cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Wired / Wireless Upload speeds capped at 100mbps? ATT Fiber

sliderkb2
Community Member

I have gigabit internet through att fiber and just bought a google nest wifi 2 pack a week ago. Setup was a breeze and everything looked good until I noticed my upload speeds were capped at 100mbps on every device behind the nest. Google advised a replacement so I did just that. Everything looked perfect for a day - i was getting expected speeds for wired at 800mbps and wireless was around 300 - 400mbps up and down. I check today - same issue as before where all devices are getting great download speeds but capped at 100mbps upload. I found out, however, that if I select a device as priority in google home, that device now works as I expect. Its like the nest is throttling every device in my network for some reason unless i say otherwise. The priority settings fixes both wired and wireless settings. Im pretty sure the problem must be on the Google side since that change fixes the issue. If I could prioritize all devices 24 hours a day, I would be happy with that workaround 🙂

For reference the setup is

ATT ONT --- ATT Router (bypass mode) --- Google Wifi

Wifi has been disabled on the ATT router and that router is now simply forwarding all traffic to the google nest. I put in a ticket with google who requested I put the router in bypass mode and force DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, These changes made no difference. They then requested logs and are reviewing the files I sent them via the home app and will get back to me. During testing, they told me not to prioritize a device but thats the only way things work as they should. Im seriously considering returning the nest wifi but wanted to hear if anyone else had issues like this. Again, two different nest routers having the exact same issue. 

I put in a ticket with ATT who said there should be nothing on their end throttling the traffic. If I plug my computer into the same att router port as the google wifi (move the nest off the port, then replace with my computer), the computer links up at a gig and the speeds look fine. 

832 REPLIES 832

Thanks @barthomas guess I'm up for a factory reset then, this is a crap resolution for something that should be as simple as a toggle switch 😞  Will I also need to contact Google Support though to get them to clear the cloud database??

Well unfortunately I spoke too soon 😢
The issue has returned and I am on the phone with Google Support again.
Getting only 10% of my purchased bandwidth is a no no.
Hoping for a real fix!
Here is the contact support page for quick reference https://support.google.com/googlenest/gethelp

RS
Community Member

Has anyone received the new firmware yet? And, if you have has it improved things any? Thanks

steelgtr
Community Member

Not me.

sleeplessinseat
Community Member

I haven't received the new firmware. Over the weekend, I swapped out Nest wifi with an Orbi 752 router and 2 satellites. The setup was a real pain in the behind and connection was real spotty for a day. However, the kinks have smoothened out in a day and now I get blazing fast speeds everywhere. I pay for 600Mbps and I am getting close to that over a wireless backhaul everywhere. Glad I made the switch. I miss the simplicity and ease of use of the Nest Wifi though. Its a bummer, Google screwed the pooch on this one.

RS
Community Member

Hi, here's the update: I am running the new firmware at this time.  Have had it for a few days and no discernible improvement in mesh download speeds. And, yep done a complete reboot and restart after the update. My set up: Router + 2 AP  (nest wifi router, nest wifi router as 1 AP, google wifi as 2nd AP) and on xfinity's 900/25 plan. Prior to the update, my mesh wifi had download speeds of ~300 mbps across the 2 access points (150-200 on nest AP and 50-100 on Google wifi AP).  This bumps up slightly during the day after the update.  However, I have seen a new issue emerging over  the last month wherein, my mesh network consistently loses speed every evening between 7 and midnight - so if I am getting 300 mbps between the 2 points during the day, it drops to <200 mbps every evening, while overall router speeds don't  decline! These speeds are courtesy of the Home and gwifi apps.  It appears that either the network is turning on phantom priority devices (I have never used this setting) or it is managing wifi bandwidth differently from earlier. NS what is going on here and what the answer is given I haven't seen any notes on what, if anything, the latest firmware does for end users. Jeff - do you have notes on what the latest and greatest firmware does/fixes/changes? And, if yes, then can you share? 

Looking forward to hearing whether the latest and greatest has fixed issues for anyone ...I will let the community know if I see additional improvements or lack of over the next month. Cheers, all!

wireddave
Community Member

Running the new firmware and after a factory reset there’s still zero improvement.  I’m only paying for 150 Mbps, but no matter where I am in the house I get no faster than 100 unless I prioritize a device.  I plugged in my old Netgear router and voilà - 165 Mbps - but that causes issues with jitter and delays in video calls, which I can’t have.

After more than 1 year waiting for fixes and improvements there is no surprise that google released a piece of $%^$ once again! I guess that a couple of monkeys are coding the softwares.

PeteCat
Community Member

I have been having the same issue for about a week now, FIOS Gigabit with Google Wi-Fi router and 2 points (only getting 100 mbps over WiFi and wired connections to router). 

I may have found a solution.  In the Google Home app > WiFI > Settings, I turned OFF the setting to prioritize video conferencing.  Now getting 950/900 mbps on wired devices and 450/400 over wi-fi (comparable to what I was getting before the issue started).  It has only been an hour or so, will update if the fix continues to work.

