cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

What does "Fan" control when only having R and W wires?

QualityGig
Community Member

Installed a Nest Learning Thermostat in our new place last night (fairly traditional oil with baseboard forced hot water for heat split into upstairs and downstairs zones).  I selected our Equipment as "Oil" and "Radiator", and we only have a red R wire and a white W wire (pretty straightforward).  The Nest seems to be working fine, at least so far.

But there's this odd question, I still see a "Fan" option along with "Fan Schedule" options in settings in the web app (home.nest.com).  Fan seems to have disappeared from the iOS Nest app (and don't see it in the Google Home app), and I don't see it on the thermostat itself.  (We did have Fan options in our prior place that had a full HVAC system so, I do remember that we could turn the fan on/off from the thermostat itself.)  But why am I still seeing it in the web app (home.nest.com), and if intentionally or by accident this were 'activated', what would happen??

It would seem to me NOT having a G wire and selecting Oil/Radiator as equipment type would/should completely disable/set-aside fan control access.  Is this a bug?  Or something more insidious??

0 REPLIES 0