cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest wifi randomly going offline

Sydtriman
Community Member

For the past week my Google nest Wi-Fi go randomly off-line. There have been absolutely no other changes in my network or environment that could cause this. I’ve had no issues prior to this. 

I can see a couple of posts in the forum of a similar vein, has anybody been able to solve this issue? Is it a firmware problem?

I’ve done a full factory reset which hasn’t helped, and in fact seems to have made it worse. 

Setup: Router (firmware 13729.57.27) and 2 points (firmware 1.54.267572)

any ideas?

1,464 REPLIES 1,464

what cave have you been living in.

That’s really interesting, I’ve read up on this now. Seems plausible they have removed or updated something, that now causes failures. My system was flawless for 12 months and now it’s pants. Really pixsed off.

imjeeves
Community Member

Well yeah, I'd agree with that - seems possible that something changed. I was just pointing out the guy's flawed argument. I mean, I could say "it's clear that Nest put in some code to randomly shut off an AP. Prove me wrong!" 1) I can't be proven wrong and 2) it's not a helpful statement other than just getting people angry. I'd rather hear troubleshooting steps, conversations with support, actual findings and just random speculation about patent infringement 

Except for the fact that I have the older Google WiFi so no speakers so nothing to get broken by removing speaker group pairing yet I have the same problem and have had this problem since before Google lost the infringement lawsuit. 

brownel02
Community Member

You can follow my other post on a similar subject.  Seems like these are all related (with no resolution):

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Nest-Wifi/Weak-Connection/m-p/88551#M7860

Saw the link to your post from 9to5Google

https://9to5google.com/2022/01/20/nest-google-wifi-offline-random/

Alphabet
Community Member

This has happened to me a few times in the past couple of months as well. It's nice to know that others are having the same issues. I look forward to a fix! Thanks. 😊

😂

Don't hold your breath...this has been going on for more than four months, and for more than four months, the Google rep on here has said, "We are aware of the issue and looking into it." If you actually need functioning wifi that doesn't randomly do down throughout the day, look into an alternative.

BSkeats1
Community Member

Soo interestingly enough, I switched isps and rearranged my points and I haven't experienced an issue in over a month now.

Basically, I noticed significantly less sporadic drops when I switched isps. Then I was setting up an office in a new room so I moved a point on the third floor into the office and then moved a point on the 2nd floor to the other side of the house.

Last week I thought I had finally had an issue again and my suspicion that it was resolved faded, then I found out that the circuit it was plugged into blew. I flipped the fuse back on and bam. Problem solved.

Other things I've noticed, I went from unstable speeds with my old ISP to incredibly stables speeds which is when the error slowed down. Then it seems over completely now that the points have been moved.

I have no answers, but I switched from Xfinity to Ting fiber and the system is back to it's stable, reliable, and trusty self. I'll update if this changes.

Digitaldai
Community Member

Same problem here

kjtocool
Community Member

I'm experiencing this as well.  It seems my connection points randomly fall off-line.  I get a message that "Hallway Access Point" is offline.  The troubleshooting support in-app is unhelpful, and ultimately, unplugging and replugging the point tends to solve the issue.  If it's not urgent, simply letting it stay offline also seems viable, as it somehow seems to cycle itself back online after a time.

I'm lucky, for me, the frequency is only about once a week that I notice.  But frustrating.  I upgraded to Nest Wifi and 2 points expecting an upgrade, has unfortunately been even less reliable.

HelBoy84
Community Member

I have the same issue. At random times one of the point will be offline or show weak connection. I work from home and I immediately start noticing calls dropping or  not connecting. I have been in touch with Google support but they have not been able to provide much help , even tried to blame my ISP. It is really frustratin.

Gh0stRyd3r2036
Community Member

I am having the same random reboots it just recently started. I have a Nest router and one point with two Google WiFi points. It seems to affect the older WiFi points but happens to the Nest point occasionally. I have also noticed the mesh has had a weaker connection between points lately also.

I'm on SW 13729.57.27 

Merliton
Community Member

Same issue here. Thought it was spectrum, but its not

Got an internet monitoring extension on chrome...this is what my life is like

Merliton_0-1643156983956.png

Same here! 

what is the name of the extension, please?

