cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Nest Wifi Pro setup process and errors

Toiesvold
Community Member

Had a terrible time setting up the Nest Wifi Pro 3 pack to replace my old Google Wifi.
Setting up the first unit (router) went smooth - no issues.
But when trying to add additional units and create the mesh network, this failed several times. Units were not able to connect. Tried everything I could think of, including restarting wifi on my phone, rebooting and even resetting the units. They just wouldnt talk to each other.
Eventually I tried setting them up with an ethernet cable between them, and then I was able to add them and create a Mesh network without error message.
But even if Google Home now claims that all three units are part of a Mesh network, I only get internet connectivity from the main router. The other two units are blinking orange, and no devices are able to connect to them - Except if I connect a device to the LAN port on the unit.
Example: Main router is located in the living room. Approx 20 feet away the next unit is located in the hallway. I have a Eufy Homebase hardwired to the Hallway AP (and Homebase is not configured for Wifi)
But the Eufy Doorbell and homebase is working as is should, and I get notified and can view video from the doorbell.
Wireless devices have good coverage in the living room, but not anywhere else in the house, even if in close proximity of the two access points. It seems the two Access Points are not transmitting the wireless network at all. In the basement, where the last unit is placed, I have no wifi coverage, but if I connect a switch to the LAN port, I can hardwire my stationany computer and NAS.
I cannot see any way to fix this. The two AP's are blinking orange, even after restarts (with or without LAN port in use)
And the Mesh network, even if Google Home is claiming that it is healty, does not work.
How can I fix this without spending another 7-8 hours troubleshooting and trying (and failing)?

191 REPLIES 191

Running two routers on a network creates a Double NAT situation since both are trying to manage the traffic which is why you have to run the Altibox as modem only.

Fix Double NAT when two routers run at the same time

But will it then also be double NAT when I have the Nest router connencted to a switch between the firewall and Nest router?

Yes if there is another router before the switch. A switch, in short, splits bandwidth between devices but the routing information is all handled by a router. If you have a router > switch > router setup, it is the same as if you connected the two routers directly and thus the Double NAT.

This article will assist with the supported network setups:

Hardwire Wifi devices with Ethernet

So then I either have to set the firewall in bridge mode or connect the Nest router directly to the ISP modem which is in bridge mode? The problem with firewall in bridge mode is, I guess, that I lose the security in it? I guess it's not possible to only set one firewall port in bridge mode...

That is correct on both.

I'm not sure what you are using a firewall appliance for in addition to a router in a residential setting (the main router serves as the firewall) but if you have to have a it then you will need to use a router that is designed for a commercial environment. In most cases, residential users do not need to have a secondary device to provide more robust firewall abilities.

I work with it-security so I try to test some of the solutions we deliver, but I'm not a technician so when it goes out of basic things I'm stuck 😄 #ijustsellit

I will try to set my firewall in bridge mode and see what happens...

Jflaten84
Community Member

Has anyone tried this "double NAT" setup with Nest WiFi Pro as a router with mesh-points behind an Altibox/ISP router also running in router-mode? I've not been able to test it out myself, and I was wondering if that could be a working solution until the primary issue is fixed?

Hi.

Have not tried that yet. Thinking about setting my own Cisco Meraki firewall in bridge mode just to see if Nest workes then as my only router in the house. The way I have tried now will make "double NAT". But not from Altibox, but between my firewall and Nest router. If that don´t work I can try to put the Altibox modem in router mode again to... I will update this tread 🙂 But it´s quite strange that it looks like more or less everyone having this problem i Norway uses Altibox as ISP...

leifarneb
Community Member

Hey Google! Any news on this issue?

Trollman33
Community Member

Also Norwegian with Altibox and 3-pack Pro. Same issues. Main WiFi router works great. Adding WiFi points is not working. All kinds of "try again", "Out of range" etc. I tried setting up an access point with LAN cable. It seemingly worked, but when I unplug it, it shows "weak signal" even if it is sitting inches away from router. Useless.
I sensed from the past response from Altibox that they might not be looking for a fix since they aren't promoting Pro. And Google seems totally lost and scrambling.
I'll give it another week before I return it. Maybe someone can use it as a boat anchor.
Google: where are you?

Trollman33
Community Member

I just spoke with Altibox. Technician told me that the only problem they had related to Nest was an IPTV problem, which she said is now solved. Further, she said that there is no reason Nest Pro shouldn't work with Altibox and that it's only a coincidence that many of the users with problems are Altibox users.
I asked if I could perhaps try another router since mine is 10 years old. She then said I would have to pay 1990,-NOK for it since the issue isn't with Altibox. She then said there is nothing else they could for me and hung up on me, without me being rude or giving her any other reason.

KristianF
Community Member

I got the nest wifi pro 3-pack and can't get it working either.

Same ISP as you guys (Altibox).

I'll be returning it if there's no fix by the end of the week since it's currently completely useless and won't work.

KongRøreks
Community Member

Has someone tried to set the Altibox modem/router in bridge mode so it´s just the Nest router that acts as router in the network?

Yes, that's what I've tried. Altibox router in bridge mode and Google Nest WiFi Pro in router mode with two mesh-points. Works fine with the router, but the two mesh-points won't let clients connect and the lights are flashing.

