cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Nest wi fi channels

stevia13
Community Member

Hi. I have Sonos speakers at home, connected to my Google Nest mesh wifi network. One of the speakers has started dropping out, with the audio coming and going. Sonos have asked if I can allocate that speaker to a different channel on the network - either 1, 6 or 11. I haven't been able to find away to get in to the Google network settings to allow me to change channel settings. Can anyone help me out? Many thanks, Steve A

3 REPLIES 3

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @stevia13 

The Google Nest WiFi network may use multiple channels in the 2.4GHz band (each access point selects a channel on startup based on how "busy" it sees each of the channels are at that time). So, it is not manually configurable. How close to the nearest access point is that Sonos speaker? Ironically, if it's too close (say, less than three feet), it can be problematic. Of course, if it's too far, that can be an issue as well, though for 2.4GHz, it would have to be pretty far away (or having to get through significant obstructions, like brick/concrete walls, etc.).

HI Michael.

Its only about 4m away, thro a plasterboard internal wall. Has never been an issue before, but recently speaker has started playing up - dropping signal from online music services. ....hang on! I just restarted the network thro the Google Home app, and it seems to be working fine now!! Any ideas why this might be?

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Well, it doesn't sound like it's too close or too far away then. If that speaker really is only connecting at 2.4GHz rather than 5GHz, restarting the network may have caused the nearest access point to select another 2.4GHz channel automatically. Next time you have trouble, you might try just restarting the Sonos speaker to see if that fixes it instead. In any case, I'm glad it's working better now!