cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest wifi randomly going offline

Sydtriman
Community Member

For the past week my Google nest Wi-Fi go randomly off-line. There have been absolutely no other changes in my network or environment that could cause this. I’ve had no issues prior to this. 

I can see a couple of posts in the forum of a similar vein, has anybody been able to solve this issue? Is it a firmware problem?

I’ve done a full factory reset which hasn’t helped, and in fact seems to have made it worse. 

Setup: Router (firmware 13729.57.27) and 2 points (firmware 1.54.267572)

any ideas?

1,464 REPLIES 1,464

everything was buffering, wpa2, Google has known about this for some time now, other commenters are saying Google got sued and can’t fix this? Dunno if this is illegit, I scraped my router with 2 nodes, just now finished installing 3 plume “pucks”. I love it!!!

bknyjp
Community Member

Network Connectivity Questions:

1. How long did the WiFi network work properly before encountering connectivity issues? 10 MONTHS

2. How did you discover that the network was having connectivity issues? DEVICES KEPT LOSING CONNECTIVITY.

Did any of the WiFi points give audible errors, such as:

• “I can't reach the internet right now. Check your modem or router connection and try again. -NO

• “I can't connect to the Wi-Fi network. You might want to check the connection settings in the Google Home app” -NO

• Something else? (Please note the error message, or how the issue was discovered) -NO

WiFi Setup Questions:

1. What is your WiFi setup? (single router or multiple access points - how many?) NEST ROUTER AND 3 PUCKS

2. What is the location of the affected WiFi point in relation to other WiFi Access Points/Routers? (please note distance, in same/different room, same/different floor, any major obstructions/interference like walls, floors, cabinets, appliances etc?) ALL POINTS AND DEVICES ARE AFFECTED. DEVICES DROP WHEN IN THE SAME ROOM AS A PUCK.

3. Did you change yourWiFi setup recently / was it was working fine before / what did they use before and what did they swap to? NOTHING CHANGED

If you know any of this info, please provide it as well:

• Router brand (make and model) ARRIS CM8200

• Router security, such as WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc - DEFAULT

• Router software version - LATEST VERSION

• What's the configuration of the network? Are you using a mesh network, WiFi repeaters etc? - IM USING GOOGLE NEST WIFI WITH 3 PUCKS

freedom1776
Community Member

I've recently started having this issue and I think I've isolated it down to if I have an ethernet cord plugged into the extra port, going to an unmanaged switch, my router will drop the connection.  So far leaving the extra port empty I haven't had any drops.  That doesn't make any sense to me, but that appears to be the issue.

Thats just a coincidence. Me and a lot of others have nothing at all plugged into the other ports on our units and have the issues. 

Ah ok gotcha, well I hope mine doesn't follow down that path then.

I think that's just a coincidence. I have an unmanaged switch connected to the main router, which then connects up to my patch panel to deliver Ethernet to every room in my house. 3 of my 4 points are then hardwired to this switch, so they use the Ethernet network as the mesh backbone. Two of my rooms have their own switches to connect up multiple devices and then uplink to the switch connected to the router. 

As I said in my other post, while occasionally one of my points goes offline, the Ethernet and Wi-Fi continues working. My wireless devices simply fail over to another point nearby. The other points continue to work and my router continuous to route Wi-Fi and Ethernet traffic. 

Yeah my router point has been completely dropping offline.  And from my testing so far it appears to happen when connected to the switch, which again makes absolutely no sense to me.  But I left it unplugged last night and my wi-fi didn't drop(but has been every night for the last week),  this morning I plugged into the extra port and my router dropped immediatly.  Unplugged and everything regained connection.  Strangest thing I've ever encountered. 

You may have a faulty switch or faulty cable.

Yeah I'll be testing that this weekend, it's been plugged in for almost a year and no issues, so odd to have issues all of a sudden.

Yeah, I've had CAT5 cables give out all of a sudden. Actually had sudden packet loss not too long ago and my ISP did a wire test showing issues. My router is connected via Ethernet directly to the ISP equipment in the utility room of my building. I don't have a modem or anything in between. They were gonna send out a tech, but on a hunch I replaced the CAT5 connecting my router to the wall and lo and behold, issue fixed. That cable had been there for years and never touched. Just simply went bad. 

UPDATE: After testing all my Ethernet cables, one of them was in fact bad.  After ensuring this cable wasn't being plugged in I have had no more issues.

