cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

nest heat link not working. no blue light pulsing for reconnection

VictorR
Community Member

i have 2 nest learning thermostats installed about 2 years ago, both of them worked fine until few days ago when one of them lost connection. i read several posts about this issue on possible ways to restart/reset, no success.

below is the summarized story:
- from 2 thermostats 1 is working still, the other one no (so wifi interference related issues are out of question)

- faulty thermostat has been placed now close to the heat link ( so distance issue is out of question)

- error on the thermostat is h71 

- the actual problem with the heat link is i cannot reach to the blue light pulsing. i tried pressing and holding the central nest button for 20 sec, 30 sec several times: does not work. -> when button is pressed and held an amber light is pulsing for a few seconds and disapper, as it would be switched off. 

- i read posts about resetting both thermostat and heat link in the same time, it does not work -> after pressing and holding the button on the thermostat for about 10 sec , the little house icon appears and then back to h71 error from where i can`t do anything.

is there another way to restart/reset these devices , different from the ones mentioned above?

7 REPLIES 7

Frustratedddd
Bronze
Bronze

Assuming I am understanding what your issue is....................You cannot get the Heat Link light to pulse steady Correct?

You are at H71 on the display - Correct

Are you saying you have an amber light on the Heat Link?

Bottom line, one thermostat working OK, the other not - Correct?

one thermostat is perfectly working, whilst on the other one i can not reach the stage to have the blue light pulsing in order to connect.  i know that pressing and holding the central button for 20 - 30 seconds should make the blue light appear and pulse....it is not the case with this thermostat. if i press and hold the button for about 20-30 seconds the lights (green, amber) disappear, exactly like you are switching off the device....i wish  i could upload a 40 second video, but dont know how...

OK understood.

First you are resetting wrong, it's not 20-30 seconds!!

I am fed up with these videos and information that people are putting around on the net. Did you search on here, as I have covered this dozens of times?

First thing, The amber light in the first place was fine, all you had to do was reset the display.

You now have the Heat Link in confusion, so you need to reset, BUT press the Heat Link button for about 40 seconds plus, do NOT release the button until you get a steady blue pulse even if you go on for a minute it does not matter. You need the steady pulse ignor everything before that.

Do that reset twice

Give that a go

i tried, still no success, i also made a video, if i cant attach it here, i might be able perhaps to upload on my dropbox and share the link, would that help?

in regards to resetting, i was not sure about the time to press and hold the button. BUT, as long as there are so many videos showing 20-30 seconds pressing+holding the button, this should have happened to my heat link as well, which it did not.  However, if i press the button for less than 30 seconds on the good heat link, the blue light pulses....now, the big wonder, how come that this one does not?

it is quite frustrating, i admit i might do something wrong, that is why i appreciate your fast replies and your willing to help, but i just can t figure it out what seems to be the problem

Strange that has not worked, but the 20-30 seconds is not a factory reset.

The lights on the H/L at present are what colour? You only want to see one light not anymore.

Try turning the power of for a minute or so to the Heat Link, and then let the H/L settle for a minute, and then try the 40 second plus press.

To upload pics etc., make sure you are logged into this site you should see a camera icon.

i made a recording yesterday and wanted to upload the video. as long as there is no such option i can upload some screenshots from the actual video.

- on the H/L were 2 green and 1 amber when i pressed/held the button. after 2 seconds amber light started to pulse, and after 5 more seconds all lights turned off(i continued press/hold the button for a  minute or so, no other light turned on). 

VERY IMPORTANT, I tried the same procedure when only the amber light was on and still same outcome.1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

VictorR
Community Member

this is what google answers on "how to reset nest heat link".  is this right?

Press and hold Heat Link's button for 20 seconds
. While you're holding the button, Heat Link's status light will turn off, then it will start quickly blinking green and yellow. Release the button. When the factory reset is complete, Heat Link's status light will blink green and yellow.