cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest wifi randomly going offline

Sydtriman
Community Member

For the past week my Google nest Wi-Fi go randomly off-line. There have been absolutely no other changes in my network or environment that could cause this. I’ve had no issues prior to this. 

I can see a couple of posts in the forum of a similar vein, has anybody been able to solve this issue? Is it a firmware problem?

I’ve done a full factory reset which hasn’t helped, and in fact seems to have made it worse. 

Setup: Router (firmware 13729.57.27) and 2 points (firmware 1.54.267572)

any ideas?

1,464 REPLIES 1,464

I replaced my 2nd gen nest router (+ 2 points) with an Eero 6 mesh system. It has been flawless for the past 3 days. The only time it failed was when I connected one of my nest points to use it as a speaker only. It disabled the network within minutes. As soon as I unplugged it, the network came back. So you may be onto something about the wifi points being the culprit.

I considered doing this honestly. I just have a lot of Nest devices, I ASSUME the ecosystem works better if i match nest cams and thermos

I have a tech salad of devices lol. I have nest devices, wyze cams, ring alarm system, and no name branded smart plugs I've bought at Costco. Most of them are manageable via Google home. The eero app is very intuitive but I haven't used it much since the wifi actually works.

Mbolen
Community Member

It’s definitely the Wi-Fi. I hardwired 3 routers and they worked flawlessly for a week. Since I’ve added my Wi-Fi access points back and Google kept updating them and they started working. I never had a problem for an entire year until June 3, 2022. Ultimately they fixed it after I repeatedly complained for a month and provided screen shots. 

kg23
Community Member

My 4 devices have stopped going offline, but my network has been incredibly unstable. My ISP is very responsive and I am convinced the issue is with these Google Wifi pucks. Whatever Google did software wise in the last month needs to be undone.

NotherMan
Community Member

Day 6 since swapping the Cat6 that connected from router to switch and the WiFi has been stable. If this is my fix I'm curious how a cable to the switch effects the WiFi but kept hardline devices at full speed 

letters-numbers
Community Member

It's now July of 2022. It's gone from bad to worse. Now, after power cycling my google router (google wifi + 2 APs) I'll have a stable connection for 5~10 minutes. Yes, that's right, FIVE TO TEN MINUTES OF WORKING INTERNET.

how many issues need to be publically reported before a class action lawsuit?

I had the same issues for 20 plus days and I contacted Google daily the first week and then several times a day with screen shots of my issues. They replaced my router early on and it didn’t correct the problem. I can honestly say they finally fixed it with some additional updates. I was about to spend the money on something else when it quit going offline and suddenly became stable for the past week. Keep pushing and someone will address the situation. It’s not ideal but it worked for me. My entire home and business is run by Google. 

robbiev80
Community Member

Just get the Eero 6 guys. Trust me.

jelly1
Community Member

l change phone 

kg23
Community Member

Not that this issue needs more confusion, but I have been experiencing DNS blackouts from time to time that started around the time my pucks started randomly dropping offline. I am allowing the Google Wifi to select DNS "Automatically". Sometimes I lose DNS on certain machines while direct IP access still works. It doesn't seem to correspond exactly with the "pucks going offline" events (Google. This is clearly a widespread problem. Fix it!), but it did start around the same time that issue developed.

CDinBayArea
Community Member

It's July and it's still happening on my network. Sometimes 1 point appears offline and sometimes both points and 1 router appears offline. 

Setup: 2 routers (hard-wired, firmware 14150.43.81) and 2 points (firmware 1.54.294928)

HiNick808
Community Member

Bought this around Memorial Day and have started to notice the Wifi points randomly going down... Given how long many others have been commenting on this, I don't have much hope that this will be resolved soon. Shame on me for not doing more research before buying.

NotherMan
Community Member

After a month of it being magically stable, the Nest Wi-Fi went to complete garbage this early morning. unplugging, repowering, and restarting did absolutely nothing. a great way to start a remote work week. since I didn't have time to really mess with it it's now unplugged and offline while my laptop is hardlined to the modem. What kind of luck has anyone had with getting a replacement or re-imbursement from Google after dealing with this for months? I'm surprised this hasn't turned into a lawsuit 

RobC9001
Community Member

Just chiming in to say add another person to the list. My system is going offline multiple times per day for seemingly no reason. Did a factory reset which only served to waste my time and frustrate me. 

Now I find a forum filled with tons of people having this issue since last year and seemingly no one at Google doing anything to fix it, just a guy saying "we're working on it" for many months, with no discernable solution being provided.