I introduced an unmanaged switch after the Google Wi-Fi and started to experience the same problem. 

lookiny to move to a different Wi-Fi solution. Super frustrating. 

h3nr0
Community Member

1. How long did the WiFi network work properly before encountering connectivity issues?

Also just started experiencing this issue more and more frequently.  We have been using the unit(s) in our mesh network for several months prior.  
  2. How did you discover that the network was having connectivity issues? 
    Noticed that in some areas of the house we did not loose Internet and upon closer inspection running the Test Mesh function we noticed that a node was being marked as Offline. 

• “I can't reach the internet right now. Check your modem or router connection and try again.

• “I can't connect to the Wi-Fi network. You might want to check the connection settings in the Google Home app”

• Something else? (Please note the error message, or how the issue was discovered)No, it was examination using the Wifi App on mobile

WiFi Setup Questions:

1. What is your WiFi setup? (single router or multiple access points - how many?)
    2 access points

2. What is the location of the affected WiFi point in relation to other WiFi Access Points/Routers? (please note distance, in same/different room, same/different floor, any major obstructions/interference like walls, floors, cabinets, appliances etc?)
    2 rooms away.  Both units are located on shelves about eye level.  

3. Did you change yourWiFi setup recently / was it was working fine before / what did they use before and what did they swap to? 
    No, recent changes to Wifi.  

• Router brand (make and model)

• Router security, such as WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc

• Router software version

• What's the configuration of the network? Are you using a mesh network, WiFi repeaters etc?
    No repeatears.  Using Google Wifi units.  

zunari
Community Member

I'm also having the exactly the same issue and adding my answers to the list

1. How long did the WiFi network work properly before encountering connectivity issues?

1. usually for several hours works fine, and then goes off line at random timing

• “I can't reach the internet right now. Check your modem or router connection and try again.

• No
  • “I can't connect to the Wi-Fi network. You might want to check the connection settings in the Google Home app”

• No
  • Something else? (Please note the error message, or how the issue was discovered)

• One of your wifi point device seems off line. Please check if cable is properly connected (although cable is properly connected and the status light shows it is in good status)

WiFi Setup Questions:

1. What is your WiFi setup? (single router or multiple access points - how many?)

1. multiple. 1 main and 2 satellites
  2. What is the location of the affected WiFi point in relation to other WiFi Access Points/Routers? (please note distance, in same/different room, same/different floor, any major obstructions/interference like walls, floors, cabinets, appliances etc?)

1. all in different rooms. 1 and 2 are in different floors
  3. Did you change yourWiFi setup recently / was it was working fine before / what did they use before and what did they swap to? 

1. No

• Google Wifi AC-1304

• WPA2

• What's the configuration of the network? Are you using a mesh network, WiFi repeaters etc?

• mesh network

Longneck
Community Member

There is no fix and there won’t be a fix, Google isn’t going to waste money on “legacy” devices. Period. Move on, get a new system like a large majority here already has. Mine is collecting dust. 

Williamg127
Community Member

I also have been having issues with this, and now it's gotten to the point where my internet is down several times a day. 

Hey, everyone.

We're still discussing this internally and testing situations and different factors. I have a series of questions and things to check with your intermittent connections. I realize some of this has been answered or checked, but as we're gathering very specific info right now, it would really help us move things along. Thanks so much for your input.

1. How long did the WiFi network work properly before encountering connectivity issues? 12 months 

2. How did you discover that the network was having connectivity issues?  Devices keep dropping internet 

yes the can't connect to the internet

• Something else? (Please note the error message, or how the issue was discovered)

WiFi Setup Questions:

1. What is your WiFi setup? (single router or multiple access points - how many?) Nest and 1 point 

2. What is the location of the affected WiFi point in relation to other WiFi Access Points/Routers? (please note distance, in same/different room, same/different floor, any major obstructions/interference like walls, floors, cabinets, appliances etc?) Same floor, 30 ft apart, just in different sides of the house. 

3. Did you change yourWiFi setup recently / was it was working fine before / what did they use before and what did they swap to? No

• Router brand (make and model) Nest wifi H2D

• Router software version 13729.57.27

• What's the configuration of the network? Are you using a mesh network, WiFi repeaters etc? Nest and mesh

Easily fixed. Unplug and toss the Google devices. Buy a Netgear or Asus mesh. Problem solved. 

MeshDC
Community Member

Jeff, was this problem ever fixed?  After about a year of perfect wifi, my Google point just went offline.  I chatted with Google Tech several times, and we tried several "fixes" that didn't work.  Then they shifted the interruption to my modem and internet provider. My modem and internet provider both say things are great on their end.   I have no issue with the router and my internet connection speed is always 250Mbps+.  It is just the point that keeps dropping out . Please tell me what is going on?

