cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest wifi randomly going offline

Sydtriman
Community Member

For the past week my Google nest Wi-Fi go randomly off-line. There have been absolutely no other changes in my network or environment that could cause this. I’ve had no issues prior to this. 

I can see a couple of posts in the forum of a similar vein, has anybody been able to solve this issue? Is it a firmware problem?

I’ve done a full factory reset which hasn’t helped, and in fact seems to have made it worse. 

Setup: Router (firmware 13729.57.27) and 2 points (firmware 1.54.267572)

any ideas?

1,464 REPLIES 1,464

SSPollock
Community Member

It sounds like there's multiple issues going on simultaneously here. For me there was dual Nat which was fixed by setting up a DMZ on my Xfinity router for my Google wi-fi. Since setting that up I have not had any further issues. I know some people have tried this and it did not work, so not a solution for everyone. But, wanted to make sure that people know that there is possibly a solution for some of these issues. Good luck!

bessler
Community Member

I unplugged my APs for about a week.  Relied on the much smaller network of just the Main router.  I have sense plugged back in the APs and they reconnected to the Mesh network.  They have been working fine for the last several days.

:shrug:  Still not going to buy google for my next wifi

DrStarz
Community Member

I have the same problems, except I'm actually running 2 routers and 1 point (for added Ethernet). The system used to work flawlessly and recommended to everyone. Now, not only is my network breaking, but I'm getting calls from friends and family that they are receiving the "XYZ Wifi offline - make sure the the cable is securely connected" error. Meanwhile, the nest router and points show their normal online status unlike the manuals said with the blinking or orange lights.

It is not due to the distance, nor the other nearby equipment, it's a firmware error. (Although others in this thread may have other issues, most sound the same as a result of version 13729.57.27)

Jason_L
Community Member

Dr Starz - do you know when this version was pushed through? I checked my network and confirmed this is the version I have. No idea what it was before. 

PSTC
Community Member

I also hit this issue multiple times a day.  Nearly all household devices get disconnected and stay offline until i reboot the whole wifi system (1 main and 2 access points).  Windows, mac and linux machines all lose internet connectivity (though still say they have an active wifi connection). Strangely the Nest Hub Max, google TV devices and nest mini regain connectivity on their own after a while. but the other (non-google) systems don't come back automatically.

ilz
Community Member

Exactly same thing here! hopeful a new router can help with the fix

Kitokatlin
Community Member

And there it goes again, when will this be fixed?!

alcas
Community Member

These disconnects have lost me quite a few clients. I keep disconnecting and they keep saying it’s unacceptable. I guess my business will just continue to eat losses until I can figure out a different setup. My friend having the same issue just switched his setup and returned the nest wifis. He has perfect internet now. Kinda jealous 

Same issue here. Been months with no fix. Disappointing 

Eda1
Community Member

Just wanted to chime in to say that I’m having the exact same problems with my Nest router + point. WiFi is spotty even sitting right next to my router/point. Point will intermittently flash orange multiple times a day. My phone will constantly swap between 2.4 and 5 ghz even as I sit in the same spot.

Speed/mesh tests on the Google Home app will indicate “excellent” connection and “blazing fast” internet, even as my phone struggles to even load this community page…

Tried moving my router and points around, rebooting, factory resetting, changing my DNS, etc etc to no avail. Turning off my point seems to stabilize the network, but even then, the range is so limited.

Hoping this issue gets resolved soon, as I’m so, so close to ditching Nest WiFi entirely.

Wibbsy
Community Member

This is now happening multiple time a day up from noticing it once or twice. I'm sending the log reports but it's getting to the stage (like others on the thread) where I seriously need to consider a home wifi replacement if there isn't a fix soon. I can't rely on the wifi for work calls.

