cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

WiFi without ethernet

Tim109
Community Member

Hi all, trying to change my isp to Verizon. The 5g ultra wideband  already has a router but I like my existing mesh network created with my google devices.  I want to connect my google WiFi main router without an Ethernet cable (connect to the WiFi network created by the Verizon device, then use the secondary WiFi network created by the google devices). Is this possible? 

4 REPLIES 4

PatrickP_Viking
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Unfortunately it is not.

Your Verizon router cannot create a mesh network with the Google wifi devices you already have. The Verizon and Google devices cannot connect to each other as a mesh. You theoretically can connect the Verizon router via Ethernet to the Google device but it would creating a Double NAT situation that will stop all data traffic.

Two suggestions:

1. Disable the wifi on the Verizon device and put it in bridge mode. This will make it basically a modem and the Google device you connect will serve as the router. You might have to contact Verizon Support if they have the device locked down where you can't make changes.
  2. Purchase your own model compatible with the Verizon service, have Verizon provision it for their service, connect the Google device as the router.

Personally, I have found that, like in option 2, buying your own modem is a lot better that using one of theirs, if available; they should have info on their site. Yes, it does require some investment initially, but they can't lock it down but to a certain extent since they don't own it. And as a bonus, I have always gotten better average speeds and usually higher speeds than what I subscribe to (anywhere from 20-50+ more than the "up to" highest speed). This is due to them not having as much control of the device which prevents throttling.

Sorry it can't be done but the above should give you  some options to move forward with.

Hey folks, 

We appreciate your help here, @PatrickP_Viking.
@Tim109, I wanted to follow up and see if you are still in need of any help. Please let me know if you are still having any concerns or questions from here, as I would be happy to take a closer look and assist you further.

Thanks,
Mel

Hey everyone,

I wanted to follow up and see if you are still in need of any help. Please let me know if you are still having any concerns or questions from here, as I would be happy to take a closer look and assist you further.

Thanks,
Mel

Hi there,

Just one quick final check in here since activity has slowed down. We'll be locking the thread in the next 24 hours, but if you still need help, I would be happy to keep it open. If there's more we can do, just let me know.

Thanks,
Mel