@PeteCat that's a great thought! I am trying the same.

Also how are you running your tests? Ookla speed test or fast.com or Mlab seem to give different results. Iperf is a great tool to confirm the cable or network switch etc is not a bottleneck.

**Also I just realized the different laptops I am testing with have different LAN/WiFi cards that are limited in their max speeds so make sure you are testing with the right device 🙂

I usually use the Google speed test (type speed test into chrome and run the test right from search results).

I also used the My Verizon speed test, which confirmed the verizon router was getting gigabit speeds, but all devices on the Google WiFi were only getting 100 mbps, which confirmed it was a Google WiFi issue.  Prioritizing a device on the WiFi also fixed the issue (temporarily), but the video conference setting seems to have resolved it for all my devices.

Hope that helps.  

steelgtr
Community Member

Nah, Mine and all other services have been off for months.

RS
Community Member

Same here. Never used them. Turned those options off when Gwifi introduced them ... 

PeteCat
Community Member

Update:  the fix worked for about a week, now back to ~100 mbps speed test on all devices, including in Google home app.  Verizon Fios router showing 960 mbps, everything after Google router only 100 mbps.  Google Wi-Fi had been working with full Gigabit speeds for over a year, then all of a sudden started throttling in early April.  Guessing due to a software update.  Might be time to start shopping for a new solution.  Frustrating.

PeteCat
Community Member

Update 2 (27-Apr-2022):  decided to ditch the Google WiFi and just go with the latest Fios WiFi 6 router that comes with a free extender (I was on a very old Fios router, just using it as a network switch with google for wi-fi).  The FIOS equipment arrived today, before installing did another speed test and all of a sudden the Google WiFi is back to Gigabit speeds, along with all devices on the network.  now what do I do?

How many Google Wi-Fi units were plugged in when you ran that test? Was it hardwired or Wi-Fi?

Hardwired Google Wi-Fi router plus 2 access points (APs not hardwired).  Gigabit speeds showed on Google home app speed test, a desktop hardwired to the router, and Wi-Fi devices showed 300-400 mbps.  But it was short-lived, 2 days later back to <100 mbps everywhere.

Yeah, plugged straight in to the main point did get me better speeds on the Google Wi-Fi unit.

but if I plugged my computer or laptop to an access point, I had much slower speeds. It seems like they just don’t mesh at high speeds. 

If you want to keep with google you can upgrade to the Google Nest Wi-Fi setup and will get you a potential max of a couple hundred more GBPS.

if anyone needed to hardwire you can buy multiple main units as they can act as an access point and transfer data at higher speeds. They (the nest router, not access points) also give you the ability to hardwire wherever you want.

I noticed that as well, even hardwired into the (non-hardwired) Google AP would only get about 400 mbps max.  

Going to ditch the Google, though I will miss the controls and device monitoring/data usage from the Home app.  The main new FIOS router is now setup, getting 990/850 mbps wired, and 600/400 over wi-fi, which is better than I got on the wireless from google.  The extender/AP from Verizon was faulty so waiting on a replacement.  But with the coax/ethernet wiring in my house I will also be able to hardwire the AP, which was not possible on the Google with my wiring setup.  So overall I think this setup will work better for me.  Still a shame Google cannot fix this, as it is obviously a software issue (not counting the mesh not performing at full gigabit, but that I could have lived with).

Android_Erick
Community Member

To be honest, I had my Google WiFi system for about 5 years.. and I was very happy for about 4 of those years and the last year it just kept getting worse. I don't know that it was a software issue and not just the hardware starting to fail, especially with outdated wifi tech.

Moral is, I bought a 3pack mesh wifi system from Costco for $270 (normally priced $330) called the Tp-Link Deco AX3600 (aka Deco x68 on the tp-link website). It's a tri-band mesh router system with wifi 6 (not 6E, no 6ghz channel) rated for 7,000 ft². For my 1800 ft², 2-story townhome a 2pack from Walmart would have worked, but it was only $40 more with the sale for 3, so more range and better signal through walls and whatnot. So far it's been AMAZING! I pay for 300mbps download and get 350mbps in almost every single corner of the home. I used to barely get signal with Google wifi at the edge of my driveway and now I get 200mbps about 4 driveway lengths down the road. It's exceptional. They also just released a 3pack of nearly the same thing as what I bought but with wifi 6E (meaning the 3rd band is a 6ghz channel instead my systems wireless backhaul channel) for only $350. So you can future-proof with wifi 6E if you want, but I decided to stick with the previous model since I think it may be better to have a triband with a wireless backhaul channel (it keeps the signal between mesh devices better than without one) than an extra short-range channel like 6ghz. No reviews out for that one either so it's a risk, but everyone who has reviewed the Deco x68 has said pretty positive things about it. Especially technology-wise.

One downside is they do offer a subscription with more features that costs like $6/mo or $55/y.. but I don't think most people need it. It mainly has some specific parental controls and usage reports.. which could be nice if you need to specifically track individual devices web site traffic and data usage and want to block certain apps on your kids phone after a certain time or hours. Cool stuff, but not necessary from a wifi device. Hence the extra charges.