Klminor52
Community Member

Add me to the list, same issues. A couple weeks ago, non-router access points started going offline, requiring a power cycle to correct. 

MSITHero
Community Member

I had Nest WiFi Router as main AP with Google WiFi as Satelite APs. The offline issues got so bad and so frequent that I gave up and replaced my setup with a Netgear Orbi setup. Speed and quality has been night and day difference. It is so nice not to have to reboot my router AP a few times a day anymore. 

bknyjp
Community Member

What is your sq ft? How long have you had it? 

MSITHero
Community Member

My house is 3300sqft three levels. We had the Nest Router on the main floor and Google WiFi on each of the other two floors.  I started with a 3 pack of the Google WiFi like 5 years ago. One failed 1-2 years ago and I replaced it with the Nest WiFi router. The resolution was always rebooting the Nest WiFi router after the issues started. 

bknyjp
Community Member

Gotcha. I should've clarified. How long have you had Orbi?! 

MSITHero
Community Member

Orbi, about a week now. I also down sized to the Router and one Satellite AP vs router and 2 satellites. Signal performance seems better than when I was on the 3 with Nest/Google. 

bknyjp
Community Member

Awesome. Thanks for the info. If you have time, in a month or so...check back. I'm sure everyone here would appreciate an update on a reliable Wi-Fi router lol

imjeeves
Community Member

Yeah, I hear good things about the Orbi's - expensive, but good stuff.  I'm looking at those if I keep having issues with the Nest Router/APs.

The Orbi is more expensive, but I do not need as many mesh units. I went from a 1+2 setup to 1+1 with Orbi and get better signal coverage now. So that drop in only needed 2 units helped reduce the upgrade cost. 

Welcome to the club. Same thing I did. It's so refreshing when stuff works, right?

Its great. Love the speed boost with WiFi 6, as well as having the third band for the mesh connection between APs. So nice. 

Choco
Community Member

This happened to me too last week. My best wifi network went offline with no apparent reason. I had to factory reset and configure my network and devices from scratch

VikasGowdaKS
Community Member

Even i have been having the same issue with my tp-link on hub router.

Kitokatlin
Community Member

News Article about this exact issue, interesting read and apparently Google has not commented on the situation.

jeffsh
Community Member

I have been using Google Mesh Wifi for 4 or 5 years now. A few months ago, I found the wifi is very unstable. I tried factory reset and it got better for a few days then the problem came back. Eventually, I had to use wired connection to my work PC. So wired connection is very stable and seems only Wifi issue. 

Cardinals625
Community Member

Same issue as the rest of you I will be calling Google in the morning this is super annoying it's happening so much

alastoria
Community Member

Adding to the list of issues. Obviously I've got the same intermittent connectivity loss issues, otherwise I wouldn't be here. 

Reddonkey
Community Member

I had this issue over a several month period in Nov-Dec. First noticed streaming video or video chats dropping for a minute or two.  Then became more frequent and for longer periods. Initially chalked it up to ISP outage, but it became clear that it was a Nest wifi issue.

Rebooting or factory reset did not help at all. Eventually dropped in a new Nest wifi router and everything has been working fine for a few weeks now. Very frustrating that it came to that, but might help someone out if you are able/willing to do that or bought from somewhere with very generous return policy.

Macallantheman
Community Member

I have been experiencing the same over a periode of time. I hope there will be a fix for this problem soon. 

Whocarestop
Community Member

Same problem.  I think Google has lost their minds or something. Wtf.  Seriously. 

RaduHorga
Community Member

This happened to mine too. I know that is not the ISP, as I have a computer connected to the router and never had a connectivity issue. I did twice a factory reset for the network but that did not fix the problem. Working from home we rely heavily on our wifi to be reliable and consistent. Contacted Google and waiting for a solution.

Vtown21
Community Member

Some people I heard have been reaching out to websites to bring visibility to this unacceptable situation..... 

https://9to5google.com/2022/01/20/nest-google-wifi-offline-random/

https://pocketnow.com/google-nest-wi-fi-routers-offline-issue

jpsoraire
Community Member

I just read about this on a tech blog and I thought I was alone in this issue and I really thought it was an isolated issue.  Now I know that I wasn’t going crazy.  I have the first hen Google Wifi and it still happens to me from time to time . I was looking at what Thai could be, but I had no idea where to start.