They are working on it....🤣

I'm sure a fix is imminent! They said that in September. And October. And November (right below here). And December. And January. And February. I'm sure we'll have a March, "We're working on it!" message soon.

Yes I think I'm going to look at other manufacturers this week.  It's pretty bad that internet connections not working are not a priority for an internet company

Longneck
Community Member

read comments starting sept. There is no fix and there won’t be a fix. Google got sued

hborda
Community Member

I'm having the same issue. It completely randon without any changes to the network. Only one specific point (out of the two) has the problem. The point turn off completely.

A few days.

A notification on the Google Home app saying that the failing point went offline.

No

No

No

WiFi Setup Questions:

One router with 2 access points

1 floor difference, 2 walls across

No

Google Nest Wifi (Model H2D)

WPA3

Mesh

sgrimes765
Community Member

I had the Google on hub and it worked great, reason for change, received email from Google that the on hub will not be supported by a certain date. This is truly a nightmare my security system won’t work. Nest is a disaster 

Roymicro
Community Member

Your useless stop lying and just say you don’t care about your customers satisfaction 

cboy
Community Member

WiFi Setup Questions:

Google Nest doesn't play nice with anything so internet -> Nest -> 1 additional access point

Everything worked rock star solid with Apple wifi gear (old), wanted faster speeds so upgraded to Google Nest = my mistake.

Distance is irrelevant since it is not 1 device that goes offline, but only 1 device that monitors the wifi connectivity that is reporting it.

Distance from Google Nest to Wifi device reporting interruptions? 20 inches

Nothing changed, this issue has occurred from day 1, with Google Nest.

• Router brand (make and model) Google Nest Model H2D

• Router security, such as WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc WPA3 disabled, UPnp disabled, IPv6 disabled

• Router software version 14150.376.32

• What's the configuration of the network? Are you using a mesh network, WiFi repeaters etc?  1 base + 1  wifi point

MESH test "everything looks good"

BASE speed test "blazing fast 889 Mbps down and 848 up

Lc0240
Community Member
  1. Amy fix to this? My wifi point had been going down constantly.

MattH34
Community Member

I’ve had some luck after calling them. We did several things including changing my DNS to a Google’s (8.8.8.8 , etc.), changing my Wi-Fi’s name to something without special characters, crew a new password, AND calling AT&T (my ISP) to change my modem to an IP Passthrough setup so that my ISP modem and my Google router weren’t competing against each other in a Double NAT situation. I also moved one point closer that had a bad connection. 

just call Google Wi-Fi support, tel them you don’t know what you’re doing but you’ve heard these words/terms. 

Lohmatiy
Community Member

The problem is still there. Got my first set of Nest Wifi with two points. Returned it because one of the points was going offline every once in a while. But the second set of Nest Wifi I purchased seems to have the same problem. It is the Access Point which is closest to the router and has the most devices connected to it (I believe).

Now to your questions:

- sometimes worked fine for days, sometimes I had to power cycle it couple times per day.

- I received notification from the Google Home App that one of the wifi points in ofline. I also noticed that my Nest Doorbell takes much longer to load the videos.

-- NO, I was not in the room at the moment, but my family was. I don't think there were any audible error messages. 

WiFi Setup Questions:

- T-Mobile 5G Home internet modem/Router, connected to Nest WiFi Router and two Access Points. 

-- Nest Router - 3rd Floor, North end of the house (Same place as T-Mobile Router/Modem)
    -- Nest WiFi Point - Second Floor, close to the middle (1 floor down from the router, open space)
    -- Nest WiFi Point - Ground Floor, North end of the house (2 floors down from the router, straigt vertical line)

-- I tried some changes with the first Nest Wifi set, but the second one (now in place) was working for a few days (I think a week) after the installation without any changes. 

-- T-Mobile 5g Home Internet (KVD21 by Arcadyan Technology Corporation)

-- WPA2/WPA3

- don't know the number, but the latest.

-- Only T-Mobile router and Nest WiFi Router with two access points.

mlt71
Community Member

6 months-ish?

1. How did you discover that the network was having connectivity issues? 

Message via the app that this one particular point was offline - this point is the only point that we have issue with - it's the newest one. Everything is is the old generation points/hardware and we never have issues with those - it's just this new point that we added to our nest.

