cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Scheduled network restart

nickp001
Community Member

Is there a way to schedule a Nest WiFi network restart?  I know I can use a smart plug and schedule an off/on, but I'd rather use a native method if at all possible.

269 REPLIES 269

Only on reboot. Super annoying. I had actually talked my landlord into getting the Google mesh and she did. Shes self admittedly inept with technology so I did all the setup and luckily I have the home app on my phone so I can reset it myself when needed without having to bother her but man it's frustrating. If I had seen this thread I never would have recommended Google. Can't believe the auto reboot isn't an option. Would love to just set it for 3am and forget about it.

Thanks for letting me know.  I was all in and now I want to be all out.  I wonder if we could get a smart plug and have that turn off every night at a certain time and back on 5 minutes later...

Others have gotten a digital timer with battery backup for memory retention in case of power loss. Should be $15 at Amazon. Set to power off for 1 min. Each day or so. Crappy solution. I'm selling mine. Already got a wifi6 to link router for my smaller 900 sq. Ft place and have 3-5 times speed, rock solid. Will need extenders for my other house. Never nest again for wifi

Not sure if you saw this recommendation way back, but it still works for me.  Running a speed test through the home app clears up whatever the issue is in the same way a full restart does.  It's a pain that it needs to be done, but vastly easier and less disruptive than a full restart.  I've been doing this for months now.  

That's awesome, thanks for the info!  I can do that while on a call.  Appreciate the tip!

vldr
Community Member

I had been doing that for about 2 months until accidentally the issue disappeared and doesn’t come back for about 2 weeks now. Not sure if there was any firmware update.

This workaround still working for me also.

which work around? Set the customize DNS or run the speed test?

NRHTX2006
Community Member

Hi @JG32 Did this solve the issue for you?

yes, daily reboot and preferred activities unchecked did temporarily solved the problem.

S_D
Community Member

Hey JG, how did this custom setting work for you? Looks like it may be the only solution on this thread if it worked?

Just now started getting the same slowdown issue and like everyone else reboot resolves so there is definitely something pushed in an update or something to the device. Will try to see if it is external from a wireshark capture 

I had one a few days ago so I think updates are rolling out and it works things.

Jagpa23
Community Member

Borks 

Trussel
Community Member

I came here looking for a resolution for this exact problem. It was working fine until I started getting adverts for the newer WIFI 6 model, almost as a bug introduced to incentivize upgrading.

More context from the tools I run. The routing device will report full internet speed but the mesh test shows weak connection. Wifiman shows reduced device speed and high latency spikes (from 8-32 ms to over 1500 ms).

Without knowing the specific internals of the router, the behavior is consistent with a network buffer overflow. The more activity we have on the network, the faster the performance degrades that can only be resolved via a network reboot. It doesn't require a modem reboot, so it is solely on the nest mesh wifi devices.

ShellDude
Community Member

same problem here... moved my home network to nest wifi (2 routers and 2 points) and I'm having reboot everything every 48 to 72 hours.

MWB1
Community Member

Just saw this,,  we upgraded from Google Fiber to chromecast with one router and 1 access point on Monday.   After 48 hours and calling customer service have had to restart already.  AM very frustrated as this occurred hours after taking out of the box install.

Eraser
Community Member

If I were you I'd return it ASAP.

Good luck to you either way 

MWB1
Community Member

An update,, reached a person at customer service,  she took the time to understand.   When tested the fiber jack it was not showing as validated (??), it is not showing as operational (??).  The way I understood,, a service tech has to come out to validate it.   

CedricCL
Community Member

+1 need this feature.

It worked fine for 2 days and then it passsed from a super high speedy FTTH to 10m down and allmost no upload.

Only thé reboot fixed it

PeterBak
Community Member

I have the same issue.. all devices lose internet connection, and I have to restart the router to get it working again. It is almost every day, and I have had the issue since I first put up the nest wifi system. Didn't have any issues with my old Netgear Orbi, so I have kind of ruled out the modem on the wall I think.

Ddl
Community Member

Surprisingly seeing many people experience same problem here. The connection drops completely for some devices when others are just fine. Very annoying 😒.  I am wondering if other brands could do better. If google can't have a solution to stop its happening at least provide a way to schedule the reboot please.

THolt
Community Member

Has there been any updates on this problem? I have to reboot mine every 48 hours. Why not just make a reboot schedule possible? Smart switchs won't work because when your internet get cut it will not be able to turn itself back on.

Torotoro
Community Member

Same issue, mine goes about a week until wifi is dead slow bordering on unusable. Reboot fixes it immediately.

cynops
Community Member

I’m having the same issue. After a few days I realize that my Wi-Fi is slow again, check the Speedtest in the Google Home ap and it shows about 10mbps direct from the router. Check the speed test on the modem to which it is wired (att smart home manager) and it shows close to 1gbps. I restart the Nest wifi and then everything is back close to 1gbps again.