Lastly, I JUST read an article that suggests Google is working on a wifi 6 successor to the Nest wifi.. but I don't have any clue how soon that will be or if it won't have software issues itself. I can't wait.. and I can't afford a quad-band $1500 Orbi system. I know people in this channel like Eero and I looked into that too, but as one trusted tech reviewer said, Amazon should be giving Eeros away and not charging a penny with the privacy policy you are forced to agree to. Amazon knows plenty about me, I don't need them to know every single site I travel to so they can better sell my info to partners. Also the tech specs are more low budget than the Deco system that is cheaper. I'm sticking with the Deco system and if I have any issues, I'll update this post 🙂

I tried so hard to stay with Google Wi-Fi, even to the point of considering purchasing 3 main Nest Wi-Fi routers to have the Ethernet ports set up where I want them. However, I found a review that explained (not derived from Google) that the Google and Nest Wi-Fi do not mesh at the advertised speeds. With that, I also went and tried a Deco System, AX3000. Less expensive than the AX3600, but wow do these bad boys perform. From google Wi-Fi (300 Mbps, to Deco AX3000 750 Mbps).

I did call customer support too and that call was on point (Deco). Rep knew exactly what needed to be done and got it done in minutes with precision.

I’m sorry Google, but I called support and was promised by the rep, 2 things, both of which were false promises. 

We have no updates, no guidance, and no steps of any sort of resolution.

Best internet move for price and performance has been going with Deco. I’m sorry again Google, but, you literally made me speak up and leave the Google.

wireddave
Community Member

So now it seems my Ookla speed tests are perfect until I use the speed test in the Google Home app.  After that, the Ookla speed tests slow down too.  The next day, Ookla tests are fine again.  It doesn’t matter which device does the testing.  Crazy, right?

pulzion
Community Member

Writing this in 19th April 2022 and the issue is still not resolved.

I got 500/500Mbit/s and are getting those speeds with ISP router or directly plugged into incoming fiber port. Through Google Nest Router iam capped at 100/100Mbit/s.

Not related to cables because iam running fresh CAT6 cables. This is an software issue that Google havent been able to resolve in over 6 months..

Anyone actually got any help or solutions from Google?

Elbon
Community Member

I've now given up on Google nest. I've struggled with this for a couple of years now. I ordered TP Link Deco mesh, it's arriving tomorrow

huck5
Community Member

Which device did you get? Researching the TP-Link Deco X90 to replace the Nest router and 3 Nest end points. 

Eero works amazingly well and Amazon will give you a trade in credit toward the new device. 

How much trade in?

Like $100? 

vhall
Community Member

I am based in the UK and just got full fibre installed 900mb/s up & down from vodafone. I have Google Wifi plugged into the vodafone routeur and the Google Home app shows 900 up/down however doing a speed check on my mac/iphone (wifi) shows 60mb up and 50mb down. Connecting directly to the vodafone router through mac/iphone (wifi) I get the expected (realistic) speed of 500mb up/down. There is definitely an issue with throttling on Google Wifi seeing as from both devices (mac/iphone) i am getting completely different results and as the home app shows 900mb up/down it rules out an issue with ethernet cable causing a bottleneck... any suggestions? I have the same issue when setting priority device

bfink
Community Member

Piling on...bought the 4-pack from Costco because it seemed to be a great deal. Swapped out my current router (where I get 900 down) and couldn't get over 100 with google wifi. The new firmware was automatically downloaded when I set it up.

I performed a factory reset the next day and used a different point in the hope that it was one piece of faulty hardware - same behavior. Have since returned the 4-pack.

wrighteous
Community Member

I'm just here in solidarity with you, having the exact same issues. Sucks.. Getting ready to return my Nest and just drop Cat 6 through the walls.

ccnokes
Community Member

I'm seeing the same issue -- I have 200mbps from Xfinity Comcast and when I speed test my Google Home I get 200mbps or greater down, but if I speed test any of my devices on wifi I get ~20mbps. I'm working on getting a hardwired setup so I can continue to work from home but this is seriously disruptive and Google needs to fix ASAP.

rickangeles
Community Member

So how do we get the class action lawsuit going? 😂

😂

Frankie-Kyle
Community Member

same issue as everyone else. any solutions yet?

Nope.. At the moment iam going through the outsourced Google "tech" support that is clueless and just keeps asking for more information even though its stated in the initial ticket 🙂

#soon

The mesh doesn’t cast at speeds past 350 MBPS (only self-tested).

You will have to find a difference solution. I went with Deco AX3000 and am now getting around 700-750 MBPS.

Well.. What about 100/100 capped only wired? 😉

Getting 500/500 through ISP router, 100/100 with Nest.

Is that wired to the main unit or to one of the access points?

The nest points doesnt have any input/output for wired.

Its: Incoming fiber > Nest Router > PC = Capped at 100/100 (as many other ppl in this thread).

All CAT6 fresh cables and so on.. If i remove the Nest Router and plug in my ISP its getting 500/500 😂