cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Scheduled network restart

nickp001
Community Member

Is there a way to schedule a Nest WiFi network restart?  I know I can use a smart plug and schedule an off/on, but I'd rather use a native method if at all possible.

269 REPLIES 269

TopCop72
Community Member

@nickp001wrote:

Is there a way to schedule a Nest WiFi network restart? I know I can use a smart plug and schedule an off/on, but I'd rather use a native method if at all possible.

Well since Google refuses to fix the issues with the 2nd Gen Mesh System with built-in Assistant and Also the 1st Gen Mesh System or even a hey we F'ed, here's a discount for our newer system. I went out and purchased the TP Link Deco AX3000 X55 Mesh System and let me tell you.... Wow, I couldn't be happier. I had the 3 pack for both Google Systems and now the 3 pack of the Deco... Which BTW has wifi6 and my range almost doubled and guess what... Zero lost signal and no dumb manual restarts 3 time a day. Obviously Google doesn't have customer support worthy of my money or yours.... I highly recommended dumping Google Wifi to anyone who reads this post. Unfortunately, I am still a assistant user with my displays but never again will it be Googles wifi...... Peace

Ddl
Community Member

Great sharing. All we need is to boycott gg nest until it is a dead product.

TopCop72
Community Member

The New Google Pro Wifi 6e..... New packing and same old issues with their wifi systems. Thank God I didn't do a round 3 of Googles attempt at wifi. But hey at least it looks like they are trying to fix it, can't say the same for Gen 1 and 2 though....

www.androidpolice.com/google-fixes-slow-nest-wifi-pro-speeds-numbers-look-low

Dgden
Community Member

I do have an update on mine but not sure if this will help newer gen wifi but I followed an advice I saw on one of these forums and turned off all Preferred activities on my first gen Google WiFi: I have two check boxes one for Video conferencing and another for Gaming. I had Video conferencing checked and turned it off (gaming was already off). Since then my speeds appear to be stable for while 2 weeks+ now without restarts, fingers crossed. Maybe it will work for someone else.

TopCop72
Community Member

But on the flipside, why should we have to disable something to it to work as intended with that on or off? But yes great to there may be some light at the end of the tunnel....

Dgden
Community Member

Oh I wholeheartedly agree but at least I don't have to dump a rather expensive and previously liked investment over Google's inability to do proper testing on their products. Based on my experience with a few products and services from Google, they are a company that favors development and features over QA and that's a mistake. Customer loyalty and appreciation are much more tied to quality and stability vs advanced features used by smaller set of customers.

TopCop72
Community Member

1,000% agree.... But I'm sell both my Gen 1 and Gen 2.... I ended up dumping Google Mesh in favor of TP-Link Deco X55. I guess in that I have WIFI 6 in the home. But I've been reading about Google WIFI Pro and it's just as messed up as the ended up making Gen 1 and 2.

Nahaknayr
Community Member

Same issue for me, thinking of throwing the entire system out. I can’t keep on restarting my network.

I am not a spokesperson by any means, I have the Gen 1 and Gen 2 but as soon as the talks for Google Mesh Pro started my system took a dump like yours. Look in to either TP-Link Deco X55 or X60 3 pack. I went with the X55 and LOVE THE F* OUT OF IT

richbutler1
Community Member

I went with one place using digital timers (one on main unit, one on another point that kept dropping) and at my other condo moved to a single router: TP-Link AX1500 Smart WiFi 6. A steal at $77 new with great coverage, speed, stability. Will not get G networking again. Timer has battery backup as well for power outages to preserve programmed schedule and time. On Amazon for $11: NICREW Outlet Timer, 24 Hours Programmable and Plug in Timer for Electrical Outlets Indoor, Digital Timer for Aquarium Light and Lamp, 15A / 1800W Hope this helps folks.

NesterW
Community Member

Inside Google Home, I disabled Preferred Activities by unchecking Video Conferencing and Gaming as suggested by someone above, for the last couple of days I've had no slow downs \o/ Fingers crossed it will keep working normally!

This never work for me 😞

DoubleOhZero
Community Member

I've had Google WiFi for about six years. When we were forced to switch from the Google WiFi app to the Google Home app is when this whole mess started. Prior to Google Home the system was rock solid. Now I literally need to reboot daily or the speed drops so low that I can't even do a restart with the Google Home app. Connections are not a problem. Everything stays connected, just the speed drops to less than 1Mbps, then less than 100Kbps.

The fact that this thread has been here so long without even the simple addition of an automated restart shows complete disrespect for the user community by Google. I have six nodes, so replacing it is a costly option, especially since it's all related to a memory leak of some sort.

Just fix the thing, Google! This is embarrassing!

Try going into settings -> preferred activities and turning off video conferencing. That solved it for me. 

This also solved it for me a few weeks ago

bgilly
Community Member

this also solved it for me.  I've gone 2 weeks without any slow-down, used to be one day to half speed or less.

OK. I've made the change. Now to wait and see what happens. Thanks!

