cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest wifi randomly going offline

Sydtriman
Community Member

For the past week my Google nest Wi-Fi go randomly off-line. There have been absolutely no other changes in my network or environment that could cause this. I’ve had no issues prior to this. 

I can see a couple of posts in the forum of a similar vein, has anybody been able to solve this issue? Is it a firmware problem?

I’ve done a full factory reset which hasn’t helped, and in fact seems to have made it worse. 

Setup: Router (firmware 13729.57.27) and 2 points (firmware 1.54.267572)

any ideas?

1,464 REPLIES 1,464

Cruza
Community Member

Every time  I try and setup my google router it checks the internet and says connection issue and the router won’t connect to the point

Marc9876
Community Member

so like some have said, I switched off preferred activities. both video conferencing and gaming is unticked. haven had any issues since. looking back, i think it started when i checked video conferencing. 

It helps; but does not solve the issue.  I still have issues @Jeff  - this only helps smaller networks.  My network still requires reboots/speed tests regularly.  When are we going to get an update?

Jeff2570
Community Member

It helps for maybe a day, but then requires reboot.

This is beyond ridiculous at this point

Fractal
Community Member

This is still not fixed. 

sbg
Community Member

Agree: this still isn't fixed. But I've found something really unusual happening. The primary network goes down while the guest network stays functional. This has happened multiple times over the last couple weeks. 

Kitokatlin
Community Member

DO NOT BUT THIS ACCESS POINT, IT IS GARBAGE.  If you are considering buying it, don't.  My access points are going offline at least once a day now so I have been on the phone with tech support multiple times over the last week.  Both times they have hung up on me when they keep trying to have me perform the same basic steps over and over again and telling me everything appears to be working just fine.  Today, they basically told me that there is too much congestion from my neighbors and that I should perform a factory reset.  A factory reset will do nothing to fix congestion from my neighbors.  I asked him to change the channel to a less congested channel to which he replied we need to do a factor reset.  He then said we need to do a firmware update but I am already on the latest version of firmware.  It was at this time he hung up on me. They don't have a fix for it and this thread has been here since September 2021 with no fix.  They don't care and won't fix it.

robbiev80
Community Member

My nest router crapped out again randomly 30 min ago. The ISP router it is connected to is fine.

This is getting very annoying and I'm on the verge of replacing this expensive lemon.

SamTheCanadian1
Community Member

Today my WiFi network went down completely. i rebooted WiFi router and all the other access points but no impact. I would get White light indicating everything is good though when connecting to WiFi there is no internet access.

I did rebooted my entire network and still same issue.

What I did was on my main wired network I changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and then wahoo entire wifi started working.

I am wondering if the issue is with DNS server that my internet provider was giving. 

May be things someone can try and see if gives stability. I am keeping it under observation now. 

I did the same thing months ago with the DNS and, unfortunately, went right back to having the same issue.

Kitokatlin
Community Member

Decided to try out the Xfinity xFi Gateway instead of these horrible Nest Wifi Points.  And so far, it is considerably more reliable, faster and hasn't lost connection once.  So all of Google's theory's that my network is congested, or my neighbors networks are causing interference is bull.  I have the one gateway from Xfinity in the house and it is covering the entire home better than the 3 WiFi points with the router.  How ridiculous.  Nest WiFi is just a bad product, plain and simple.  Ironically, we have the Nest WiFi points at my office as well and they are doing the same exact thing and we don't have any network congestion or interference here where it is basically country and we don't have any close neighbors.

FormerNestUser
Community Member

Adding my voice as a former Nest Wifi user after months of frequently dropped internet just like everyone else here. I am outside the warranty so I dumped it and switched to Eero Pro 6. The recurring issue with Nest Wifi was interfering with my job when working from home as well as making for some angry kiddos trying to game online.  A few years ago we had the original Google Wifi prior to Nest Wifi and that worked pretty reliablly so I was happy to switch to the more feature rich Nest Wifi. Now I regret it! Working in the software engineering industry I am the go-to person among family and friends for tech advice. I had recommended the Google mesh systems when asked about whole house wifi. I will not be touting these systems anymore, and seeing the how blatantly this widespread problem is being ignored I will steer people away from Google Nest products entirely. 

SamTheCanadian1
Community Member

I found one solution for the issue when my Wifi losses internet connectivity.

My connection is

1) Internet provider router --> Wired Router --> Main Switch --> Local Switch 1--> Nest Wifi

2) Internet provider router --> Wired Router --> Main Switch --> Local Switch (1 to 5) --> Wired connectivity to various devices like TV, IPTV, Laptops, desktop, etc.

When Nest Internet is failing restarting Wired router that feeds into Nest Wifi solves the issue. 

Though Nest is the only one that has the issue, I use Wired internet for my laptops and other devices and none of them have issues. Could it be IGMP communication issues? 

Any thoughts? 

lonndog
Community Member

So here's a new one:  Tried to watch Disney+ on CCwGTV last night.  It rejected my PIN number, but I had the correct PIN, I was able to use it logging in via the Disney+ website.

