cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google WiFi mesh unusable in existing LAN environment

ZoloN
Community Member

Hi Google

I've using lot of google speakers and hub devices at home. My current network is based on Asus Mesh, but I'm not very satisfied with the performance in my house, so I've purchased Google WiFi 3-pack and tried to set it up.

Unfortunately I found out, that there are only two use scenarios, where none of them fits my needs:

1. primary node as router and other in mesh network with NAT (and DHCP cannot be disabled) 
  2. standalone AP without mesh possibility

I have a xDSL router from my ISP and devices on my network are partially on wired LAN (IKEA gateway, TV, PS4, some PCs and my HPE MicroServers) and on wireless (mobile phones, Sonoff home automation devices, printer, all google devices) - therefore second router is somehow not needed (as due to NAT the connections from wireless network would be only one-way ones). Additionally based on what I red, for backhaul connection between devices a separate LAN is required (getting error message while joining that they're connected to the same router). wired backhaul connection is a definitive must as my primary WiFi is in living room and my office is in basement where the wireless connection between them isn't possible. In the house I have one wired network providing one LAN port to majority of room on 3 floors.

So, my feedback, suggestion (a favour to ask) is: please add mesh functionality to standalone AP mode with backhaul connection via the same LAN (like the ASUS does) - as in current configuration are the devices absolutely (and sadly) not usable for me (and I assume not only for me)...

/BR

ZoloN

1 Recommended Answer

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Sorry but I am unsure what you are getting at here... The Google mesh enviroment does work, I believe the issue you are having is with the network layout.  It should be Modem -> Primary google Node -> All other nodes, devices, etc.    I believe what you are doing is Modem -> LAN & Primary google Node -> All other devices, which would in fact create two networks.  

View Recommended Answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Sorry but I am unsure what you are getting at here... The Google mesh enviroment does work, I believe the issue you are having is with the network layout.  It should be Modem -> Primary google Node -> All other nodes, devices, etc.    I believe what you are doing is Modem -> LAN & Primary google Node -> All other devices, which would in fact create two networks.  

As I'm an IT-guy and I use site2site VPN connection (to my off-site location) on my Asus routers, solution proposed by you doesn't fit my needs. The control over LAN config is more granular and wider on Asus as on Google WiFi....

I need just a stable Mesh AP network with LAN backhaul