I have been having an issue with my Nest Wifi for over 6 months and can't seem to solve it. I am on a Verizon gigabit connection, although my speed tests in the Home app usually don't exceed 900mbps (but that's a Verizon issue).
I have 1 Nest router connected via Cat5e in living room Main level, 1 Nest Point in basement, 1 Google WiFi point in 2nd level hallway in 4,500 square foot house. The routers are almost positioned over/under one another in basement, living room, and 2nd Level, so the signal only has to travel through 1 ceiling/floor and about 20 feet. After several days testing different placement of each point, I thought this would give me the best coverage for entire house.
However, speeds upstairs regularly dip to below 1mbps. The basement can be better, up to 45mbps, but it can be wildly inconsistent, dipping to below 5mbps frequently, so watching a show like Hawkeye on Disney+ or The Witcher on Netflix will buffer, sometimes as bad as every 5 minutes, and quality will degrade for a while, then be in perfect 4K for a while. I have an LG C1 TV in the basement and I ran a speed test app on the TV and over the course of 10 minutes the speeds fluctuated between 500kbps to 45mbps. Restarting the network seems to help for a few minutes. Multiple hard resets didn't help. It seems to be worse at night, so I'm not sure if it's frequency interference although I don't think so because I don't live in a dense setting and I though the whole point of Nest Wifi was it was supposed be smart about choosing a better frequency.
When I run a mesh test it's inconsistent. At 8:30pm last night I ran a mesh and both points had "great connection". But I ran it again at 11pm and they had a "weak connection". It is usually inconsistent like this,
Has anyone had any success in remedying a situation like this? Is this Nest WiFI product just not that good? After 6 months of tribulations I am seriously thinking of picking up a different mesh network. It's like having this massive data pipeline coming into the house, but I can only get a drip out of all my data faucets. This is frustrating!
Right there with ya "brother". There must have been some major changes back 6+ months ago. Many of us are seeing the similar issues. There are many threads here about seeing good bandwidth to the router (with the internal speed test), but connected devices have very, very poor bandwidth. All pointing at some sort of issue with the router and/or firmware itself. I'm not a betting person, but I'd bet these issues are connected in some way. The timeline points to this. I just wish they'd fix it.