cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest wifi randomly going offline

Sydtriman
Community Member

For the past week my Google nest Wi-Fi go randomly off-line. There have been absolutely no other changes in my network or environment that could cause this. I’ve had no issues prior to this. 

I can see a couple of posts in the forum of a similar vein, has anybody been able to solve this issue? Is it a firmware problem?

I’ve done a full factory reset which hasn’t helped, and in fact seems to have made it worse. 

Setup: Router (firmware 13729.57.27) and 2 points (firmware 1.54.267572)

any ideas?

1,464 REPLIES 1,464

brianlovelace
Community Member

Can't believe over a year later this is still an issue. 

Daily dropouts with my Google Nest WiFi router putting all devices not hard-wired offline.

JoeyJo
Community Member

I can confirm I am experiencing the same issue as everyone else on here for MONTHS now. Restarting the modem seems to be temporary fix to have it run at HALF the speed of wired. 

Any solutions?

JRWriter
Community Member

i too bit the bullet, and went with Eeros (BUT BOUGHT FROM COSTCO, INCASE I NEEDED TO RETURN THEM!)

Had it for months, only needed to restart twice. No major issues compared to the Google Nest gen 2s. 

debolte
Community Member

was a fix ever identified... same problem as others... had issues with internet connectivity through Google Nest Router... swapped to other router... left it a few months... factory reset the Google Nest Router & tried again... still wont connect to the internet... this is pretty poor...

jkouns
Community Member

History is as others described. No fix is actually coming.

JRWriter
Community Member

New version was announced. Please note the "Nest Wifi Pro isn’t compatible with previous generations of Nest or Google Wifi devices."

ThomasL
Community Member

I completely agree and it’s not like they just created this new Wi-Fi overnight. They had never actually planned to fix the old product. Shame on google!

richwawronowicz
Community Member

Looks like Google is behind again, and they are just releasing the new product!

"The new Echo Dot doesn't look any different from the old version, but it's packing some significant upgrades under the hood. The $50 speaker can be used as a Wi-Fi range extender for compatible Eero setups — a big get, considering discrete Eero 6 extenders retail for $79 apiece. The Dot isn't quite as effective as a dedicated Eero extender — the speaker can purportedly cover 1,000 square feet in Wi-Fi, while an extender can manage 1,500 — but even so, the new functionality represents a tremendous added value for households with Eero routers. What's more, this functionality is coming to existing fourth-gen Echo and Echo Dot speakers soon through a software update."

So when are my nest products going to act as points?

I'd settle for just my existing points working as they should. Really unfortunate that Google has treated this issue as such. My home is mostly on the Google ecosystem. If the Central point of that is having issues, it causes everything to have issues. 

Ydyhsuusuuiiiii
Community Member

A year later and this hasn't been fixed?! Started happening to me a month ago. I have a single access point that goes offline every few days for no reason. Has anyone had any luck with replacing a single unit?

Yes! Replaced mine with a Netgear. Zero issues in 10+ months. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Over the past several months I've had the same issue. System would completely go offline then back on after a few minutes, almost always during a work video call. 

Next wifi router, point, and a Google WiFi

Danny42
Community Member

Just wanted to a post an alert to anyone having a similar problem - I recommend contacting Google ASAP and letting them know so that you can claim under warranty as I let the problem drag on and found Google would not replace my unit under warranty because it had expired by the time I contacted them (the issues started while within warranty).  The constant dropping out seemed like a software issue so I did not contact Google, but then the unit just stopped working completely.  Best if you get your units replaced ASAP before waiting for complete failure - do not assume it is a software issue.

Good advice but they put you through so many different checks that the warranty is long over.

I believe that for a deficient product consumer protection applies beyond warranty. I'm making my case to Google and we'll see but next stop small claims court . I think class action might be warranted but I'm no lawyer and that would take years. But I am determined Google will compensate for the all the trouble and wasted time in addition to refunding for the hardware. Also my senator has gone after Google before...

scooter
Community Member

One my access points has no gone "offline" randomly a couple of times now. I realise it's not a lot, but there should be no reason why. No change to the ISP, Internet connection details etc.