Altibox modemet må alltid være i bromodus når man bruker ekstern wifi ruter, ja.

Har en kompis som her hakket mer teknisk på dette enn hva jeg her, han sier at selv om det skulle bli dobbelt nat så burde det fungere, bare litt mer grisete i forhold til best practice.... Så ut fra hva som skrives her så tviler jeg vel på at det hjelper å sette brannmuren min i bridge også...

Hadde vært interessant og hørt om det faktisk er noen med Altibox som ISP som har fått dette til å fungere...

Jeg tror nok heller ikke det hjelper å sette brannmuren din i bridge. Men å sette Altibox-router i router modus blir derimot et veldig annet scenario som kunne gjort en forskjell. Ikke best practice, men dersom det skulle virket så kunne det vært en helt grei mellomløsning frem til Altibox og Google får løst problemet.

Det er anbefalt oppsett fra Altibox (spesielt om du skal bruke Q22 dekodere via Nest WiFi, og ikke bare rett i Altibox router), men det kan vi konkludere med at foreløpig ikke fungerer frem til de har løst feilen. Google Nest WiFi Pro støtter "dobbel NAT" som de fleste andre routere og derfor hadde det vært interessant å fått testet om det oppsettet kan fungere midlertidig. Jeg får ikke testet det selv før om 1-2 uker, så jeg var derfor nysgjerrig på om noen andre hadde prøvde dette og sett om det omgikk problemet.

Jeg skjønner. Rimelig avhengig av nettet hjemme denne uken så tør ikke teste for mye nå... Hvis jeg føkker opp helt så blir jeg halshugd av både arbeidsgiver, kone og barn 😄 Men skal se om jeg kan få han kompisen min til å komme innom en gang i løpet av uken så kanskje vi får sett litt på det 🙂

Har testet med å sette på NAT på altibox modemet, men opplever samme resultat.

Benytter nyeste modell: EX5401

Pokker. Forsøkte du å fabrikk resete Google-enhetene når du hadde Altibox-routeren (hjemmesentralen) tilbake i router modus, og sette opp Google Nest og Mesh på nytt? Eller endret du bare modus på hjemmesentral og lot Google boksene være uendret?

KristianF
Community Member

For å sammenligne litt mer.

Har dere også FMG modemet?

Ja, har FMG3542. Men har skjønt at problemet er det samme på det nyere modemet også. Sett at noen har fått tilsendt det uten at det hjalp...

Jeg har FMG

Her er det VMG8825.

leifarneb
Community Member

Jeg har fått tilsendt ny sentral fra Altibox... uten at dette har hatt noen effekt. Byttet nå mesh wifi fra Google Nest Wifi Pro... til TP Link XE75. Ingen problemer i mesh oppsett da.

Det er jo litt interessant da. Hvis TP Link klarer å opprette mesh så bør jo Google også...

Jeg har selv satt opp Ubiquity Amplifi HD hos flere Altibox kunder med router og 2-3 meshpunkter uten problem. Så dette er et problem spesifikt mot Google Nest WiFi Pro og ikke mesh forøvrig.

Virker jo veldig som det kun gjelder Altibox da. Kan jo selvsagt være tilfeldig.

Trollman33
Community Member

I'm disappointed and concerned that Google isn't chiming in. It really doesn't look like they have a clue or genuine interest in solving the problem for their customers.

KongRøreks
Community Member

I have a support mail going with Google so I send an update asking if there are any news. And referred to the fact that other mesh-solutions works fine with Altibox... Keep you posted...

Trollman33
Community Member

Har noen av dere funnet ut om vi får full funksjonalitet ved å kable de sammen?

Jeg testet med ett kablet meshpunkt og ett trådløst. Samme resultat på begge to. Kun router som tillater klienter og koble til, og begge de andre blinker.

Pål
Community Member

Samme resultat her.

Trollman33
Community Member

Ikke bra. Går mot å levere det tilbake til Komplett og heller kjøpe noe annet. Synd jeg allerede har Google devicer og vil gjerne fortsette med Google Assistent. Men det greier sikkert andre systemer også.

Har du forsøkt å sette Altibox router tilbake til router-modus og sette opp Google Nest WiFi Pro på nytt? Altså med to routere (dobbel NAT) ? Jeg skulle gjerne hatt testet om det kunne være en workaround frem til Altibox/Google retter feilen, men får ikke testet det selv før om 1-2 uker ettersom utstyret ikke er der jeg er nå.

Har ikke forsøkt det enda, mest pga av at hele huset er så avhengig av nett. Men vil prøve før jeg evt returnerer det.

Sikkert en fordel å reset'e Google-enhetene og sette opp de og Mesh på nytt når du tester med Altibox-router i router modus, ettersom nesten samtlige andre "feil" på Google-enhetene krever reset til fabrikkinnstillinger og oppsett fra bunn igjen får å løse, virker det som.

Men har Google Nest WiFi Pro en innstilling for double NAT? Eller mener du å teste ved factory reset og vanlig oppsett? Når router står i Router mode naturligvis ...

Mener factory reset og vanlig oppsett. Google Nest WiFi Pro støtter dobbel NAT og kan derfor settes opp i router-modus som normalt.