LaurenP
Community Member

@Jeff I’m having the same intermittent connectivity issues on my Surface Pro running Windows 11 (and when I was running 10). The rest of my family all use Macs/Apple products and have no other issues. Is there something with Windows that might be causing the issue that your team can help with? I haven’t gotten anwhere with Microsoft support. TIA

Unfortunately this is the access points going offline completely, doesn't matter what is connected or what OS.

Kitokatlin
Community Member

Another Day of WiFi access points randomly shutting down.  As usual, all hard wired devices working just fine, all 3 of my access points are offline.

David7
Community Member

Still having issues. Google....please help 

gwinegarden
Community Member

I am in the same boat.  The irony is that I bought them to replace 3 TP-Link M4's that kept crashing.  Now, I am totally conflicted.  I thought the the TP-Link app was pretty useless but it was still better than Home.  Now, I have to decide which ones to buy next.  This is getting expensive.

Robert1480
Community Member

Same thing happening here. For the first two months, the network was fast and solid. For the last month or so, it has been randomly going offline, often while I'm on and/or hosting Zoom calls for work. Completely unacceptable. I have a router and three access points. Going to return them all after the holidays if this is not fixed by the end of the year. Anyone have any suggestions for replacing these? I can sacrifice a bit of speed for stability. These are not even close to stable.

Nayyad
Community Member

same problem here...  any updates cause this is starting to become reqlly annoying

gwinegarden
Community Member

Well, I got hold of support and they gave me a solution to try.  It appeared that, in my case, my network was out of synch with the cloud.  The app seemed to be very confused.  Powering the units off and on made no difference.  So they had me switch my main unit with another one, and do a factory reset via the app.  At this moment, everything is OK but time will tell.  The switching of units is to, they say, to help them find the unit causing the issue if it reappears.

Can you share the number you called or email address you used? I'm going to give up on January 3rd. I can't keep losing internet 5-10 times per day during work.

Contact Us - Google Nest Help and request phone call or, in my case, chat.

Did they send you a new router then to switch it out with? 

No, I just swapped if for one of my other units.  They just wanted one of the others to be the main unit.

I'm a little confused as there is typically only 1 router in a network, the rest are just access points.  You had multiple routers?

No, but any unit can be a designated as the "main unit" or router.  It is the one attached to your modem.  The rest become points.

Robert1480
Community Member

Why not? Here's my info

Network Connectivity Questions:

How long did the WiFi network work properly before encountering connectivity issues?

- It was running from July - October with zero issues. Problems started then but were infrequent. In November, it was more frequent, occurring every week, then this month every day, and now 5-10 times a day that I notice.

How did you discover that the network was having connectivity issues?

- Web pages initially failed to load. But noticed the increased frequency last week. I lost 10 client Zoom calls mid-meeting in a two day period last week.

Did any of the WiFi points give audible errors, such as:

“I can't reach the internet right now. Check your modem or router connection and try again.

“I can't connect to the Wi-Fi network. You might want to check the connection settings in the Google Home app”

- Think I've heard both. Can't remember exactly but I do remember an error starting something with "I can't..."

WiFi Setup Questions:

What is your WiFi setup? (single router or multiple access points - how many?)

- Single router with three additional Nest wifi points.

- Router and access points are all on the same floor.

Did you change yourWiFi setup recently / was it was working fine before / what did they use before and what did they swap to?

- Zero changes.

What's the configuration of the network? Are you using a mesh network, WiFi repeaters etc?

- Mesh configuration with one Wifi Router and three Nest Wifi Points

-- Trying to figure out how to return this stuff - I run a small business and losing clients mid-call on a daily basis is not acceptable.

BSkeats1
Community Member

I've noticed something very curious...

I just switched internet providers from Xfinity/Comcast to Ting fiber. Besides the freedom from long hold times, I am no longer experiencing this issue nearly as frequently. It is only occuring every other to every three days on average, still more than should be happening with the cost of this set up that worked perfectly for almost a year.