Have had a stable connection for at least a few months, prior to that we had issues with our FTTN feed in, which was upgraded to FTTP. Doubt there was any connection to the issue I am experiencing now.

jkouns
Community Member

It only gets worse........  no fix from Google and they just ignore it by providing horrible troubleshooting steps over and over.  I was determined to wait it out for a real software fix, as Google broke it..... but no help is coming here. 

NotherMan
Community Member

I've had multiple calls with Google support. Each call was a different attempt to trouble shoot a single thing. Everything from changing the i.p. to 8.8.8.8, resetting the name and password to no special characters were used, moving the 2nd device to less than 15' away, and most recently doing a full factory reset while on the phone with them. None of this worked of course. So the most recent call I was given 2 options: talk to my internet provider to fix it or escalate it to a higher level in Google. I opted for the escalation which seemed to have offended support and that's when I pointed out that the SB8200 isn't rented and was purchased the same time as the Google nest WiFi devices, also the hardiness I have going from Google nest wifi to my TV have never had an issue so that all but eliminates the modern. Now I have to wait 24 hours for a support call I know I won't get because they never call me back when they say they will

scober
Community Member

Happening to me - two of the points have started going offline every couple of days.

Network Connectivity Questions:

1. How long did the WiFi network work properly before encountering connectivity issues?
    1 yr

2. How did you discover that the network was having connectivity issues? 
    Dropped WiFi connection 

Did any of the WiFi points give audible errors, such as:
No

WiFi Setup Questions:

1. What is your WiFi setup? (single router or multiple access points - how many?)
    Nest Router with three points

2. What is the location of the affected WiFi point in relation to other WiFi Access Points/Routers? (please note distance, in same/different room, same/different floor, any major obstructions/interference like walls, floors, cabinets, appliances etc?)
    Router in basement family room, point 1 in office app30 feet away multiple walls between, point 2 in upstairs bedroom app. 60' and up 10 feet from router, Point 3 in garage, app. 70feet and up 10' from router. Points 1 and 2 always show good connection. Point 3 shows medium connection. Points 2 ans 3 consistenly go offline every couple of days.

3. Did you change yourWiFi setup recently / was it was working fine before / what did they use before and what did they swap to? 
    No change

If you know any of this info, please provide it as well:

• Router brand (make and model)
    Nest Wifi Router Model H2D

• Router security, such as WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc
    WPA2

• Router software version

• What's the configuration of the network? Are you using a mesh network, WiFi repeaters etc? 
    Mesh network with 1 router and 3 points

Jasonrr
Community Member

Smashing some likes on these posts, in an attempt to get attention from Google folks. There is CLEARLY something happening here. 

NotherMan
Community Member

After various incremental troubleshooting steps/phone calls with Google they requested I call my service provider to reprovision the signal. It worked for about an hour so now they're supposed to escalate my situation. I'm tired of making these calls, I'm angry that I spent a few hundred on garbage. I'm tired of being told they'll call me back but don't. I want this fixed or my money back, a year of this is more than anyone should deal with

Smashing some likes on these posts, in an attempt to get attention from Google folks. There is CLEARLY something happening here. 

p_giguere1
Community Member

I contacted Google support, not hoping for a fix, but to increase visibility on this issue. They seemed to be unaware of the problem when I linked to this thread. After a few unsuccessful troubleshooting steps, they ended up offering me hardware replacement, which I did not end up doing because it's clearly not going to fix the issue.

TomGAMA
Community Member

I was having issues back in the spring and did a full network reset. I ran Ethernet cables directly to all of my mesh points. Everything is hard wired with CAT-7 cabling. They worked flawlessly all summer. Started dropping out several times a day last Saturday.

I've been in contact with google and received the same run around.  They had no idea there was a problem. Then they escalated the case. Then I heard nothing back.

