cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest wifi randomly going offline

Sydtriman
Community Member

For the past week my Google nest Wi-Fi go randomly off-line. There have been absolutely no other changes in my network or environment that could cause this. I’ve had no issues prior to this. 

I can see a couple of posts in the forum of a similar vein, has anybody been able to solve this issue? Is it a firmware problem?

I’ve done a full factory reset which hasn’t helped, and in fact seems to have made it worse. 

Setup: Router (firmware 13729.57.27) and 2 points (firmware 1.54.267572)

any ideas?

1,464 REPLIES 1,464

SM5566
Community Member

Just came across this when looking for answers as well.  Having the same issue.  Absolutely nothing has changed in setup. 

Bornad
Community Member

It happens to me all the time now

The most success I've had is it when I dropped one of my nodes from the network so I got one main point and one node and that seems to be much more reliable.

Google support had me change DNS and a bunch of other stuff and took reports but never came back to me

heflerbj
Community Member

wonder if there's any talk of class action suit since it seems to be affecting so many and if that would get a quicker resolution

ChrisDill
Community Member

Unfortunately, I had the same issue. I work from home, like so many others, so I couldn't afford to have my network continually crash so I replaced it with the eero 6. It cost more, but so far, no issues.

bpdamas
Community Member

It seems to help me by only unplugging my main router from power for a minute or two and then plugging it back in. I haven't noticed a drop since I have done that. I do think there are multiple issues going on causing the drops, but, for me, this has temporarily worked. I have a nest router plugged directly into the ISP wall connection, a switch plugged into the router with another switch downstream of that. I have 3 wifi points wired into the first switch and then two wifi points connecting wirelessly to the nest router. I don't know how long this will fix it for me but I haven't seen random wifi drops for a couple weeks now. Hopefully this can work for others and hopefully Google finds an actual fix.

UltramanDad
Community Member

Same issue here. My wifi would go out tor hours at a time sometimes. Even my Android TV, which is connected to the hardline via a bridge would continuously inform me vocally, "connected" "disconnected" every few seconds while watching something. I finally gave up yesterday and bought a Netgear Nighthawk and boxed the mesh router and access point up.

NBon
Community Member

When I first setup Google WiFi (router, 3 points) everything was fine for a few months. I was actually going to recommend it to a friend but luckily I didn't.  It's not been 4 more months where the points drop frequently requiring a restart several times a day.  It makes working from home very difficult.  I am at the point where I cannot trust that the network will be stable and I am going to have to look for another option.  

Every single day, multiple times a day points drop and the network is unusable. 

mbroughtontn
Community Member

I have been having similar issues as well. It seems my wired network stays intact most of the time but wireless randomly gets flakey

N200CW
Community Member

Mine has been doing the same for months. I was blaming my ISP, having them out to the house multiple times. It is incredibly frustrating and was almost costly as I considered changing my entire system out. When will we get a fix? 

Longneck
Community Member

There will be no fix for this, they’ve known about it for more than 6 months and have done nothing, I changed to a different system, fixed!  

Exactly. I have had it for like 6 months as well. I finally gave up and got a Netgear Orbi system and replaced Google/Nest. 

TheVuje
Community Member

I've had the same issue as well. I thought i was going insane. Hopefully they identify the issue and push out a patch asap. 

All three points are Google WiFi. Directly connected to Verizon ONT. 

holmsc83
Community Member

My system (1 Nest router, 1 Nest point, 1Google WiFi puck) last month just once, for about two hours. I did troubleshooting on every part of the system and isolated it to the WiFi network, ISP signal and modem were working fine. I was fortunate this happened during the evening since I work from home, it would be unacceptable for my availability to be affected by my WiFi system. In years of OnHub, Google, and Nest WiFi this was the first WiFi-specific issue and if it happens again I'll probably switch.

maxheadroom
Community Member

Mine started having major problems in December for no apparent reason (Nest WiFi router and 3 points).  Very frustrating!  It happened again yesterday when I noticed my Pixel 6Pro kept trying to reconnect over and over in an endless loop.  I had to restart the router.  Google, please fix this!  I thought I had upgraded from Google WiFi!

techie
Community Member

I am in same boat very frustrating 

10HzHuman
Community Member

Also having issues. Even been on the phone with support twice. Very frustrating especially since we can't even see any error logs.

MG11
Community Member

Been experiencing the same issues for months, I was actually looking to buy new routers online when I got an article notification about this issue so here I am. First no wifi 6, now this??? 

DWSch56
Community Member

I have been a victim of this phenomenon for a couple years. I have been blaming it on my ISP, who has required my home and switched out modems three times.  I also replaced the primary router with the latest Nest version and bought additional points (4 total now) even though I have a small single story home. Even so, the furthest point still indicates as weak on Google home.  I have found that when I power cycle the modem, it resolves the issue - which is why I went to the ISP for a fix.

I am glad to know now this is a known problem with the Nest Wi-Fi.  I just hate to have to fork out more money again for new equipment, as that sounds like to only solution at present.

kevinjoyner
Community Member

Yes! I have had exactly this problem over the last few months.

JorY
Community Member

Very frustating, my far away Nest responds to commands instead of my closer mini speaker. Even though I have changed sensitivity and settings to try ti fix. Even phone responds when I'm at home instead of mini speaker. I had been happy with all my speakers the last years until now. Considering disonnecting most or other solution.

ray3
Community Member

I'm still experiencing this too 😞

AJZ
Community Member

I have been dealing with this problem as well. GOOGLE NEEDS TO DEAL WITH THIS ASAP!

Mikejj34
Community Member

I had the same issue and after about 2 weeks went back to Tp-Link never buying Google **bleep** again.