After various reboots and unintall/reinstall app attempts, some Googling (!) found people with Nest wifi systems had to turn off IPV6 -- then it worked.  Same here, though it took SEVERAL TRIES for the IPV6 switch to stay in the off position.

The hole keeps getting bigger.

NB -- was out of town Thursday through Monday afternoon.  During that time, I kept getting errors from the Nest wifi.  When I got back home -- disregarding the weird Disney+/IPV6 thing -- everything was fine.

C'mon Google, do better.

HL-brokenrobot
Community Member

It's baaack!

I had this issue last year. Tried reconfiguring dns on the Google network. Seemed to work then didn't. Was fine until last week May 2022 and the network keeps going down every hour or so. Maddening. Can connect via Comcast WiFi so it's not the router or the cable internet connection. 

To clarify prior post.... The problem seemed to fix itself after about a month of hell. Everything was stable until last week of may 22 it came back. It's before 7AM and I've twice restarted the network already.

Curiously after the latest mesh test all my points show up as green as in good or great connection. Normally I have some poor or ok. None of the points have moved. Is google reclassifying quality (different kind of greenwashing )?

Aaand 10 minutes later it loses connection to WiFi points one by one until whole Google network is down but the app assures me: "your WiFi router is online and everything looks good" 🤣

Lost all points again 30 min or so later. This sucks.

OK I've been up now for 24 hours. From past experience it doesn't mean I'm out of the woods but its a good sign. 

Unlike here, I got quick and somewhat helpful interaction from Google on Twitter by DMing @madebygoogle

Cause of the trouble??

I asked @madebygoogle and didn't get a straight answer, but they did hint it was a botched firmware rollout: "While we're looking into similar reports, we'd like to check if this is related to the new firmware rolling out."

What I did:

I pulled out the power on my Comcast xfinity cable modem and also the power to my main nest wifi router, the one hardwired by ethernet to the cable modem.

After a few minutes I plugged the cable modem in and then I waited maybe 20 minutes for all the lights to come on and communications, landline etc, to get established.

It took a while, but I eventually got a notification from the google home app along the lines of "Wifi Network Offline"

After perhaps an hour from power off, I plugged the nest wifi router back in. It took a while to come up and connect with the points but I have been up since then (fingers crossed).

I stress I have done this exercise before without success, so it may just be coincidence, but the difference this time was leaving power off on the main nest wifi router off for a good hour or so.

What @madebygoogle suggested:

Try adjusting it and use Google's preferred DNS settings using the following steps below:

1. Open the Google Home app.

2. Tap the Wifi coin and then Settings (gear icon) and then Advanced Networking.

3. Tap DNS.

4. Select Custom and enter 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

5. Tap Save.

If your ISP supports IPv6, you can use these settings: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844 Once done, make sure to reboot your modem and Google Wifi router for 2 minutes to refresh the connection.

I had already set up the IP v4 DNS that way last year. This time I also added the ipv6 settings, although I stress by the time I did that I was already on a stable network.

they also said: 

You can give these steps a try if the Google Home app shows that your network is offline again:

1. Open the Google Home app.

2. Tap Wi-Fi >Settings (gear icon).

3. Scroll down and tap Advanced networking.

4. Scroll down to IPv6.

5. Toggle the switch off.

Once done, perform a 2 minute power cycle to refresh the connection:

1. Disconnect the power from the modem.

2. Disconnect the Ethernet cable and power from the parent point.

3. Disconnect the power from the child point.

4. Leave everything unplugged for 2 minutes.

5. Connect the power to the modem and proceed once the modem powers on fully.. It might take up a minute for the modem to power on. -All light indicators should be solid.

6. Connect the Ethernet cable and the power to the parent point. Wait until it’s fully back online.

7. Connect the power to the child point(s).

I strongly requested Google stop the practice of silent updates - they should at least let us know there WAS an update, and they should do a better job in general with these rollouts.

Good luck all!

eatmyshorts
Community Member

This is still very much an issue. Please do something about it. 

CodeMan
Community Member

Well I just pulled the plug on my Google Wifi router & mesh units. I had thought my ISP was having issues but it was GoogleWifi. I unplugged them all, changed the SSID on my Netgear to what my GoogleWifi was, and everything connected & running like a dream. Amazing,

I thought Nest camera servers were having issues, too, the past month, as it was glitchy & buffering constantly, but I guess was the GoogleWifi all along. Finally died tonight.

What was weird was I could perform an internet test on it, but no devices could access the internet when connected. Just dead.

Loved this system but I think I'll be moving on.

eross4881
Community Member

I almost made it two weeks and then three times since midnight last night. The "best" part of this issue is if you have a nest infrastructure such as cameras - they won't record diddly without working wifi. So any security that Google sells on this platform is as weak as the Nest WiFi is... Still an ongoing issue that Google seems hellbent on ignoring. 

And now only the router is coming back up, both access points are showing as offline in the Google Home app, even after numerous power cycles on both... Wtf Google... 

Boda7s
Community Member

Today is 03/05/2022. It's been almost 2 years without a fix for this issue. I'm tired of waiting and incredibly disappointed in Google. 

