cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest wifi randomly going offline

Sydtriman
Community Member

For the past week my Google nest Wi-Fi go randomly off-line. There have been absolutely no other changes in my network or environment that could cause this. I’ve had no issues prior to this. 

I can see a couple of posts in the forum of a similar vein, has anybody been able to solve this issue? Is it a firmware problem?

I’ve done a full factory reset which hasn’t helped, and in fact seems to have made it worse. 

Setup: Router (firmware 13729.57.27) and 2 points (firmware 1.54.267572)

any ideas?

1,464 REPLIES 1,464

Whoa - I got the Orbi RBK753S AX4200 for $549. Not sure I'd have dropped $300 more.

Thanks - the model/series helps.  My friend will be watching for sales and returning the Google Nest package.  I'll watch to these threads to see if the new firmware update Jeff mentioned today does any good, but I think she needs to get her money back while she still can.  It looks like many of you are beyond the point of return.

Mtdevine9
Community Member

I get this almost daily as well.  Sometimes multiple times a day.  Usually only lasts for 5-10 minutes but it’s very annoying while actively doing something.  Is there a remedy?

Longneck
Community Member

All of you commenting here are wasting your time, this will never be fixed. “Jeff” isn’t even real, it’s a bot! Stop fooling yourself and move on with new equipment. 

Whocarestop
Community Member

Jeff.. suck a **bleep**.   You piled of feces.  Fix the **bleep**ing problem

Whocarestop
Community Member

We need a lawyer and a class action lawsuit.  

I have sent a consultation request to a law firm in my city of Toronto.

Longneck
Community Member

Amazon….good idea…going there now, ignore me will ya!  (Jeff is a BOT!)

guilhermesalema
Community Member

@Jeff  Where are you now and can you tell us who here @ has the power to assume and fix this problem? People are screamming for a solution and Google acting like a blind and guilty company!

Don't forget that this trash product start selling in Brazil last month so the problem will keep alive in costumer houses and by the law, at least here in Brazil where I know how the law works and how can i apply against Google!

Kiboko
Community Member

Yup @Jeff is defiantly a bot.

Time to swarm @rsterloh on Twitter the accountable SVP for the Nest hardware platform.

https://twitter.com/rosterloh

5LeafClover
Community Member

Idea: Why don't we all go up to the all the retail sites like Amazon and Best Buy, etc... and post reviews - and specifically links to this thread?

Let's do it people! 👺👺👺👺👺

Perhaps we should consolidate our efforts and list target links so that we can collectively get the most impact. Suggested links?

I started doing this the same day I reached out for consultation from a class action lawyer. Please do it! The louder we are, the harder it will be to ignore the issue.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/google-nest-wifi-5-router-with-2-points-3-pack-new/15659555

agcommunity
Community Member

Having the same problems with Google Nest. The internet connection drops randomly and is back after a few hours.

spencerkellis
Community Member

After almost 2 years of great performance, my Nest router drops connection regularly, but not consistently. So far, I have: restarted the wifi using the home app, unplugged and reconnected all cables, used a custom DNS (8.8.8.8), factory reset the router and 2 mesh points, and renamed the wifi. Still, it will drop connection regularly, but randomly. The internet itself is working fine; when I connect directly to the modem instead of the Nest router, the connection works, and my modem shows no loss of internet. But the Nest router fails.

I changed my DSL modem (advanced settings) to be a transparent bridge

Factory reset my Nest router

Plugged the nest router into WLAN port of my DSL modem

used PPP credentials during router setup

I am hopeful this will continue to hold a good connection. We'll see when the kids are home from school and the wifi network really starts getting pounded...

After many days of my network cutting out 4-6 times per hour, I have now gone 24 hours without any drops. The change I made seems very promising (changing the ISP modem to bridge mode). I will continue to monitor and report back later.

Robert1480
Community Member

For grins, I grabbed my nest system out of the basement over the weekend. Hooked it up next to my new (in December) Netgear. 

For context, I gave up last December after losing 4 client Zoom calls in one day and documented about 100 disconnections in a week. 

Plugged it in, then routed my dogs wireless collar through it. The system notifies me by text when it can't connect to his collar. 

26 disconnections in less than 2 days. 

Back to the basement. 

Kiboko
Community Member

Overnight my mesh points updated their firmware. It is too early to tell if this update fixes this 4+ month defective behaviour introduced by Google Nest engineers. 

Current firmware versions I have are:
Router: 13729.57.27
Mesh Point: 1.54.279716

Sorry to tell you, but your version is not the last one: https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/11993118

brownel02
Community Member

Is there anyway to 'force' and update??  I am at 13729.57.27. 

I unplug and reboot every morning.  My speed goes from ~150Mbps down to <5Mbps by the end of the day with a few drops in between.  Hardwired connections are staying strong at ~450Mbps.  

Taluba
Community Member

Same issue, but with both WIFI and the ethernet cat5 connected devices. Drips out just long enough to disconnect the VPN for work, but doesn't interrupt anything else. 

ppathak
Community Member

I thought it was just me that is seeing this issue. 