Kevman
Community Member

Having the same issue, Random need to power cycle my system while trying to do my job or even the few times I get to kick back.  

GOOGLE, where is the fix???  

Deke207
Community Member

Same problem here, no internet for 5-10 mins, 3 to 10 times a day! I kept blaming it on my ISP. This is very problematic for my work. I lost internet during 2 different client calls today! Why is Google unable to fix this issue?

JWick
Community Member

+1 Google WiFi w/ 3 points total. I have found mine offline several times in the past few months. They usually only go offline for a few minutes at most, usually less than a minute. The one point I notice it with the most has a 65" Sony Bravia UHD LED hardwired to it

mlsyring
Community Member

Same problem! I thought it was just our large house, but glad others are having the issue (that comes across crass, sorry!).

Hopefully Google will fix this, but I'm not holding out hope... 

Master117
Community Member

Having same issue. Setup was perfect for about 3 years then last week it has taken a complete dive. Spent over 5 hours with Google Nest support.. Keep telling me they are "monitoring" my router performance but nothing ever happens. I was "escalated" to a more technical team today.. We shall see what happens with that. Fun fact, did you all know that Google Nest is its own thing? Not a part of Google Wifi or Google Fiber.... You get a whole different "support" team. I guess I thought when I purchased a Google product related to internet/wifi that it was all same same.....NOPE!

GuyHarrison
Community Member

We too have been having the same problem. We run a 3 point google mesh network to support our three Google hubs and four chrome-cast devices.

We changed our ISP, updated the switch and router, but still had dropouts several times a day. I tried resetting devices, but still no joy. 

We reguarly have connectivity issues, but at the same time our Starlink connection has great connectivity and speeds. 

It's very frustrating, and I'm getting pressure from the family to get rid of the Google gear and find another replacement such as Alexa.

Mf3d3
Community Member

I had this happening with 1 main GWifi and 4 additional Points. Mine was NOT resolved via a Reset to factory nor reboot of everything. It was only when I replaced my Motorola cable modem and that GWifi went back to normal. I happen to switch to a Linksys but don't think the brand mattered. It might be a mismatch between cable modem firmware and GWifi firmware oddities. Most don't look too see if the cable modem was updated. What I noticed was GWifi Points still thought they were online, but they weren't, which is what led me to look into the cable modem as the culprit. In case it helps I'm currently using firmware version 13099.118.19 on the GWifi Points

alexander9306
Community Member

I've been having this problem for months now and the only solution is to hard reset the Nest router manually, sometimes multiple times, it is crazy. I thought this was the best  Wifi 5 Router available but does that matter when the router don't work. I'm very annoyed and thinking what to buy next but ot wont be google. 

NXPromethius
Community Member

Adding my name to the thread. Been happening since November and thought it was an issue with my ISP who have been tearing their hair out trying to sort it. Only came across this thread today. Had these APs for years with no issue.

todd222222
Community Member

I've been feeling with this since October, so annoying

eross4881
Community Member

I have been having this problem since spring of 2020, I even replaced the whole system thinking it was defective and it continues to happen.ive worked with my ISP to rule them out, had all new wiring installed outside and inside the house and the drops still happen randomly. Will say connected to wifi but not passing internet. Customer service has no clue how to address the issues aside from asking the same scripted questions such as, "have you rebooted your modem?", and "Try factory resetting the device" (14 factory resets since July 2021 alone, still no improvement). You would think for the amount we bought these devices for we'd get a consistently productive and useful mesh router WiFi system. Hoping they find a fix soon, it's frustrating having to constantly restart the nest wifi router so often. 

Sidnishous
Community Member

What is the latest update with this issue?  It's unacceptable that this issue has been known for so long and there is still no fix.  Is Google really interested in fixing this problem?  It doesn't seem like a priority.  I would expect this would be a P0 issue, but has been going on for months without a fix or any visibility into when a fix might be available.  It is clearly a common problem that many people are having including myself.  Very disappointed in Google!

jfranzet
Community Member

Throwing my name in the hat, found this thread after getting fed up with 4 to 5 disconnects per day now on Nest Wifi . I have 4 pucks total, my internet connection is rock solid. Points just all go offline for about 5 minutes and then come back on. I've had this system for years with no issues until past month or so. It's getting ridiculous. Thank goodness I hard wired my work computer or I couldn't work from home with this crappy bug that Google is not doing anything to fix! 

What is the next best alternative for a mesh wifi system? Looking for a company who cares about their customers when things break.

ekstrdr
Community Member

Just today I thought my MacBook was really messed up with malware. It kept not connecting to the scanner and load times were very intermittent. I rebooted it several times. Now reading this, I think the computer is OK. Also ran the mesh rest and it said that two devices were off line and then mysteriously were back on. I agree - a rollback would be great to get to where it worked. When a fix is determined, then push out an update.

imjeeves
Community Member

So quick update.

I have started the process of getting a refund for these things. It's been over 15 days so I can't do it automatically through Google, but it's only been like 3 months (maybe) that I've had these, so I'm demanding a refund for them since they haven't been working. I'm looking to replace then with Orbi router and APs

That being said, I did two things a couple days ago. 1) I disabled the wifi antenna on my AT&T router/modem. 2) I did a network reset via the Google Home app. Since then, the mesh has seemed pretty stable and both points are at "great connection."

Unfortunately, I just can't trust these things anymore, so I will continue with my migration to a different router/ap. 

evinecz
Community Member

Same issue for almost 2 months. Keeps going offline. I thought I had a defective add on point. Replaced it with a new one and issue still persist.

Travis2
Community Member

I'm having the exact same problem no half my cameras are off line I cannot get them working again