• “I can't reach the internet right now. Check your modem or router connection and try again. no

• “I can't connect to the Wi-Fi network. You might want to check the connection settings in the Google Home app” no

• Something else? (Please note the error message, or how the issue was discovered) point offline via the app - we don't have the sound on

WiFi Setup Questions:

1. What is your WiFi setup? (single router or multiple access points - how many?) multiple point - 1 Router - 3 points

2. What is the location of the affected WiFi point in relation to other WiFi Access Points/Routers? (please note distance, in same/different room, same/different floor, any major obstructions/interference like walls, floors, cabinets, appliances etc?) We have the router downstairs, 3 points upstairs. The point giving us issues is in an upstairs hallway. It is about 100 feet from another point located in a bedroom - the other point is located in the master bedroom on the other side of the wall from this point about 200 feet away.

3. Did you change yourWiFi setup recently / was it was working fine before / what did they use before and what did they swap to? We changed it about a year ago - added this point to it. It worked fine before - just had some slow down issues - had some dead zones upstairs - which is why we added this point.

• Router brand (make and model) - the whole set is google

• What's the configuration of the network? Are you using a mesh network, WiFi repeaters etc? mesh, fiber straight to home

Jeff
Community Specialist
Community Specialist

Hey, everyone.

A few people have asked if there's any new info, and as of right now, there's nothing new to share. Yes, it's still being worked on, but fixes can take a while to roll out as we need to ensure the quality of the release and thoroughly test things. Again, I'm sorry that it's been frustrating and I know a lot of you have been waiting for a while now. Thanks for hanging in there on this.

Longneck
Community Member

hey Jeff, why not just tell the truth, there is nothing being done by Google or anyone else to address this issue.  Posting comments that “they” are “still” looking into this is  just BS!  The people commenting here are not idiots and are fed up. Shame on Google, I fully expect now to be blocked from commenting further . Dissenting voice and all. So just stop lying.

You think too highly of yourself. No one is going to block you. Google does not care. So why would they bother to try to silence you? They would only bother if they actually cared what was thought. It is only obvious by their inaction that they don't care what we think. This is why I started to divest myself of my google ecosystem. Started with Orbi to replace my Google/Nest WiFi, then my thermostat went and instead of the Nest that I planned to upgrade to, I got Ecobee. Maybe its time to look at Alexa speakers and displays. Google is screwing the pooch bog time with this inaction. 

Daniele1
Community Member

Hi Jeff, in the last 2 days  I have received more than 30 email informing me that my nest camera is offline .  I am thinking to replace my nest camera with others brands more reliable

Jeff
Community Specialist
Community Specialist

For everyone else jumping in, I'm sorry for the frustration you're all seeing as well. I'm still waiting to learn more on this and I'm hoping that happens soon. Thanks for sharing your experiences as all the information me can gather is helpful.

Jeff
Community Specialist
Community Specialist

Hey, BSkeats1.

I totally understand why you're frustrated. I would be too if it was my network having the same issues. Yes, I know support is aware and I have seen discussions going on about the issue. Unfortunately I haven't seen anything in regards to a fix as of yet. Hopefully that comes down the line soon. I know it's been a pretty long process to this point.

Liam01
Community Member

Hi Jeff,

I've been reading about Google Nest Wifi users experiencing problems with these devices. Apparently, they randomly quit working? Any idea if this problem has been addressed?

Much thanks!

Eric Stormer

ughman
Community Member

Liam,

Yes, The system is an unreliable POS that has random slowdown and other issues. For me it was unuseable to work from home.

I have found a solution though after contacting Google and following all the advice and suggestions on various forum. 

Luckily for me I just purchased the system. So my solution was to carefully put it back in the box and exchange is for something that works. I now have a NetGear Orbi system that works and has a much better user interface with more options.

It has been addressed if you count the very polite Google rep coming on to this forum every month for the last 6 months to tell everyone that Google is aware of the issue and is looking into it. 

If you mean addressed as they have fixed it? Yeah, not so much. 

Jeff
Community Specialist
Community Specialist

Hey, TheGusMan.

Thanks for sharing your experience with support. I'm happy to hear that you're seeing some improvement. Hopefully that stays stable for you.

For the others still seeing issues, support is always a good option and you can contact them here: https://bit.ly/3o1aRK5

As always, I'll be updating the thread if I learn more in regards to a fix.

Thanks.

Ontheverge
Community Member

The way this thread posts and doesn't filter by date is so annoying 

Yes absolutely still happening.... I keep having nodes drop off..... Reset.... Might come back on..... Others go....

Mine might be interference, but it worked amazing for about a month and then has been brutal as of yesterday again!