I have been trying to do some experimenting. The one thing I noticed was the internet was dropping out whenever my Nest Thermostats were triggering the furnace to run. It may be a coincidence, but I did some testing when everything was up and running correctly. I turned the heat up, the furnace kicked on, and the network dropped off. We have 3 thermostats. It does not matter which one turns on. When they do, the network is dropping out most of the time.

Jasonrr
Community Member

Interesting. Do you have any newer model AP's added to the network by chance? Think I've traced down my issue to two, new model AP's added, which I think are clashing with the older model APs. But your use-case and mine would be completely different. 

How have you been in touch btw? I'd like to add my case on as well. This is impacting my business at this point. 

Nothing really new. I have worked through google "support" who eventually sent me a new hub. That was when I was annoyed because it was dropping every one or two weeks now it's at least twice PER DAY.

TomGAMA
Community Member

I have 4 new nest routers and 5 old google pods. I started through live chat. I've filled out their form and I've contacted them by email. The best I've received is the case has been escalated and someone would get back to me. That was 2 days ago.

i believe that you might be on to an issue. I also have a nest thermosat for part of the house and thinking back it seems that when that part of the house is being used (air conditioning (heat Pump)) kicking on is when I had the issues

TUR7L3
Community Member

Wonder if it is caused by a slight power fluctuation when the home's AC or heater is turning on. Could explain why a simple reboot would resolve the issue as well. 

Jasonrr
Community Member

Same here, starting a couple weeks ago. Any changes for you recently?

I threw Google in the trash and bought an eero mesh system, no issues at all

Mc5no4stp
Community Member

Add me to the list.  It is now multiple times per day the one or both points go offline. 

HL-brokenrobot
Community Member

After sporadic attempts to fix the issue for over a year, documented in other posts here, I junked my Google nest/Wifi system and replaced it with Netgear Orbi system. it's been 6 weeks so far and no dropouts. And that's without any of the special configurations Google made me do (DNS, Bridge Mode, etc etc).

Congrats! I did the same thing last December! Good news - ZERO outages and no amateur network engineer tasks required...

My Google system was dropping more than a dozen times a day. Tried all of "jeff's" fixes. No real long term fix. Filled out Melvin's form - and the suggestion I got was to go and reconfigure my Comcast router....uhhhh...no...the Linksys box that preceded my Google garbage didn't require that. The Netgear box I replace Google with didn't require that. My son's Asus didn't require that...

dresdner353
Community Member

I've started to get regular drop outs now several times a week. It started about 2 weeks ago. It can be brought back to life with reboots, sometimes several and obviously by a factory reset which is ridiculous. Prior to this I think I saw the issue maybe 2-3 times in total. Like too many before me, I know where this will end up and costing me the purchase of a new mesh system.

I did some analysis which would help if others can confirm:

• WiFi devices actually get an IP address and great signal during these outages
    Just no internet or ability to talk to/ping other devices in the network. Thats then not a WiFi issue, more a complete botch on the main router side

• Ethernet wired devices are not always affected
    The wired devices often appear to work fine, even talk to each other within the house. But sometimes they do experience the same total loss of Internet

• All devices, wired or wireless can still connect to http://testwifi.here/api/v1/status when this outage is in place
    They can even ping the same testwifi.here or router IP. But cannot ping any other IP of any device. That is not a wifi or mesh outage. Its a LAN/WAN routing problem.

• The status details from the API call above shows that the router is getting a connection to the Internet
    In my case, its using a modem-mode router and has a public IP and says it is online. I've been able to test with a laptop direct to the bband modem that its up and online each time (as many others have confirmed time and time again).

Example of what I get from a laptop on WiFi during these outages. Its calling http://testwifi.here/api/v1/status via browser.. (public IP obfuscated). The fact I get a response means the WiFi device has a network connection to the router. 

