cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest wifi randomly going offline

Sydtriman
Community Member

For the past week my Google nest Wi-Fi go randomly off-line. There have been absolutely no other changes in my network or environment that could cause this. I’ve had no issues prior to this. 

I can see a couple of posts in the forum of a similar vein, has anybody been able to solve this issue? Is it a firmware problem?

I’ve done a full factory reset which hasn’t helped, and in fact seems to have made it worse. 

Setup: Router (firmware 13729.57.27) and 2 points (firmware 1.54.267572)

any ideas?

1,464 REPLIES 1,464

I've had IPv6 disabled on mine for 6 months and Xfinity and hasn't made a difference unfortunately.

FreedomNacho
Community Member

I'm having the same issue. Google Nest Wifi, the latest "3 pack". The WiFi drops for a few minutes at random, at least 5 times per day. This is extremely disruptive during online work meetings, security devices, etc.

I come here and see that people have been reporting this same issue for months?? Is there a fix?? 

There is absolutely a fix. Return the Google devices and replace them with Netgear, Asus or really anything else. 

If you can live with 5-10 drops per day, stick with Google. For the last 6+ months, we've been assured that they are aware of the issue and are looking into it. 

We should make a big fuss and noise - PR, social media, etc. - until they do the right thing and actually provide support to the products that real people paid real money for.

While I agree with you, there have been a couple of articles about this and the response from Google has been crickets. I know of at least 12 other people on here who did what I did (toss Google and replaced it) so it's just new suckers, oops, customers here now. 

I actually thought they might fix it. It's been at least 6 months with nothing other than, "Google is aware of and addressing the issue." I now think they are "addressing" the issue by hoping everyone impacted gives up and buys something else.

guilhermesalema
Community Member

We need a fix, respect the customers!

I called Google again.  We changed the DNS settings this time.  We went from Automatic, to custom, and now to ISP's DNS.  Let's see if that works this time.  This is my 5th tech support call.  I will give them credit, the customer support is extremely patient and friendly, trying to solve the problem.

Ebinicoo
Community Member

Hi, I have the same issue and I have changed the DNS too, but still same issue. It is not working.

I have called them more than 5th. Since Nov.2021

HelBoy84
Community Member

they did same wiht me didnt work. DNS changing and everything they do is a sham. they know what the issue is but cant fix so they will do all this and eventually say your ISP is the issue. good luck

There's nothing you can do to solve this by yourself. The problem was a bad update in the past (Dec 2020), or even some Sonos patent breach that forced google to chance something in the software. I tell you this because this problem occurs since 2020 when I called the Google's support for the first time. I live in Brazil and I know that in USA the law has a punitive response to situations like this, I hope that some american lawer apply the rules. This topic is a open door!

I have been having this issue since early Fall of 2019, so the bad update or programming issue is from at least then, and that is across two completely different Nest WiFi Mesh Systems (had to replace the first one at Google's suggestion and that did not fix the issue)

MeshDC
Community Member

It has been over a week and I am still up and running with the ISP DNS setting.  My problem may be fixed.

eross4881
Community Member

As a warning after I did the "dns fix" I had faithful service for three weeks and then it was back to square one

MeshDC
Community Member

The ISP DNS solution lasted about a week.  I am offline again.

techguy
Community Member

It seems I might have temporarily addressed the issue. After I unplugged the x2 Google access points and rebooted the Nest Wifi and its Nest points (x2), I seem to have a more stable wifi connection.

this is less than ideal, I mean I am losing coverage to all corners of my home, and not to say I have extra equipment that I am unable to use... But it's working for the moment.

It's been less than 24 hours, so will give it a few days to see.

MeshDC
Community Member

When I unplug and reboot my point, it will work for about 3 - 5 days, then drop out.  Sorry to be bringing disappointment.

techguy
Community Member

What's your setup @MeshDC . do you have Nest Wifi only or a hybrid between Nest Wifi and Google Wifi ?

MeshDC
Community Member

@techguy, I have Google Nest.  I had one point, then two points, thinking it was the distance, but they still dropped out.

MeshDC
Community Member

@techguy, I went offline with the ISP DNS solution.  The "fix" lasted a little bit longer than a week.

MeshDC
Community Member

@techguyit's been a week and switching to the ISP DNS seem to have fixed my problem.  Before, the fixes that Google came up with only worked for about 3-5 days.  If it goes out again, I will update the forum.

techguy
Community Member

i see... i guess it may be compatibility issues between the 2 wifi products from google...  Who knows! closing in on 24 hrs, and my wifi on Nest Wifi devices only seems to be operational.( for now)

stickenhoffen
Community Member

I plugged all my Google Nest kit back in today, reset everything to defaults, IPv6 enabled etc. and also done the same with my router, a Huawei 5G CPE Pro (H112-372) 5G router; 3mb DSL and no fibre here.

I haven't even logged into the Huawei, and opted for double NAT, not desirable, but needs must.

Everything working smoothly so far. I spent most of the day with the Huawei device in bridge mode chasing MTU issues, but since neither the Huawei or Nest router allow me to change MTU, this was the last resort.