Guess I'll have to face the unfortunate reality that I wasted hundreds of dollars on this product and no one cares. 👍

eross4881
Community Member

I got almost three weeks of no drops from these crappy little things and then four to six drops a day every day ever since. To add salt in the wound, Google support once again states that this is a personal problem and not a design flaw, nor is it a known issue (which just shows how futile this whole endeavor of logging issues, complaints and steps on this forum has truly been). I bought a LinkSys Velop mesh system and will enjoy setting it up tomorrow to replace the steaming pile of horse pucky that Google refuses to support or stand behind. F*** You, Google, you pissed me off for the last time. 

JRWriter
Community Member

Yea this is aggravating. I called customer support and they just send me in circle. They clearly dont want to replace the unit, so they just have me do random task to stall it feels like. I'm definitely considering making the jump to another meshnet. It seems like there isnt an answer/fix to the issue. Nest Points just go down.

robbiev80
Community Member

FYI - amazon has great deals on their Eero systems for prime day. 

Seanco
Community Member

I have one mesh point  and I have the same issue with the it goes offline randomly a few times a day. It's very frustrating. 

eross4881
Community Member

Also FYI, I was able to trade in the nest WiFi router and two points to Amazon for a $75 credit. It's not a recoup but it was something since I was just going to throw them out anyways. 

guilhermesalema
Community Member

Same **bleep**, this week I am having to reset the routers twice a day. Internet drop on routers from 700MB to 80MB but on my devices wired connected to ISP modem everything is fine. This problem is  old but Google is so stupid that they even give us a fix

Tosan
Community Member

7/15/2022 10PM EASTERN. No resolution yet, I also came here for answeres and migrated from a GoogleWifi to the NestWifi and started this issue. My entire wifi goes down and says either offline or weak connection to Main router. This was absurd since previously the other router/Mesh was working perfectly (google wifi). The problem doesn't go away and ever since 5 months ago when i purchased the system I've noticed my equipment doing this. I also have a NETWORK SWITCH and EVERYTHING connected there works accordingly. The theory of the damaged cat5 is intriguing, Ive been using the other cat5 from the modem and ....... that theory may be possible but highly unlikely. The data on the switch which is connected to the NEST, goes to a solid 2Gs without issues..... with the same wire which is almost 5 years old. The problem still is the "points" losing connectivity. This never happened previously, just like the others here with me.

lonndog
Community Member

Tonight was extry special.  Watching YouTube TV. and I get notices about problems with my network.  I cannot replay the exact sequence of events, but it was the case that at some points, it says "YOU HAVE NO INTERNET" -- yet YouTube TV kept playing.

It told me the main router node was down, while YouTube TV kept rollng.

I pulled power, counted to 10, and re-powered nodes that were offline.  Finally did so with the router node, and as if by magic, it was all 100% good again.

Voodoo, not engineering, is what we're dealing with.

Sounds like you had a buffet of YouTube unless you were able to hop around and watch new things. Or you're watching Ytv from a hardline smart tv, that's the only thing that saves me when I'm working remote... A hardlined laptop

I assume you mean buffer. It buffers indeed, all streaming players do, but it never stopped through the 15 minutes or so when Google Nest Mesh Status Bingo was cycling between No Internet/Node x is offline/etc -- basically, the software didn't know what the true status of the hardware was.

Hardline smart TV? My bad, it was YouTube TV, but via Chromecast with Google TV,  connected w/Ethernet to a hub (which also has a microSD card for extra storage; highly doubt it uses it for buffering, but maybe), which is then connected to a switch that is connected to a wireless Nest node. Whew!

My network has settled down quite a bit from several months ago when connectivity was flapping every few minutes. WFH was a nightmare, let alone watching TV! But it's also a far cry from how it was before 2022 when failures were very rare.

Hope they can get it back to that MTBF level.

eross4881
Community Member

Almost a week after getting the LinkSys MX8000 Velop Mesh system I have had ZERO (0) drops. ZERO!

Also, all of my other google/nest devices are actually working better. Ever since I installed our Nest Wifi mesh network our outside Nest Cameras had been going offline periodically throughout the day, every day. Google Support kept saying that was normal for that camera series... but since the MX8000 was installed the nest camera has not gone offline ONE SINGLE TIME. 

It is total crap that google still has not fixed the issue with the nest wifi design failure, and it is even more crap that they have the balls to advertise the Gen 2 Nest Wifi design in production without reaching out to affected users giving them discounts or free upgrades when the new nest wifi comes out. Not that I would trust another product with the name "Nest WiFi", unfortunately google has broken the trust beyond repair and I will never buy another google made product going forward. Their behavior during this "process" of nearly three years has been unprofessional, unethical, and brand name destroying.