Ontheverge
Community Member

Agreed!  This is absolutely brutal and they don't seem to care.  It is the lack of support that has driven me from Google products and I am considering leaving the android architecture completely 

@Jeff  - still an issue sir.  When will we have an update?

u2numb
Community Member

So I finally find out that its my stupid google system that I have struggled with for years. I have blamed my ISP and they always tell me it looks good on their end. What happens to me is described over and over in this thread. Today I have had my internet go down for 5 min at a time over 6 times already. I can not work this way and I am going to have to move on from google. What is the overall move people are doing? What products actually work that are on the market and if there are issues the company does not ignore them?

Matt3061
Community Member

I have been having this issue for months now.  Same as everyone else.  Multiple times per day.  

Are there any options to get our money back? 

Or is there an actual ETA for Google to fix the issue? 

Having Google products was supposed to make integration seamless, but in reality I just have internet less.  

I agree ... This is getting into class action. Lawsuit territory!

@Jeff - status?  Still an issue.  Every day.  What is the eta for a resolution?  This thread feels like google has abandoned its customer base.

Ontheverge
Community Member

I so agree!  I feel for the people that have been dealing with this for months and months.  I feel really let down as I have 2 routers and 8 points to cover the house..... Should have bought another system!!!

Well I had had enough so I just bought a new system and installed it. Super easy set up.... still allows me to have ethernet at all points which was the one thing I did like about Google and my first speed test was faster than anything I got in 4 years of using Google Wifi. I would suggest people move on.. I know that might not be an option for everyone but if you can read lots of reviews and save up for a new system. So far I love it but again this is my first day time will tell but I am happy to not have to worry about this specific issue any longer.

CodeMan
Community Member

So I remembered why I needed the mesh points, because my Sonos goes bonkers without having a connection close by, so after having Google Wifi off for 24 hours, I turned off every single device in the home that connects to the internet. After doing this, turned off the Netgear, powered on the Google Wifi router. I then factory reset and removed the mesh points that were reporting as weak signals. Readded each one, one at a time. Network now green, mesh points excellent signals. Why? Who knows. This has happened once before with the mesh points. No rhyme or reason why they suddenly decide they are weak signals and tell you to bring them closer to the router, thus defeating the point of a mesh system. Nothing changed. They didnt move. There's no reason for it.

I then powered on and connected each and every device in the house, one at a time, after the cel phone of course (in order to control / access Google Home Wifi). Watching each device jump on the network and get assigned a new ip address. After about a 2 hour process start to finish, I'm nearing 24 hours of uptime & no issues. Hopefully I don't jinx myself but as the Magnificent Seven saying goes, "So far so good". Even my Hue lights are responding immediately to commands thru the Nest Hubs, while previously there was a delay.

Not sure how long this will last. The issue at hand is why this stuff randomly & sporadically happens. Everything will be fine, no changes in the home, and then suddenly, your smart home is dead. Nothing can access the internet on the network. For no reason other than somebody or something at Google decided to push out a command or "update" or something Google services related, and poof down goes the whole home.

For my situation, I really think the culprit is the mesh units becoming weak signals. Everything that was connected to the mesh units were unable to access the internet, while the main router itself was able to do an internet speed test and one device I recall close by was still running while the whole rest of the entire house went completely down. The next time this happens (hopefully never) I'm going to kill the mesh units and see if devices within reach switch to the main.

Ontheverge
Community Member

I did the same thing!  It worked for about a day.... I hope yours works better.  Mine was rock solid until last weekend... Update.... Garbage

sbg
Community Member

I'm a huge Made by Google user--all the Pixels, Chromebooks, Chromecasts, every Nest product, YOU NAME IT. And I loved Google WiFi mesh. But I reached my breaking point today. I have at least 12 Google and Nest routers and points. And they're basically garbage because THERE'S NO RELIABILITY. So I reached my breaking point today and ordered new Netgear mesh system. What a mess. 

Ontheverge
Community Member

I have moved away from Pixel phones to Samsung.  I am about to buy a ton of cameras for my house and prior to this the nest ones were a no brainer....

Never again.

Class action lawsuit anyone??

Wibbsy
Community Member

Looking myself at replacing now as it's too unstable (even after most recent firmware). Anyone had positive experiences of any of the below:
1. ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
2. Amazon eero Pro 6E | Tri-band mesh Wi-Fi 6E
3. Linksys MX8502 Atlas Max 6E Tri-Band Mesh Wi-Fi 6E System

The Netgear Orbi 6E is a tad too expensive.

Bavpav
Community Member

I got an ORBI RB650 but to be honest any systems are better than the Google mesh system ....

Username69
Community Member

Similar thing happens to me but it's not so random. I've noticed almost every day between 12:30-1:30 PM my Google Wifi will briefly go offline, and sometimes it takes 5-10 minutes to come back online. If Google Wifi needs to reboot itself every day, fine, but how about we schedule it for like 3am instead of right in the middle of the business day? I work from home and this has causes me to drop out of calls multiple times recently. It is annoying.

Mark99
Community Member

I was having this problem and I would have to reset every access point sometimes a few times a day and then it just stopped