cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Devices on Google nest wifi cannot communicate with each other

srajan1606
Community Member

Hello,

I have successfully set up a 3 device Google Nest Mesh network at home. All devices are able to reach the internet, and everything is working fine. I am trying to set up a remote desktop to my laptop. It doesn't work. Turns out that when I try a ping from one laptop to another on the same wifi mesh, none of the devices are able to talk to each other. All ICMP pings are getting timed out. I can see ALL devices from the Google Home App.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Raj

3 REPLIES 3

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

That is not the default behavior of Nest Wifi, not even on the guest network.

Do you have a combi router modem broadcasting Wifi too? Or some other equipment with NAT and firewall? Sounds like something that's caused by double NAT.

I don't work for Google.

Hi,

Thank you for the response. No. I don't have any other equipment broadcasting wifi signal. Google mesh is the only one. I'm also not a networks guy, so unfortunately I only know some basic stuff.

When you say not a default behavior, you mean that this mesh should allow devices to ping each other or no?

Any other pointers?

Thanks much again.

Raj

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Devices should be able to ping each other by default, yes. Just not between devices on main network to/from guest network by default, but a device can be exposed to guest network if you want to. For instance a Chromecast or similar.

Have you set static IP on the devices in question, or do you use DHCP? What local IP address do they get? Should be 192.168.86.x, where X is variable.

Try power cycle? Try factory reset and set up from scratch? Try to/ from devices that are connected by ethernet cable?

I don't work for Google.