Snow
Community Member

Experiencing exactly the same problem. It's been happening since September.  I found this thread by searching if I could automate the system restarts.  Devices drop offline and come back up sporadically.  Device speed gets so slow they become unusable.  Chromecast will drop from the network "Check your connection" until physically reset.  Music groups literally crash the network.  If I reboot the main router?  Perfect again, usually for around a day before it slowly starts to degrade in quality again.

clansley
Community Member

I am also experiencing a degrade of the system. I have random devices that can't obtain a IP address from DHCP - I figured this out since providing a fixed IP to the device solves the problem. Rebooting the network solves the problem for a few days.
I also wish for this problem to be resolved OR for some way to automatically restart the network each day at 2am.

mesilverman
Community Member

We've been running into this problem as well. I wish I knew about it before I invested. Our biggest problem is that it's how we monitor our home's temperature and security when away. Being locked out of the wifi regularly is not an insignificant problem.

I was going to connect it to automated timer which is an unfortunate investment on its own.  Sure, it's not expensive, but I shouldn't need to do it.  Seems like it could be a simple application add so that I could set it to reboot at a certain time every few nights. 

Until they fix this, I can't fully recommend the system.

We also have an Orbi system which is spectacular and a Velop system which is ok.  Neither of them have this problem.

Ddl
Community Member

Thank you @mesilverman for recommending Orbi (Netgear). I read about their products and wonder if you know what model we should consider. Some of them are expensive while some are just similar to google nest.

mesilverman
Community Member

Hi,
Along with the Google, I've set up two Velop systems and an Orbi system - all of which are still up and running. Each has its strengths and weakness. If I knew Google had this issue, I would not have purchased it and would have gone to one of these - likely based solely on price.

The Orbi system was set up in 2019 and is not Wifi6. I purchased it precisely because the router and satellites have multiple ports that allowed me to hardwire the ethernet to each of the satellites as well as multiple devices (Cloud Drive, Roku, television, amplifier etc). If I were to buy another, I would consider the Wifi6 models. That said, they are expensive and maybe overkill for most home users.

The Google is terrific for the average home user - if it didn't require constant rebooting. Unfortunately, this is a real problem for my use. If I could return it at this point, I would.

Good Luck!

Ddl
Community Member

Thanks for sharing your experience here. As one of the average home users, I only wanted to have a mesh network that has stable connections and more manageable setups such as scheduled reboots. But Google Nest seems to be failed on both of the goals. I would definitely consider paying more for better products if the low ends models (no matter which brand)  always have issues here or there. You've got what you've paid for, eventually.

Woollycat
Community Member

I am experiencing the same issue.  At least once a week network performance of the mesh degrades to require a restart.  Restart has to be done next to the master router as the rest of the mesh is down.

Kristofferwexio
Community Member

Same issue here as well. And it feels like it got worse the past few weeks. 

John111
Community Member

Google Nest simply does not work as it is supposed to.  I called the service line at 313-483-9127.  The tech had me change DNS settings.  Those changes ultimately made things worse.  Nest operates for a day or two, and then you have to unplug the router and points to reset it.  When it is down, you cannot reset the system using the app.  1/10.  Would not buy again.

HandyElectricia
Community Member

Same issues as everyone else.

I use a digital timer to turn off then back on at a time convenient for me.

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing:

myTouchSmart Simple Set 2-On/Off Indoor Digital Plug-In Bar Timer
https://www.homedepot.com/p/myTouchSmart-Simple-Set-2-On-Off-Indoor-Digital-Plug-In-Bar-Timer-36253/...
SKU# 300835220

Hope this is helpful 

Thank you, Darryl Wagner, CADA Solutions 

www.cada-solutions.com 

Yes, I think I am going to need to do something like this.  I've tried what Google has suggested and it still locks up.

ngnr
Community Member

I've had my network since the original Google WiFi product cane out. Zero issue... Until now. Team Nest needs to fix ASAP. 

Here is another device to consider. I am not endorsing it but it appears to be a valid alternative: https://www.amazon.com/ConnectSense-Automatically-Connection-Scheduled-Controller/dp/B08TN1QGJ3/ref=... 

bds120
Community Member

I purchased this and confirm it does reboots but does not really restore speed. It's definitely reboots because I see myself go offline then back on. But does not reboot the router like the Google Home does when it comes back with the sounds through all the pods. 

What I think happens when you reset using the Home app, is it's a complete IP renew and reset. 

dedens
Community Member

I have to manually restart the Nest Wifi and mesh several times a week because of a slow unstable connection. Restarting the main Wifi unit immediately resolves the issue. Restarting the mesh device does nothing to improve the WiFi speed. From my experience, the issue is with the main Nest Wifi device.