cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Remote sensor scheduling flexibility

Rob414
Community Member

Why can't the remote sensors be scheduled differently on different days (i.e. weekends vs. weekdays) temperature needs are often quite different on weekends. Currently it's all or nothing and not worth manually overriding each time.

18 REPLIES 18

SmartHomeTech
Community Member

Agreed!

And why can't the times to switch between the sensors be set as per my needs?

Why does Nest did set these times in stone? Seems it should be an easy patch to add this basic and necessary function.

I'm really frustrated, along with many others, at this lack of customization.

I have to back up these comments 110%..  Nest advertises the sensors as being able to be "scheduled", but the schedule is pre-set and cannot be changed.   I cannot use the sensors to heat the upstairs bedrooms which are colder at night without overheating the downstairs while watching TV at 9pm.

asolcanu
Community Member

please google, you have to see reason, just 4 time blocks with fixed time doesn’t work for a lot of people

Squid
Community Member

Yes, this means absolutely zero sense.  When I bought everything I assumed (obviously incorrectly) that any time on the schedule could be set to use a different sensor.  

While that can kinda be worked around, it's completely idiotic to have the same sensor schedule set for weekdays as weekends.  With work at home being so prevalent the rooms occupied differ significantly on weekends and I want / need different sensors working at different times (set) on different days.

As far as I'm concerned, I just wasted all of the money I spent on the Nest system as it's basically pointless.  Maybe EcoBee is the better option

Mjm78mjm
Community Member

Agreed!  We need the ability to customize the nest temp sensors.  It's very limiting to have the four hour blocks of time.  It would also be nice to just state, which ever sensor is lowest, then heat the home (when in the winter).  Or in the summer, turn on the AC based on any sensor's highest temperature reading.  Don't just use a particular sensor based on time.

Also, "Jake", why in the heck are you going to every single post and "locking" them?  It prevents other users from responding to the posts.  You seem to be a busy body "looking busy" but it doesn't help anyone.  Leave the posts unlocked so people can interact and reply to each other if you truly want these community posts to be helpful to each other...geez!!!...so annoying!!! 

@Mjm78mjm @Yes! I hadn't even thought of that functionality but you're so right! Being able to base temp on the lowest, or the highest of any of the temp sensors, and or using the average temp across the group of sensors would be so useful and really start to put nest/Google ahead instead of behind the competition as they currently are. I sure hope that @Jake & Google nest's teams are listening to these ideas 🤞🏼 

Great idea for taking the average of the sensors too.  Lots of good ideas here...hopefully Nest incorporates some of these.

EQwin
Community Member

Agree! @Jake can you tell us when this update will be coming out? It isn't just a want; it's a need. 

67440dodge
Community Member

Unfortunately they won't.  If you do a search on the sensors, this has been a complaint about them since they were introduced in 2018 if I remember right, yet have not addressed it. 

google in a nutshell

Good to know, yet completely unacceptable.  I have to imagine other thermostats allow this.  Also, being in IT, I know how easy this would be to  create this new feature.  Come google, add this functionality!!

Mjm78mjm
Community Member

Right?!

JohnJWall
Community Member

I've been waiting on this for years. Time to check out other options. 

That sucks!  Maybe we should recommend that to others, friends and family for Google to actually make the change.  Because I know it's possible.

I am certainly looking for something else. Google doesn’t know that people wake up and go to a different room at 6 or 6:30, Google doesn’t know that some people don’t go to different rooms at a different time than usual on weekends. Apparently Google product managers are robots.

Derekw
Community Member

Yeah this is bad — why make a smart thermostat so rigid?

This is a really easy thing to program so tell us why you won’t!

Chewmeister
Community Member

Agree, it would be more convient to have the remote sensors as well as the nest thermostat be included in the scheduling each temperature change throughout the day and through the week (Sunday - Saturday). Hopefully, they are listening and bring this feature in the near future.

I totally agree with the comments here. 
I would add that with the remote workers, we have a total different need on weekdays and weekends. Google, please make that schedule more flexible!!!