That said, I went from xfinities "gigabit" package, roughly 500 Mbps download and 8 upload (what a joke right?) To Tings only local plan at roughly 900 Mbps download to 800 Mbps upload.

I've also noticed that the issue tends to occur after massive uploads. Obviously not a solution for everyone but that may be something for Google to look into.

I mean with a single router 2 point set up I'm fixing on average 2 points a week and not at the same time.

callmemaestro
Community Member

We're suffering horribly with these points. We have a mesh of 6 of them (covering a single-story home and the outdoor irrigation and pool equipment).

They don't work. I'd say about 20% of the time they're down. A big investment, gone to waste. My sense is the problems are so bad that the software is unfixable. 

sanmiguelmalo
Community Member

Same issue. I really should have searched for issues before buying because I only recently switched over to nest wifi from my orbi system (ironically because I was looking for a more robust mesh network that I could extend to my detached garage).  Since I've switched I've had intermittent wifi network drops almost everyday.  I've got 4 nest wifi routers. I'm going to be switching back to my orbi set up and just buy another satellite. Maybe I'll check back in in a few months to see if this was ever resolved.

Rocketboi
Community Member

Just want to add yet another voice to this issue. Reset many times, factory reset only last 12hrs before the issue happened again, only this time my wired (ethernet directly into the nest router) also couldn't hold any signal. Plugged straight into my modem and I get my expected speeds up and down. This is ridiculous.

Chavo
Community Member

I've had a similar experience. Watching a movie casting to my Chromecast and interrupts again. What is going on that there is no solution for such an expensive piece of equipment.

MTJaxon
Community Member

Adding our dissatisfaction as well. Have had our Nest Wi-Fi for two years and have begun to experience poor connectivity and interrupted streaming. With such an expensive system, we need a fix. Please work on it so we can remain loyal Google clients. (From a family with 2 Pixels, Google Doorbell, 2 Google/Yale locks, 4 Google cameras, two Google Nest Hubs, 3 Nest Learning Thermostats, and 1 Google Nest Hub Max.) We've invested thousands in our Google smart home, and this current issue is unacceptable.

Bkaya2908
Community Member

Arrived here looking for a solution. Now using a different router with Google Nest router and points completely unplugged. 

Really hope they push a fix soon. 

Robert1480
Community Member

Want irony? Started to answer and network disconnected. Use ANYTHING OTHER THAN THESE. Any commercial wifi device is a better option right now. 

cupidfallsfarm
Community Member

same problem here. Points just randomly go offline. Unplug/replug and they might work for a day. Im off next week so i plan on spending some researching my NEXT mesh wifi. Really disappointed in google not fixing this. Router, 5 points and 6 other devices. This will be expensive. If i have to replace this i will not own another google product EVER.

FIX YOUR JUNK

alexmartinez201
Community Member

My WiFi is doing the same thing. If I hard wire into my router my computer is getting 900Mps download speeds. If my computer is connected to the router via wifi the speed fluctuates between 450Mps download and 0.1Mps upload. I have wifi 4 wifi point throughout the house and they are all within the range they should be but they loose signal from the router and swing from strong connection to no connection throughout the day. Some go offline for hours at a time and then come back on with perfect connections. Super waste of time and money.

SoFly88
Community Member

In short, I am having the same the issues as pretty much everyone else in this thread. @Jeff  is there a fix from GOOG for this? Or are we just SOL and should stop using GOOG wifi network. I'm ready to give up. My wifi router will not run through the setup wizard. it is completely offline and disconnected. Please send help ASAP

NEFAN4life
Community Member

Having same issue with my google nest router. It is stuck on offline mode. Many resets and factory resets.  Getting very frustrated. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Experiencing same issue. Many resets and factory resets later, the problem persists. I’m so frustrated. 

MicrophoneCheck
Community Member

Used to be that connection would drop intermittently. 

After factory reset, router and the point is completely bricked. No access via home app. Had such high expectations 😞