My google mesh is being unreliable and I lose internet connection randomly. This has been going on for a couple of months now.

Ugh !

Good news! Google has assured us they are aware and are looking into it!

Sure, they've said that every month for the last 7 months, but I'm sure a fix is right around the corner! 

🤣

Luckylenny53
Community Member

My Nest door bell and Mini Nest keep dropping. Tried everything. POS system should have bought a Amazon setup!

krkholmes
Community Member

I haven't had a drop in weeks but 5 minutes after I got home today to work my system went down and needs a factory reset. I should not have to do factory resets very few weeks. What is best replacement you have found under 300

krkholmes
Community Member

I was fed up trying to do a factory reset of my router.  I have to be able to work from home.  I contacted Google chat and after a frustating hour plus we got the system back going and then they gave me some custom settings.  After that I had to unplug my modem and all the points, leave it off for 2 minutes and plug everythign back in - get it going again and they did a reset of the system.  They assured me it would be fixed.  We shall see.  I orginally contacted them demanding a refund.  

Did it work?

So far so good.  

I'm guessing the custom settings were setting the DNS to 8.8.4.4 ? pls share...

Also, the unplug everything for >2 mins is my standard response now when it misbehaves which is every few days (except I unplug cable modem >15 mins, wait until that's online before I plug the Nest router in, wait for that to be up and stable for ~15 min, then plug my points in 1 by 1). I have to do the ritual perhaps 3 times in a day before it settles down.

My DNS is set to 8.8.8.8

Probably with 8.8.4.4 as backup. Yes that worked for a while for me until it didn't. I hope you have more luck

LukeTS
Community Member

I just wanted to hop in and say that I'm having the same issue and it has been getting a lot worse over the last week for some reason.

I have 2 Nest Wifi routers in a mesh. A few weeks ago the 2nd router (acting as a point) went offline. I had to factory reset but once I went through the process it was working fine for a while. But since about a week ago it's been an absolute nightmare. The 2nd router basically disconnects every day. And it disconnects in a strange way. If I click on it in the Google Home app it says 'Great connection', if I click on 'Wifi devices -> Points' the app also tells me the 2nd router has a 'Great connection', but if I run the mesh test the 2nd router comes back as offline.

Basically the only way I can tell it's gone offline without running the mesh test is by looking at my signal strength. Fortunately, my Wifi is not completely unusable without the 2nd router, but it leaves a very sour taste to have spent so much money on what is currently simply a paperweight.

I saw there is a new firmware update (M94), but it hasn't been rolled out to any of my devices. Has anyone here received this update and can talk to whether it fixed these issues?

imjeeves
Community Member

Hey everyone

So I've been keeping up with this thread via email updates and, I have to say, this is absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable that this issue still hasn't been fixed.

I have happily moved over to Netgear Orbi RBR750 (1 router, 2 APs). Its a faster wireless connection, the Points are more reliable. Been running with them for months now (since January 2022) and have had zero downtime - unlike the Google Nest mesh garbage. Oh, and it costs about the same as the Google Nest system! 

So that's all well and good - but my biggest issue is that support wouldn't let me return the system for a refund because they only give you 15 days to return the system, which is ridiculous. Looking back, that should have been a huge red flag. So hopefully there's a class action lawsuit and I can get my $300 back from Google one day.

So yeah, if there's a lawsuit, count me in. 

wordup
Community Member

I am having the same issue with the Nest WiFi router going offline at the worst times.  I spent my whole Sunday dealing with this issue and even did a factory reset of the router and all WiFi points.  Then it went offline again today, just five days later.  I've spoken with Xfinity and I've plugged in an old wireless router and have had no issues at all.  The problem is clearly with the Nest WiFi router.  What is being done to fix this and/or issue refunds for this expensive system?

If you've looked through this thread, you'll see that this started happening to people last fall. There is an easy fix, however!

Google rep Jeff has assured us that Google is aware of and addressing the problem. He did this in early September, October, November, December, January, February, March and last week. So clearly, a fix is right around the corner! 😂

Seriously, your real choice is to learn to live with random disconnections or buy something that works. I lived with a Linksys box that was almost a decade old as an interim solution until I bought Netgear in December. ZERO outages since then.

Maybe it’s worth getting an updated article  from 9to5Google. Negative press is sometimes more effective than legal action.

MSITHero
Community Member

I just read a new news story that google is working on the next Nest Wifi that includes WiFi 6E. I think they are just writing off the current generation of Nest Wifi and figure we will relase a new device soon. But the people who got burned on the old ones will not be spending money on the new ones. They will, like me, choose a new brand. Love my Netgear Orbis. I have not had a single network disconnect since December when I ditched my Nest Wireless. 

Kiboko
Community Member

My mesh point firmware update sometime after 3/25.

Issue is still occurring after the firmware update on the mesh points:

Current Firmware Versions: Router FW: 13729.57.27 / Mesh FW: 1.54.279716