, but without it you get a error code

BryanD
Community Member

I wish that worked. Heat 2 was running but my thermostat still didn’t kick on.

RicMaker
Community Member

Heat 2 kicks on 3 degrees higher, try that

BryanD
Community Member

It’s trying to run just not; says it’s heating heat 2 on the Nest. Just not the boiler on.