All my Nest speakers are responding, Internet is fast, all good so far. Will report back on the uptime.

eq12
Community Member

This has been an ongoing issue for me as well. It seems that it started with my front door cam going off line. It has incrementially increased to the point where 1-2 cameras (out of 5) are normally not connected and internet completely stops working for a day or so every few weeks.

erikahale
Community Member

I'm having the same problems. Started late 2021 and is increasing in frequency. Points and/or router now go offline daily and usually several times a day requiring a manual reboot or factory reset. It's VERY annoying and I can't seem to find a concrete fix. My reply is not a help but an additional cry for help. 

deep1
Community Member

I'm having the same problems as well. I have had this setup since 2021 and just started to have issues in Jan 2021. I am rebooting almost every day now.

Wibbsy
Community Member

I've managed to make progress with Google/Nest support- a 3 month project. There's acknowledgment there is an issue but they believe it to be rare/isolated. A firmware update is being worked on.

To be clear the issue I've been getting and working through with them is that, at occasion times during the day (usually 3 times) all APs suddenly go offline for 2 minutes or so, the Google Home app is unable to connect and then they come back online a couple at a time (usually the Nest wifi devices before the Google wifi devices).

To help them see there are more users affected please ensure each time your system falls over. As soon as it's back online report your system logs through the Google Home app as follows:

Google Home > WIFI > 3 dots/menu > Feedback...

I hope you know that the "firmware update" has been being worked on for almost 7 months? With zero progress.

Radar80s
Community Member

I have been on to Google support and they have got me to do various things and told me that their product isn't comparable with my router with the double NAT that you can't change but I started messing around with port forwarding on the plusnet router and so far so good but it's only been a case of hours 

Google did seem to acknowledge there is an issue and it has stumped them and they now keep coming back every so often with new things to try in the mean time I have ordered a new modem that is known to work how I want 

agemperline
Community Member

Is there any update on this? This just started happening 4 days ago and goes out multiple times a day. I work from home and this has made it impossible to do virtual meetings. I ended up switching back to a different wireless router because I couldn't be missing work. 

@agemperline, I am afraid not.  Google has given me several solutions, all which provide days of proper operation, and then the points drop out.  I wish I had better news.

You are in the same boat I was last December. I documented more than 75 outages in a week using my dog's invisible fence collar-to-wifi tracker. I also work from home. On one day, I lost 4 client Zoom calls mid-call and that was it for me.

You'll see if you scroll through this post that Google chimes in every month or so to say "We are aware of the problem and looking for a solution." Those posts go back about 7 months or so. So, no, at this point, you are probably SOL. You can play with double NATing, restarting the system every night, switching DNS, factory resets, IPV6 configuration, etc. You know, stuff you don't have to do with anyone else's product. You bought this so you could be a network tech person, right?

Kidding - I did what you are doing, hooked up an old Linksys device to keep my clients then bought Netgear Orbi. That was almost 4 months ago and I've had ZERO disconnections without needing to drag out my network engineering hat. You know, I literally did 2 things - plugged in the power, plugged in the cable.

hackztor
Community Member

Mine usually goes out every month or two. When it does, I unplug 1 of any access point and then it usually will come back online.

I just went plugged mine back in, it subsequently went out and your tip about unplugging and replugging and access point worked for me. Luckily I have one right next to my desk. Thanks for the tip!

PastorBryan
Community Member

That is how I make mine stable again as well.

atsang4279
Community Member

My older brother replugged the Google Nest Wifi router because he was experiencing issues with his iOS devices such as his iPhone and iPad. I completely disagree with his decision because there are still bugs that cause this router to suffer instability in connections while he was using his MacBook Pro 16''.

ForAFriend
Community Member

Greetings to all who have been fighting this fight longer than I have.  I was recruited by a friend yesterday to provide technical support with the dreaded OnHub migration to Google Nest (base+1).  The ISP is Spectrum with a Spectrum-provided modem.  My friend thought that it would be a breeze to set up since the first pair was many years ago.  After all, it's worked great for years and Google advised her that the OnHub would no longer be supported by end of year.  She called me in desperation.  After spending a day fighting with configurations, factory resets, and repeated connection issues, I came across this LENGTHY post.  Yowza!   I restored the old equipment and recommended she RETURN the Google Nest equip while she still can.  I assume no opposition on that point. 

My question for this group is what's your experience with low-cost options?  She definitely doesn't need all the bells and whistles (Google Assistant, IoT, smart home, etc.) - just expanded range for a couple computers, streaming TVs, and mobile phones.  It's a single story 2500 sqft ranch style home with the cable entry point on one end.  She was drawn to Google's simple setup and simple user interface initially because she could manage it without calling in technical backup.  I don't mind helping set it up, but I don't have hands-on experience with the new generation mesh products.  I'm not opposed to reading the specs and manuals, but your experience and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

go with the Orbi. Its a little more $$ but it does NOT have the problems that google has. Google has lost me FOREVER with this problem

Thanks for the feedback.  Which model?

I went with Netgear's Orbi. It's on sale at Costco right now. More expensive, but zero outages for the last 4 months. (I documented 70+ outages in a one week period in December with google)

Thanks - the AX5700/RBK843S ($849) seems like overkill for residential.  I'm all for future-proofing, but she currently has service 200Mbps DL and has sufficient coverage with the old OnHub+1.  She probably has < 10 devices in the house...maybe 20 at most with a house full of guests.  I would see leaving room for more smart home devices.  Would the AC3000 suffice? Or even AC1200?