cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Wifi Pro 3 pack - Hardwire + WiFi mesh hybrid network

JackWy
Community Member

I have the Nest Wifi Pro 3 pack.  

The living room one is connected to my modem.

The bedroom one is WiFi meshed to the living room one.

I have put another one in my detached garage which is far away from my living room and it has poor signal. I tried to connect a cat 6 cable between the living room one and garage one. However, the garage one is still trying to establish a poor WiFi mesh rather than getting the connection from the hardwire cable itself. Is there a way I can force the garage one to use the hardwire from the living room one?

Screenshot_20231014-182256.png

Screenshot_20231014-182321.png

1 REPLY 1

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @JackWy 

Can you open the detailed settings/information screen for the garage unit while it's connected back to the living room unit? Make sure under Wi-Fi information, the "Connection type" is shown as "Wired". If so, and if you've run another mesh test after that, and it still shows as "Weak", then it's likely the cable connecting them is only managing to negotiate a 100Mbps rate (using only one of the four twisted pairs) rather than 1Gbps (using all four twisted pairs).

You might consider bringing that unit back inside just for testing and connecting it directly to the living room unit's LAN Ethernet port through a short, known-good cat5e cable. Then check the connection type, run a mesh test, and ensure it shows "great" rather than "weak". If that all works as expected, and moving it to the garage drops it back to "wired" + "weak", that's a pretty strong indication that cable isn't working properly.