Never work for me

SarahNZ
Community Member

Same issue here in 2023 🙂 

Sure would like that auto restart since it doesn't actually seem to be an issue the team can resolve

Try going into settings -> preferred activities and turning off video conferencing. That solved it for me. 

Nahaknayr
Community Member

Try going into settings -> preferred activities and turning off video conferencing. That solved it for me. Its been over a month with no need to restart.

evanfort
Community Member

So, I did try what some people above mentioned and turned off prioritization the google meet and that seems to have resolved my issue. It's still buggy junk and google refuses to fix it.. but good enough for now.

Mimo1
Community Member

I have Nest Pro mesh as of Dec 2022 - the same issue. Requiring Restart Network every few days to bump up speeds from about 10 to 300.

Yikes, it carried over to the newer model
Something they truly need to fix.

Kurelgyer
Community Member

I have the same issues as everyone.  While restarting the network temporarily makes the network barely usable again, speeds are nowhere near where they should be.  I turned off prioritization a couple months ago - it was not a lasting solution for me.

I'm thinking of boxing up all my Google/Nest Wifi devices and mailing them to Sundar with a printed copy of this thread.  It's ridiculous.  

Like many of you, I'm the family and friend "tech guy".  Early on, I recommended Google Wifi to a lot of people - and they got it.  Now, I suffer constant complaints from those people.  If you love someone, don't encourage them to go Google.

bds120
Community Member

Screw Google's wifi, it's trash and I'm no longer dealing with it. This **bleep** will be going on eBay tomorrow right after my TP Link Deco AXE5400 (Deco XE75) gets delivered and set up tomorrow. We have the 4 pack nest purchased from Costco, and I wish I never bought it. Should have went with my gut and said buy a real networking device and not one trying to be a **bleep** speaker and intercoms and everything else. This **bleep** is trash and I'm an Android fan and love Google phones and etc but they can throw this off the top of their headquarter building!

richbutler1
Community Member

Over a year later and nothing. This is absolute dumpster fire level product support. Whomever monitors this page for Google should be let go. No periodic updates. Not one reply with anything affirmative being done. The only takeaway is buyer beware any hardware from Google outside their phones. The only rationale I can think of is this is hardware constrained like memory/storage for some nat or other log or map or array. Silence speaks volumes. The very least they could do is offer a scheduled restart capability in the administration choices. My $70 TP-Link router that I replaced these with can do that. What a hot mess.

bds120
Community Member

Installed TPLink XE75 3 pack yesterday like I said I would and we are getting 35mbps OVER what we pay for with 3 access points across the entire house compared to that trash 4 access points Google garbage. This is going straight to eBay or fb marketplace TODAY!! Can't believe I dealt with this garbage for so long. 

Good riddance Nest Wifi! Hope you all also make the change to whatever routers of your choosing, guaranteed they will be better than the Nest. 

canadianwhiskey
Community Member

I just setup the new Nest WiFi pro after years of using the Google WiFi without issue and it has been a headache.  Constantly require reboots and seemly no support from Google is frustrating.  I am seriously considering going back to my old setup just because of reliability concerns with the new network.

Cymrix
Community Member

Been having the issue with our down/up hitting 10% of what it should, until I restart the google mesh/network.  And this is even with computers directly connected via LAN, so I know it's not just a WIFI thing.  It's worse lately than it ever was for me.  Needing to restart daily now.  I haven't tried a factory reset, because I don't want to deal with it.  I'll try the suggestion of doing a speed test through the home wifi app, instead of restarting, next time.  Seems this product is like everything else "google" for the last 5 years or so, just a cash grab without any real money or talent put into it.  Eventually I'll replace this with something non-google, just so I'm out from under their **bleep** umbrella.

I’m installed Tapo smart plug at main router and schedule reboot every 2 days. It works but I knew it is not a best solution. I suspect the router RAM memory full issue. Reboot router just to clear the RAM memory.

ShellDude
Community Member

Okay, Google.  Enough is enough.   I'm guessing they dropped a new firmware because I'm back to having to reset my main mesh router every other day.   It had been (somewhat) stable.

fruga
Community Member

It definitely has gotten worse.  I've had to do it a few times a day now.  😞

Vancelot
Community Member

What firmware version are you on?

fruga
Community Member

Software version: 14150.376.32

wibbeler
Community Member

I was having a similar problem but I found that by un-checking video under "Preferred Activities", the problem went away. I just suggested this to a colleague having the same problem and it fixed it for him, too (immediately his video call stream went from unusable to fine).

Bën
Community Member

I actually resolved this issue with an old school timer plug. Hope this helps anyone still having issues with auto reboots. 

incazteca
Community Member

Is there any fix for this issue? The only real long term solution I see is just getting a new router and forcing a class action to get my money back

Ddl
Community Member

As the new generation of Nest wifi pro is about to arrive I am wondering if they have fixed the issues on the new product. I hope google have a trade in plan for the sufferers of the Google nest.