{
   "dns": {
      "mode": "automatic",
      "servers": [  ]
   },
   "setupState": "GWIFI_OOBE_COMPLETE",
   "software": {
      "blockingUpdate": 0,
      "softwareVersion": "14150.376.32",
      "updateChannel": "stable-channel",
      "updateNewVersion": "0.0.0.0",
      "updateProgress": 0.0,
      "updateRequired": false,
      "updateStatus": "checking"
   },
   "system": {
      "countryCode": "us",
      "groupRole": "root",
      "hardwareId": "MISTRAL D2B-A2A-C3Q-I3H",
      "lan0Link": true,
      "ledAnimation": "CONNECTED",
      "ledIntensity": 0,
      "modelId": "MISTRAL",
      "oobeDetailedStatus": "OOBE_COMPLETE",
      "uptime": 300753
   },
   "vorlonInfo": {
      "migrationMode": "voobed"
   },
   "wan": {
      "captivePortal": false,
      "ethernetLink": true,
      "gatewayIpAddress": "176.xx.xx.xx",
      "invalidCredentials": false,
      "ipAddress": true,
      "ipMethod": "dhcp",
      "ipPrefixLength": 24,
      "leaseDurationSeconds": 259200,
      "localIpAddress": "176.xx.xx.xx",
      "nameServers": [  ],
      "online": true,
      "pppoeDetected": false,
      "vlanScanAttemptCount": 0,
      "vlanScanComplete": true
   }
}

This then points to the mesh and WiFi being fine and that the issue lies more on the main router getting itself into a state where it stops allowing just WiFi clients talk to each other or the Internet or both WiFi and wired clients.

Sundar recently advised employees to start working more efficiently. The Nest people actually just need to start working and stop acting like their mothers make them go to work every day.

gengeset
Community Member

Welp this is still happening for me as well. All firmware up-to-date. Wifi points are on different floors, so not too close together. Please tell me there is an actual fix coming

NotherMan
Community Member

Dealt with this issue since I bought the mesh back in January 2022. I've been steadily working with support for the past couple of months which consists with them telling me to try a different thing each time I talk to them with no improvement. I then called best but who told me since I didn't buy their extended warranty they can't help me BUT the mesh is still under the Google 1 year warranty so I decided to initiate that which to no surprise they made a challenge. At the same time a friend loaned me his extra mesh router and told me to give it a try since we both agreed it seems to be a hardware issue with my current one.

And we were right! His mesh router doesn't have a single issue, as I wait for my mesh replacement the loaner mesh has been going strong without a single issue.

So folks, if you're still in the one year window I recommend you do the same thing, get that replacement!

At this point I'm giving up.  I'm returning these to Costco (thankfully I bought them there) and getting the new nest wifi pro from Costco.  If that sucks, I can just return them there too. Problem solved. 

HL-brokenrobot
Community Member

I claimed a full refund on my system plus compensation from Google. Predictably, they denied the claim. Their response is useful because it confirms:

1. If you do not buy direct from Google they may deny any refunds because they are from and "unauthorized seller"
  2. They won't stand by their hardware if it's beyond the warranty period (even if bought direct from Google)
  3. They simply refuse to own any problems their defective hardware has caused their customers.

If, like me, you reach this site because you are looking for solutions, you may already have been strung along beyond the time when Google feels obligated to refund you. I remain hopeful that they are on the wrong side of consumer protection law, so I'm exploring small claims court and state business complaints.

toadicusrex
Community Member

I have been looking at the ads for the new Nest Wifi Pro (6E) blah blah blah... and I haven't replaced my Nest system.  I have six points... well, two routers and four points, but one of the routers is acting like a point.  It's a sizeable investment.  So Google is giving me 30% off if I upgrade to the new Nest Pro?  

Frankly... what guarantees do I have that the new Nest Pro is going to work?  I've been fighting this stupid issue for well over a year, and I feel like Google has given Nest users the cold shoulder on this... I am personally pretty bitter about it now as it's caused an incredible amount of headache for me as my business runs out of my home.  I don't know if I'm willing to give Google another shot here for a mere 30% off - Google is asking me to drop another $600 for another six devices with the discount.  That seems steep considering their history.

Has anyone done this?  Is it worth it?  I'm not even convinced I'm willing to give them a shot again, I might be not be able to muscle myself past the principle of the thing. 

30%, google?  Really?  I'm sorry... I think we deserve more of an apology.