G'bye Google, it's definitely you and not me.

HL-brokenrobot
Community Member

In addition to my posts in the thread below, I notice 2 new things:

1) the points and router seem to be getting very warm to the touch when this happens, but at other times when it's behaving they seem to be room-temp. Thoroughly unscientific anecdote, but if valid it suggests the issue is either causing or is caused by overheating.

2) the network seems to be bouncing but recovering withing a couple of minutes unlike a few weeks ago when it seemed to take ages to come back online. Could it be that Google has implemented a partial workaround? 

I'm curious if anyone else has noticed wither of these.

JRWriter
Community Member

I'm beyond pissed at this point. All 3 points went offline today. The main router, and the 2 points (1 being the gen 2 point, and 1 being the gen 1 point).

The main one at least came back up on its own, the other 2 did not. This is more frustrating because this brought down my nestcams and front door lock. I cant even get a refund because its 5 days past amazons 'refund' policy. Google is just giving me the run around. I wish I bought them from Costco. My current plan is to sell them cheap on mercari and buy the Eeros. Those currently have the best rating.

toadicusrex
Community Member

Still REALLY struggling, my access points go offline randomly every single day, some more than others.  Why don't they come back after a little bit instead of just going offline?  I can understand having occasional glitches, but this is getting RIDICULOUS.

HL-brokenrobot
Community Member

OK following my earlier posts my google mesh network has been falling over about once or twice a day for the last few weeks. The last straw was when it cut me off in the middle of a zoom interview.

Following a prompt by another person in this thread I decided I had better remove the Double-NAT issue and bite the bullet and switch the comcast cable modem to "bridge mode." I tried that myself about a year ago and it was horrible - lost all internet and had to get comcast to bale me out. This time I called comcast tech suppot to get them to do it for me.

The phone call (afterI had scoured the internet for a number to talk to a human at Comcast) lasted over an hour. Once the comcast modem was in bridge mode the nest router kept a pulsing yellow light indicating network connection error. After multiple resets and refreshes of the comcast modem, he was just saying "we've tried everything, better call Google," when the google nest router came back on line. Something was VERY laggy.

Anyway wish me luck! if I get the network drop problem again I'll know it's not the Double-NAT issue/Bridge Mode. I will try to update y'all either way.

In Wifi -> Wifi devices -> Nest Wifi router -> Settings cog, check the WAN IP shows up as a real public IP to be certain you are getting the public IP and not a 192.x / 10.x etc

Hopefully you end up seeing some improvements. 

I guess my last post got lost. After getting it into bridge mode it was up for about an hour before it fell over again!! Several rounds of unplug cable modem and router, plug back in after a few minutes... Nest kept pulsing yellow light meaning no internet. So no means to check wan IP and better still no internet at all since the wifi is off on the cable modem. An 4th go around with rebooting the yellow light turned white and I seem to be back up. But goes to show the problem is NOT bridge mode/ double NAT!!!

And an hour later all points offline again 

Back to online support with @madebygoogle on twitter. They claim Comcast never switched it to bridge mode, despite >1 hr with comcast tech doing exactly that..... but it's definitely much less stable than it was before the supposed switch to bridge mode.

I feel you. I didn't want to throw this detail to the mix, but I so work for the isp. I did all that. Frustrated I made a mistake, I retraced my steps, got another modem (mine personal) added to the account, did the restarts, factory reset on the Nest and no changes. However on another note, I used another phone/email , set up the Google Wifi I still had, set it up and what would you know.  It's stable, like a budweiser horse. The sad thing is that I set it up at the same point locations as the Nest...and those DO NOT drop.... doesn't say weak or slow....No internet etc.... it's perfect. As like the others, I changed for the upgrade, not for a headache. Btw if you guys are wondering is CHARTER. I even tried with a static IP I requested for testing purposes and still doesn't change the performance or behavior from the NestWifi.

So just so I understand, you upgraded to nest router+ points, had the issues documented in this thread, so you went back to your old google wifi (pre-nest hardware) and that is now stable, all else remaining the same? In other words, you have narrowed it down the nest hardware -specifically - that has the issues, and the older google wifi does not?

Yes. After all that troubleshooting, made new Cat5, moved points to alternate sections etc.

🤞🤞after dropping every hour or so yesterday afternoon into the night, despite being in bridge mode,  mine is now stable since the night 🤞🤞 But I also swapped the Ethernet cable mid morning inspired by your post. I've been here before. Definitely not out of the woods yet.

Definitely wish you the best 

I can confirm this for other setups as well, nest WiFi is the issue, not the older Google WiFi system.