cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Thermostat doesn't keep a constant temperature

GRLattanze
Community Member

If I set my second generation Next thermostat to 75 degrees for cooling, it won't turn on until the actual ambient temperature is 76 degrees or above.  I want it to keep the temp at 75 degrees and not allow it to get to 76.  Thanks for any help.

2 REPLIES 2

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@GRLattanze 

I don't know how the Nest thermostat works; we have a more conventional programmable thermostat. But if the outside temperature is hot enough, the air conditioning unit may not be able to keep the temperature at 75 degrees. Our thermostat is set at 75 degrees, but on really hot days the temperature can creep up to 77 degrees even though the air conditioner is running continually.

TX_Golfer
Community Member

This seems relatively simple. If you never want the temperature to go above 75, then you set your thermostat to 74. As far as keeping a constant temp, I don't think any thermostat will do that. If set on 75, it's not going to turn on until the temp is ABOVE 75.

It sounds like what you want is a thermostat that measures the temp in fractions of a degree. For example, turns on when the temp reaches 75.2, and runs until it's 74.8. I don't know if that exists, but it would probably not be good for your A/C unit, as it would be constantly turning on and off. Unless you have a really well insulated house. Which is probably the best suggestion to make. Get your home as well insulated as possible, and the A/C unit will do a better job of maintaining a fairly consistent temp.