cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google wifi provisioner...? HelpME!

Schrokman
Community Member

Does this Google Wi-Fi provisioner app that my phone is updating, create Networks on my Wi-Fi that my Wi-Fi can't see because they aren't Google's mesh Network?

You understand what I'm asking? My network has a router that's not compatible with Google mesh. Does Google's Wi-Fi provisioner on my cellphone just bypass my router and create its own network that I can't see,  but that has access to my internet (whether I wanted to or not) and then use my phone's settings as it's access point, and make my phone it's own Google Mesh network that I'm not able to use?!

2 REPLIES 2

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

That Android app is a system app, not related to Google Wi-Fi or Google Nest Wi-Fi hardware products. From it's store description, the Google Wi-Fi Provisioner is used to “Provision and manage Wi-Fi network configurations.” 

It has always been on Android devices, but hidden as part of the operating system. Looks as though Google is now updating it separately via the Google Play Store without requiring a full Android update.

In short, nothing to be concerned about and not something you can directly use as it is an Android system component.

Google Wi-Fi Provisioner update rolling out via Play Store

tec2
Community Member

If you want to know more about google wifi then you can read -  https://smritycomputer.com/what-is-google-wifi