cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

TRANE brand HVAC wire connection to Nest Thermostat

Ericjohnsonsf
Community Member

I have a HVAC home heating and cooling system in my home and I am trying to figure out which color wires should be plugged into which labeled hole on the 3rd generation Nest thermostat?  The system error says it is missing the "Y" connection. 

The only available wires from the Trane system are GREEN, BLACK, RED, YELLOW, and ORANGE. Please help

1 REPLY 1

johnCNA
Bronze
Bronze

You should look at the letter designations in your existing thermostat.  Match the wire colors to the terminal letters.  A typical furnace and A/C thermostat will have Terminals for R, W, Y, G and C.  Most wiring bundles will have most of the colors matching the letters. R=Red, W=White, Y=Yellow, G=Green.  But then you have black and orange, so you'll need to make a note of which color goes to which letter.  Sounds like you already removed your old thermostat without writing all that down.  You can pull the door off your furnace and get the lettering and colors from the furnace end if that is the case.  By the way, I have a Trane furnace and A/C system and Trane labels the Common connection as B.  So the wire from B on my furnace is connected to the C terminal on the Nest.