cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Connecting Nest WiFi to My T-Mobile Home Internet

MPH
Community Member

I recently connected T-Mobile Home Internet in my house, and it’s working well. I purchased (at T-Mobile’s recommendation) a Google Nest WiFi to enhance the WiFi signal downstairs (the T-Mobile Home Internet Gateway is upstairs). The Nest setup instructions say to connect it to my modem via the included ethernet cable. The “problem” is that I don’t have a modem. All of the wireless devices in my house now connect wirelessly to the T-Mobile Home Internet Gateway, and there is no modem….. 

As such, I’m confused how this works / how to hook it up. In the end, I’m simply trying to enhance the T-Mobile WiFi signal throughout the house, and they recommended setting up this mesh solution. 

I’m hoping someone can help me understand this and how to set this up. Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

That device delivers your internet via the 5G cellular network, so may not be compatible with Nest Wifi. Nest Wifi is not a Wi-Fi extender and is traditionally wired to a modem or modem/router combo that delivers your internet via fixed wiring to your internet service provider. It does look as though it has ethernet ports on the back. Have you tried connecting 1 Wifi point to it and attempting setup?

MPH
Community Member

Hi David.  Thank you for your response; much appreciated!  I think T-Mobile really led me astray on this....  I have not attempted to connect the Nest to my T-Mobile Home Internet Gateway (even though the device does indeed have one or two Ethernet ports) simply because I don't need the Nest to broadcast the WiFi signal in the same room as the T-Mobile Gateway.  What I tried to convey to T-Mobile is that I'm looking for a device that can EXTEND the WiFi to other areas of the house where the signal from the T-Mobile Gateway isn't as strong (i.e. downstairs).....  When I mentioned this to them, they immediately pointed me to the Google Nest.  Obviously this is not the intended purpose of the Nest.  I can certainly return it to Google, so no big deal there.  Do you happen to know if there is a product / device that can "extend" the signal like I'm looking for?  Thanks in advance, David!

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

You're looking for a traditional Wi-Fi repeater or extender, not a mesh Wi-Fi product like Nest Wifi.

MPH
Community Member

David, got it; thanks!  I'll return the Nest, and will look online for an extender.  Thanks for your help!

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

No problem, all the best!