cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest thermostat 3rd gen will not accept the correct complex wifi password

Bradders1664
Community Member

Hi

I have a complex wifi password and the Nest Thermostat will not accept it as correct. 
I am entering it correctly, please don’t bother to suggest the password is wrong as it was entered slowly and verified by a second person multiple times. 
Has anyone else experienced issues with complex passwords containing special characters or long passwords?

2 REPLIES 2

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Are you using wpa2 personal for encryption? 

marshallhines
Community Member

Here is my guess as I was in a similar situation. Just recently setup a wifi network at my house and I opted for a 32 character randomly generated password which included upper and lower case throughout as well as half a dozen special characters.

I have two Nest thermostats. Downstairs I ran through the password click-click-click (a ton of swapping between character sets) and connected with no issue. 

I didn’t bother setting up the upstairs one until the next day when I had a little more time. I diligently and deliberately keyed everything in very slowly 4 times and each and every time I got a not connected error. I was certain (as you are) that I got the password correct.

But I also noticed that the error came about instantly when I finished the password as if it wasn’t even trying to use the password. I think there must be some kind of a password input timeout. And our long passwords I think take so long that we pass this arbitrary time.

I made another pass at it not paying so much attention to detail just trying to get all of the characters in as fast as possible and click the check mark. And lo and behold, it connected on the first try.

Now I don’t know how long your password is or if it’s possible to do it fast enough for this to work. But like I said. I got 32 total randomly  generated characters in under this presumed timeout when I rushed.

Best of luck!