cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Second Nest Thermostat Can't Connect to Assisting Device

AVL92681
Community Member

I set up a Nest Thermostat on the first floor of our house, connected and works no problem.  I am now setting up a second Nest Thermostat in our finished basement, and I am getting the "Can't connect to assisting device" message over and over again.  The amazing thing is, there is no further instruction or steps to try from Google Home.  Nothing.  So now what?  I have to search through these forums for an answer?  This is asinine?  I've followed some threads on here with people having the same issue, but I've never really seen an answer from Google on this.  Some folks have disconnected the first device and then added the second, some have created a "new home" for the second.  But I've also seen a few folks say they were unable to go back and re-connect the first device.  Is there anyone from Google on here that can provide a solution to this issue????

2 REPLIES 2

CA-Bill
Community Member

Same issue and I don’t see a clear answer either.  I spent an hour and half with their technical support team and did not get anything resolved.  Frustrating!

Swirth123
Community Member

I’m having this exact same problem. We recently moved to a new home, and our old home had a nest thermostat that I left when I sold the house. Our new home has 2 thermostats so I purchased 2 new units. I got the 1st new unit installed without issue, but when I go to pair the 2nd thermostat….the app states it’s attempting to “pair to existing nest device to assist with setup.” I believe it’s attempting to pair to my OLD thermostat at my old house, and of course failing and there doesn’t seem to be a work around. I even removed the old thermostat (from the old house) from my devices but it’s still trying to connect to it. HELP!