cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Wifi - validate use of Backhaul

unclsams
Community Member

Team,

This is in followup to this thread: https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Nest-Wifi/Google-Wifi-Downstream-connections/td-p/377707

I set up my Google Wifi (AC1200 4 pack from Costco) EXACTLY as above - each of the wifipoints connected to the central switch through a cable from the "internet" port.  All works fine (Great connection).

From the Google Home app, I could validate mesh connections are good.  "Wifi Information" for the wifipoints in Google Home App shows "Connection Type:Wireless"

Does that mean backhaul is not being used and instead wireless is being used ? How do I ensure backhaul is being used. I did confirm backhaul connections are working by connecting a laptop as well as TV.

1 Recommended Answer

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

If you get 192.168.1.195 as WAN IP your ISP equipment (Verizon router) is not in bridge mode / bypass mode / passthrough mode.

---

The main Nest Wifi unit will act as a NAT router with firewall, DNS and DHCP, so ISP equipment should act as a modem only to avoid double NAT. More info on why:

Nest Wifi can be bridged, but then wireless mesh will not work, and you'll need to make one Google Home home per Nest Wifi unit. More on that:

If you want your ISP box to be the router, with a standalone Wi-Fi solution that supports central management, Nest Wifi ain't it. Maybe you could check out Netgear, TP-Link or Ubiquiti UniFi instead.

I don't work for Google.

View Recommended Answer in original post

12 REPLIES 12

unclsams
Community Member

BTW, I can confirm that the connection/traffic from Modem+Router(Bridge mode) --> Google Wifi Router --> Unmanaged Switch  works, since I have a vonage phone connected to the switch and it works.

The wifi points are connected to this unmanaged switch - and the specific ethernet ports on the switch show activity (lights blinking) !!

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

What exact switch?

Do you see any activity on the switch ports going to the secondary Google Wifi units when they're connected?

I don't work for Google.

unclsams
Community Member

Yes, the switches show continuous activity on the 3 ports connected to the wifi points - lights are blinking.

BTW, I use a NETGEAR unmanaged switch.

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

What Netgear unmanaged switch? Model number.

I don't work for Google.

unclsams
Community Member

Another thing Im noticing now:

Google Wifi Router WAN IP is 192.168.1.195, LAN IP is 192.168.86.1 as seen in "Device Settings" menu.  I see this WAN IP 192.168.1.195 registered and Verizon Router. Shudnt it be the other way around ?

Also, "Device Settings" for all the wifi points show the LANIP as "192.168.86.xx".

All my devices connected to the wifi network are getting the 192.168.86.*

So, it looks like the Google Wifi Router acts as the DNS/DHCP server now and not my verizon router.

Is this how it should be setup ?

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

If you get 192.168.1.195 as WAN IP your ISP equipment (Verizon router) is not in bridge mode / bypass mode / passthrough mode.

---

The main Nest Wifi unit will act as a NAT router with firewall, DNS and DHCP, so ISP equipment should act as a modem only to avoid double NAT. More info on why:

Nest Wifi can be bridged, but then wireless mesh will not work, and you'll need to make one Google Home home per Nest Wifi unit. More on that:

If you want your ISP box to be the router, with a standalone Wi-Fi solution that supports central management, Nest Wifi ain't it. Maybe you could check out Netgear, TP-Link or Ubiquiti UniFi instead.

I don't work for Google.

unclsams
Community Member

My Verizon Router has only 1 device attached currently - and has only 1 IP registered in its network - which verified by logging into router --> network and DNS details. And that 1 device is the Google Wifi Router with the IP 192.168.1.195, no other devices show in its DNS & DHCP records. I did recheck the verizon router device in "Bridge Mode"

LAN IP of my Google Wifi Router is 192.168.86.1, and the "Advanced Settings --> LAN" here shows Router LAN Address as 192.168.86.1 and the DHCP Address pool range. "Advanced Settings --> Network Mode" shows Google Wifi Router in NAT(standard mode) and the Wifi points in Bridge mode.

All devices connected to the unmanaged switch (NETGEAR GS316), including the wifi points all have 192.168.86.x addresses. TVs & laptops, Synology NAS connected to the Ethernet ports of switch all have 192.168.86.x addresses
This confirms that the Google Wifi Router acts as the DHCP )with 192.168.86.x pool, and not the Verizon Router which has 192.168.1.x pool

And the switch ports from/to the wifi points are actively blinking, though I couldnt verify from the Google Home software if backhaul is being used, including by testing Mesh Connection

Is this how this should be configured OR is there a better way ?

BTW, everything works fine from usage and performance perspective in this single mesh network now..  though I cudnt validate if backhaul connection is being used to give best perf.

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

The Verizon router/modem combo is not in fact bridged when it a) gives out a private IP address, and b) you can log into it's web admin interface. But that's not really relevant here, except that you might experience performance and reliability loss because of double NAT.

The switch should be all good.

You can confirm you've connected it up like this?

And not like this?

I don't work for Google.

unclsams
Community Member

Absolutely yes I followed #1  (picture on the top), based on your guidance few months ago.

So, should the ISP router provide a public IP to the Google Wifi Router ?. I can call verizon and reconfirm how to set the ISP router/modem to Bridge mode.

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Bridge mode is to just pass through the traffic and the public IP. Nest Wifi is notoriously bad on handling double NAT, so it's absolutely worth a try.

I don't work for Google.

unclsams
Community Member

RESOLVED !!

I was under the mistaken impression that the ONT has to be connected to the Verizon Modem+Router which I googled and found is not the case, its just a router, ONT itself acts as the model for Fiber connections.

Here is the current setup:

Fibre Optic Cable --> Verizon ONT <-- Google Wifi Router's Internet point <-- Unmanaged Switch <-- Google Wifi Points (1,2,3) Internet points <-- TV connected via ethernet to Google wifi points ethernet... many devices on wifi Mesh.

In Google Home, Google Wifi Router WAN IP now has a public IP 138.x with LAN IP 192.168.86.1

Google Wifi points have LAN IP assigned as 192.168.86.x and shows "WIRED" !!

Thanks for all your help !!

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Awesome!

Happy to help. 🙂

I don't work for Google.