Hi there... we have Comcast cable internet, 600MB/sec (Blast) service. It comes directly into a Arris Surfboard T25 modem, which is then connected to the Google WiFif (AC1304) mesh network. The primary "puck" has one desktop PC hardwired (ethernet) into it, and we have many other devices around the house that connect wirelessly.
When I run speedtests on both the desktop and wirelessly connected devices I always get around 100MB/sec results. But if I disconnect the Google WiFi system and plug my desktop PC ethernet cable directly into the Arris modem, I get close to the advertised 600MB/sec results.
I can understand that the Google WiFi would have some affect on speed, but 1/6? Also why would it affect the hardwired (ethernet) PC as well? Does anyone have any suggestions or things I can try? This is a repeatable phenomena, not a one off set of results. And there are no bandwith hogging devices in use when I run these speedtests. I'm wondering if there is some setting I can try or some other great idea or explanation..thanks!!!
Thats great in theory, but if you have cable internet, it comes with a coaxial cable that has to be connected to the primary router, not an ethernet, and the Google wi-fi only accepts an ethernet cable.
I'm sorry to read about the connection speed issues you're seeing. I know how frustrating it can be not to get full expected speeds on your network. I have a couple of things for you to check before we dive into more possible troubleshooting steps.
Give those two tests a quick try and if anything changes, it will give us a better idea of what to look into.
Hi Jeff.. thanks for reaching out. I didnt even know you could prioritize a device, but now I do.
No, I didnt have any prioritized. I did prioritize the hardwired desktop and ran speedtest before I did and after I did... no difference.. and still right around 100MB/sec, not 500.
Ok, thanks for checking that, xpetes. For some people they see speed across the entire network improve when a device is prioritized, but it's not a common fix. I figured it was worth giving a shot real quick.
I have seen some other reports of the speed reduction issue happening and I've been working with our internal teams to look deeper into things. I'll update here with anything more I hear. If you notice any changes with the network performance, feel free to update as well.
Thanks for digging deeper into this. Keep trying things, I'm happy to check out a possible solution and let you know if it changes things (you can use me as your guinea pig). And Yes I've seen other posts reporting the same issue.
Hi again, xpetes.
I have something you can check real fast. Go into your Home app and into the WiFi settings. Do you have IPv6 enabled? If so, try turning it off and see how it impacts your network performance. If you don't see any changes, let me know.
Hey Jeff, thanks for continuing to look into this, and sorry for the slow response, you caught me out of town.
IPv6 was enabled. I turned it off, and the speed test results were virtually identical. Next idea?
There has been a bug identified with IPv6, so we're recommending people keep it off for now. Thanks for checking on that. I'm still looking into other possible causes and I'll let you know when I see more.
I'm sorry for the long delay in a response here, but I have yet to hear back on additional steps we can take here. In the meantime, I did want to see if anything else has changed on your end, either for the better or the worse, and if you have tried any other troubleshooting efforts on your own.
Hi Jeff, sorry I didn't respond last time, it slipped my mind. Yes, there is no change, the hardwired desktop and all the wifi connected devices still show about 90Mbps, nothing has changed. Definitly willing to try additional steps if you have an idea. We're paying for 500Mbps, but certainly dont get it, unless we remove the whole Google wifi system.
Hey Jeff. Is this a unique situation to me, or are you able to recreate it? I'm wondering if I should request a replacement since this has been the situation since they beginning. If it's unique to my system can you advise how I could go about getting the devices replaced as defective?
Are you using a modem/router combo from your Internet Service Provider (ISP)? How many devices are dropping from the network? Also, do you have any paused devices?
Give these steps a try:
Let us know how it goes.
Yes, this needs attention, but I don't have the bandwith to do this right now.. probably take a week or two before I can find the time, since this involves a bit of time. Stay tuned. Yes, this is an annoying issue I'd like to ulitmately resolve though!
We haven't heard from you in a while so we'll be locking this thread if there is no update within 24 hours. If you have any new issues, updates or just a discussion topic, feel free to start a new thread in the Community.
The problem still exists. I've not had the time to try the suggested fixes since it will take some time but I hope to do it later this week. Up to you if you need to lock this but I do plan to look into it and reply further....tx.
I'll keep this thread open for a few days to give you more time to do the troubleshooting steps. Please be advised that as Community specialists, we occasionally do a bit of housekeeping to keep the conversations in our community fresh and relevant. This includes locking threads after a period of inactivity.
We haven't heard from you in a while so we'll be locking this thread if there is no update within 24 hours. If you need assistance or want to discuss topics, feel free to start a new thread.
Awesome! I'm glad to hear that your issue is fixed. We can probably consider this one finished, so I'll close the thread in 24 hours unless I can help with anything else.