cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Device on guest WiFi network showing as "Wired" connection on main network

SpottedQuoll
Community Member

It's late 2021, and I'm having essentially this 2 year old issue: https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/1274651/some-guest-network-devices-show-as-wired?hl=en .  The description is a 100% match to my situation, but playing out in the current Google Home app (rather than the old Google WiFi app back then).

My setup is a Nest WiFi router, and an older Google WiFi access point; all correctly set up, and with wired backhaul between the router and point.  My partner's phone from work is connected to the Guest (WiFi) network.  In the Google Home app, it frequently shows up as a "wired" connection, and in the list of devices in the main network rather than the Guest network.  Both these indications don't make sense.  Sometimes it randomly does show up ok, as connected (1) wireless and (2) to the Guest network.  I'm not sure, but I think it might show correctly whenever it ends up connecting to the router, and possibly wrong when it connects to the additional access point.  From its IP address though, I can see that it *is* effectively connected to the Guest network in reality; it's just the interface in the Google Home app showing it wrongly.

Anyone managed to get a definite solution after 2+ years?

104 REPLIES 104

Henessy
Community Member

New problem occurred 3 days ago and still that way. The whole mesh system (router and 3 points) is showing as offline even though all Wi-Fi devices are connected and working fine. I am too far away to reboot the system

I've had this as well occasionally.  The only way I could fix it, was via hard reboot (i.e. power cycling the router and points), because the app thinks the devices are offline, and thus unreachable, and thus no option to reboot/restart remotely.  A major flaw when you're not home for a longer period of time, leaving you to wonder whether there are issues or not.  Sadly, this is one of several major bugs that have now been present for more than a year, some even several years.  The developers don't listen to feedback; or if they do, it's even worse, not acting on it consciously.

I was previous asked by Jeff to turn off IPv6 - not sure if it actually helped but it hasn't gone offline since then.

However, the occasional issue of wireless guest appear in main network as wired still exists.

Also, I still have around 40 Unnamed devices - number doesn't seem to go down.

Same here, all these individual issues are still happening occasionally.  The unnamed devices list grows by larger numbers of devices each time I restart the network.  Several hundreds of unnamed devices by now.  Serious contempt of paying customers.

Perhaps we should be leaving our honest reviews on product listings at their various sales channels?

Absolutely, but the sad reality is that they seem to not care.  The debacle with Chromecast is even worse.  They simply do this openly, shamelessly.  Some tech media websites are starting to pick up on these practices, e.g., https://www.androidpolice.com/google-sonos-lawsuit-lost-features/ .  Bringing these things to their attention will reach a wider audience more efficiently.

SpottedQuoll
Community Member

@SpottedQuoll wrote:

It's late 2021, and I'm having essentially this 2 year old issue

Fellow users, paying customers, I hereby mark the sad occasion of this particular issue now being 3 years old (!!), and still entirely unresolved.  This forum appears to exist merely to keep us all busy-busy.  As if things are "happening", and "community managers" and the like are running back and forth between us and the developers.  An elaborate facade, with no measurable outcomes.  The list of issues appears to only grow larger.

Meski
Community Member

Is anyone from Google still following this thread?  I've not seen any recent posts from them.  Is it worth raising a new bug report and linking to this? 

@Jeff was following this up.  The fact that it has been silently abandoned again, probably tells us all we need to know.  @Meski , I would 100% support raising a new bug report & feel free to link to this one (and might as well link to all links posted by @olavrb above also; we can write and publish a book on this issue by now, or maybe even a biography).

Hey @Jeff , you still pursuing our 3.5 years old issue here?  Not going to ninja-reply-mark-yourself-as-fake-accepted-solution soon as you did with https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Nest-Wifi/Unnamed-Offline-devices-on-Nest-WiFi/m-p/4834 , I hope?  These issues aren't going anywhere until they're actually resolved, in our current universe and reality.  Thank you.

glenviewjeff
Community Member

In addition, wireless devices show as wired. A real triumph in solid coding. Does everyone else by chance wire their other mesh points like I do?

Anne3
Community Member

@Jeff any update?

Paddypower
Community Member

Hi all, I can not believe it’s taken over 3.5 year and still no fix! There must be a decent IT person that could fix this software problem. And going back to Jeff’s comments it must be frustrating. Come on do something about it of course it’s frustrating!!!

Most of Jeff's replies are standard copy-paste "we know you're frustrated... blahblah" chitchat to keep customers busy and distracted.  It's a paid job, but it might as well have been an automated bot most of the time.

Yes you’re absolutely right. I think it is an absolute joke to be waiting 3 1/2 years for an IT expert to fix it. All I can see is, it’s never going to be fixed. They don’t have anyone that’s clever enough. I think I will change my product to TP Link deco M5. I’ve spoken to loads of people who I introduced the Google Home to and they are having the same problem. I also have friends that are on the M5 and they are so happy and have a better platform for controlling their devices

Can Google home be honest and say if the are going to fix this problem or maybe create a whole new software? 

We've got a new @Jeff 2.0 around these days on the forum, so it seems.  Let's see if after all these years, we can get help from this new one: @Jhonleanmel , it's been more than 3.5 years that we've been struggling with the issue(s) described in this thread.  @Jeff was going to "follow up", but he has resorted to blatantly ghosting us lately.  Do you have what it takes to get the developers to take actual action into resolving these bug(s)?  You can rest assured, we've already ruled out each and every possible responsibility on our end; so please, don't suggest to reset our devices or e.g. change the DNS settings or whatever setting.  It's positively (a) bug(s), and only you, @Jhonleanmel , can help us out by making the developers fix it.  We're counting on you.

SpottedQuoll
Community Member

Can someone at Google go and poke @Jeff  with a stick to check if he's still alive?  He's supposed to follow up our issue here and "report back soon".  I mean, in a few more months, this issue will be 4 years old (without any resolution) after all.  Since this is tied to the Google Home app/software, it's going to affect the fancy new Google routers just as well.  That's not a great advertisement for an expensive new product, is it?

I’m sure it’ll be fixed with the Nest Pro. All that is required is replacing all of your hardware, lol!!

DerickJohnson
Community Member

Is this issue still on a radar? With this much time passing, I wonder what their product backlog looks like… 

Meski
Community Member

Yeah, enough to make me look up open source options.  Found this:

https://github.com/marcosscriven/galeforce

Lpetters
Community Member

Hello. Any updates on this issue? I just got Google Nest Wifi Pro and about half of my devices are showing as hardwired.. including devices that don’t even have an Ethernet port. 

Jason84
Community Member

@Jeff  it's 2023, any word?

PopIcon
Community Member

It's April 2023 and I'm here because this issue persists. Confirmed no network cross contamination, but it's annoying.